Wife and I just got a new car

I really don't know much about the transmission on it. My friend has one and that thing is very comfy on the passenger side. I can only imagine how it must be to be in the driver's side. I like manuals myself, but a paddle shifter isn't too bad if you get used to how to control it.

You're welcome. :D

yeah, I've never driven a manual but I am not even considering an auto. (i'm going to learn to drive manual BEFORE I test drive cars :p) I really wish the car that I have was manual 'cause I get frustrated with the transmission sometimes, it won't do what I want it to. I hate that. Need more controll!

I read a bit on CarAndDriver.com about the new Audi TT's and they have a fancy-schmancy auto-manual tranny (transmission, not transsexual... if they had one of those I'd run and buy it right now!) and said that they'd tested some auto-manuals before that some (gave a list) were better than others (gave a list with the Z4 on it) but none of them had come close to the Audi's... at least I think it was the Audi.... I'll have to go back and see.

Just did some reading up on the gearbox in the TT. It looks damn nice, if they put that tranny in other performance cars I would definitely be all for it. The TT just lacks the performance I like in a car of its price. And compared to the M3 I don't think it corners as gracefully or as easily either. Handling is another thing to consider and Bimmers do that in spades.

Sadly the 3 series is undergoing a transformation for 2006, so if you're wanting 'the latest', then you'll have to wait until mid next year to buy. Or 2007 for the new M3.

Or you could use it as a way to get a cheaper 3.

(And, IMHO, the 5's and 6's are just too f'n expensive)

Sage said:
yeah, I've never driven a manual but I am not even considering an auto.
I have a bit of a funny story about that from yesterday.... :oops:

Me and my wife have a Quest mini-van & a Pathfinder that we generally used to swap with fairly regularly during the summer, but now that school started up again I've been using mini-van pretty exclusively for the last few weeks. (It's a LOT better at hauling around the kids, and that's pretty much all I do)

The Pathfinder is a 5-speed, as me and my wife both prefer standard to auto...but the Quest only came in automatic. :?

Well, it's kind of nice since it's one less thing to think about with the kids...but it took a hell of a long time for me to get used to. I kept trying to shift. :rolleyes: :oops:

Yesterday I went out for a bit when my wife was home and she was parked in back of me so I took the Pathfinder. I pulled up to my daughters pre-school and a bunch of parents/teachers just happened to be by the front door waving and smiling and I smiled back and threw the mini-van into park....

...and the Pathfinders windshield wipers fired up and windshield washer squirty-fluid spat all over the windshield as I totally stalled the engine in gear. :oops:

GOTTA keep your vehicles straight!

well, I'm in no big hurry... Although the 6series is looking quite nice it's too much for not exactly what I want

Sonic said:
Just did some reading up on the gearbox in the TT. It looks damn nice, if they put that tranny in other performance cars I would definitely be all for it. The TT just lacks the performance I like in a car of its price. And compared to the M3 I don't think it corners as gracefully or as easily either. Handling is another thing to consider and Bimmers do that in spades.

The gearbox is not bad, but the car itself sucks from the driving POV. It's very damn unstable, the ESP kills all the fun you could eventually have if it didn't fly out of every curve :rolleyes:

Sage said:
Thanks for the suggestions, Sonic. I was previously not even looking at the M3 but now I think I'll have to give it a try. However, I have read that the SMG on the M3's is below par when it comes to auto-manual transmissions.

What do you mean? SMG is the fastest switching and sportiest thing there is. It can't deal with torque higher than 500 Nm at the moment though, if that's what you meant. But I'm not sure anyone needs more than that for private use ;)

Edit:
I wholehartedly recommend you M3, if you can afford one. If you drive a lot, I'd rather look for an AMG. The C32 Kompressor is one hell of a machine and much more comfortable / less demanding compared to an M3 (which is more of a sports car and will make your spine two inches shorter after 200 km of constant driving :D ).

Oh yeah: all current Mercedes have manual, but it's an extra option. All current AMG's always have manual. Not with paddles - we have +/- buttons on the back of the steering wheel.

On Chrysler issue: Mercedes didn't actually merge with Chrysler, they rather took it over/bought it. The Crossfire, for instance, is 100% an old Merc SLK under the hood.

well I'm certainly glad I posted here. There are some very good opinions being expressed.

And Mercedes buying Chrystler... okay that sounds a bit better than merging with them. ANd I do rather like the +/- buttons ;)

I think what it will ultimately come down to is the test-drives. _xxx_ did you drive a Quattro? I play-raced with an A4 1.8T Quattro on the way to work today. I loved the little thing, it could have easily kicked my ass.

And, I was mistaken on the M3's tranny... I was thinking of the Z4's, but still the Audi is claimed to be better...

http://caranddriver.com/article.asp?section_id=16&article_id=7869
The Direct Shift Gearbox is a cake-and-eat-it-too tranny of the sort engineers have spent decades striving for—one that combines the efficiency of a manual with the effortlessness of an automatic. We've reported on plenty of automated manuals over the past decade, finding some (the BMW M3's, the Ferrari Enzo's) to perform better than others (the BMW Z4's, the Toyota MR2 Spyder's).

All such systems we've tested to date use conventional manual transmissions to which are mounted little electromechanical gizmos that assume the tasks a driver's wrist, elbow, and left foot would otherwise perform in manipulating a shifter and clutch pedal. Even the quickest-shifting of these still requires a momentary gap in the power delivery, because they all must release the clutch while a new gear is selected. And that has doomed these boxes as a replacement for the conventional automatic in mainstream vehicles.

The dual-clutch concept eliminates the torque gap by releasing the clutch driving one gear just as a clutch connected to the next gear engages. Like so many good ideas that have come into production recently, this one is nothing new. It was first tried at Citroën more than 70 years ago, and it even saw duty in Porsche 962 and Audi Quattro race cars during the mid-'80s. But the primitive electronics of the day made the system difficult to tune for commercially comfortable launches and smooth shifting, and system reliability fell somewhat shy of the four-year/50,000-mile warranty target.

Audi's are quite unreliable I thought.

Taken a look at a G35C?

Go to edmunds.com for some decent reviews of cars.

G35C is an inifinity it looks like by googling.... I'd rather not go that low. I want to go with a well-known name, ie Mercede's, BMW, Jaguar, Audi, Porche (will not be getting a Jag or Porche tho... already looked at them but they need tooooo much maint).

I did, but quattro is a different beast. You do get better traction then with conventional stuff.

Merc and BMW also have that, named differently. Merc calls it "4matic", dunno 'bout BMW's naming.

Audis are mostly crap. It's just a souped up VW. And: the worst kind of idiots arround here drive Audi. The image somehow attracts them. I just saw one today: 1800cc machine with mere 110 hp, but a HUUGE wing at his ass and a skirt almost scratching the street, 255mm tires reaching 5 inches outside the housing... o_O o_O o_O

Edit:
Audi's double-cluch tranny is very good, thoug it also can't handle more than 300-400 Nm

Wow, looks like "rice" is everywhere and it is impossible to escape it.

The VW/Audi 1.8t engine is an interesting piece of technology but I would definitely stay away from it. There are horror stories of coil packs failing or something or other. That doesn't have to do with the engine itself, but it is a prominent problem on most 1.8t equipped Jettas and Golfs. VW is the Mitsubishi of Europe.

Stay away from Jaguar, by all means please do. Seems like the company went from the old Jag reliability, which was horrible, to Ford reliability.

Have you looked at any Cadillacs? Might be too American for you but ah well. They may be a tad bit overpriced however.

The new Pontiac GTO isn't a bad option if you're getting an 05 with the LS2 engine. But I have decided to skip that and go for a new Vette when the Z06 or Z07 version comes out, whatever it will be called. That will probably be my road course car after some upgraded suspension.

My next toy will not be an F430 becaise I cannot stand the reliability of Ferrari's. The cars are bautiful machines, but the maintenance is not worth the time owning it. Not the expenses I'm worried about just the downtime the car would have. Any cars that are comparable to the neew F car but from a better company. Gallardo anyone?

I've alway sbeen interested in the Z12.

Hmm, what is your price range?

I think best bang for the buck could be an M3.

price range is 20-60. the lower the better, of course. Definitely sounds like the M3 is the most appealing at this point...

Automatics have reduced performance. First the weight issues, they are heavier, they make it slower and less fuel efficient -- dependent on the driver. Furthermore, automatics waste power due to the torque convertor.

Saem said:
Automatics have reduced performance. First the weight issues, they are heavier, they make it slower and less fuel efficient -- dependent on the driver. Furthermore, automatics waste power due to the torque convertor.

Yes, but in stop and go hair-pulling traffic they're great.
That said, I drive a manual (but HATE bad traffic).

Autos are also better for talking on the cell phone whilst turning and shifting ;)

Back