Why does Sony create such wacky architectures?

SH3 has particles effect... all the fogging effects are just simple vertex fog now ? ;)

PS2 has much higher untextured fill-rate than Xbox or GC and that is a fact... which can be used...

Yes it takes fillrate, but there are games that already demonstrate it on other consoles. I don't see any reason why N2 can't do it ingame. VF4 has particle effects too ;)

of course they can do it too in game, just not with the same speed PS2 does... and saving speed in that effect might lead to PS2 using the remaining power to close the gap with other consoles with more flexible GPUs... and that is why games like SH3, MGS2 and Z.O.E. 2 make PS2 look SO good ( they look like GOOD quality Xbox games and they also demonstarte that PS2 is in the same generation as Xbox and GC )...

Sonic:
But this situation has changed for the most part, I'm even starting to see PS2 games with textures that look better than even the best Dreamcast games graphics wise.
It doesn't help DC's cause that original development for it got frozen somewhere between second and third-generation software. Even its best-looking games like F355 and Sonic Adventure 2 dated back to projects started near the Dreamcast/Naomi launch (Sonic Adv. 2 was a modified Sonic Adv. 1 engine, according to Sonic Team USA programmers). This is in contrast to the PS2 platform where the lionshare of industry projects to this day continue to be designed specifically around its specs.

And, if you would, point me to some PS2 games with significantly better-looking texturing than Grandia 2 or Sonic Adventure 2.

Almasy:
There´s also games that DC would have a lot of trouble even trying to mimmick, games like GT3, MGS2 and FFX I doubt would be able to be reproduced perfectly, and it could be argued that those are merely first generation games.
Then again, I haven't seen the PS2 reproduce the eye-popping clarity in detail from games like Grandia 2, Sonic Adventure 2, and F355 either. You lose a lot when you go from progressive to interlaced, with half of your resolution over time getting thrown out the window.
Going from SoA to FFX is a serious jump in visual quality. How about reproducing Jak&Daxter or the polygonal complexity of Ratchet & Clank?
I agree that the PS2 ups the sophistication of certain visual elements, but the fact that only 9 or so games have the ability to be output in high-res with every update means that playing PS2 usually means sacrifcing something much more noticeable.

I mean, I could look at Soul Calibur II down at my local arcade right now, and I could sit there and take note of increased complexity in the character models and the backgrounds and things like that over the Dreamcast prequel. But, if I were stand the two versions up against each other, there's no doubt that the proscan VGA in my DC Soul Calibur makes it look much better than the Soul Calibur II arcade machine with its dull display. And that's really what it comes down to - what looks better in the end. Now, Soul Calibur II on PS2 may very well come with proscan capability, but that's still only one more acceptable game in a PS2 library with FAR too few. The Dreamcast was cheaper, came out earlier than the PS2, and yet has a library of 250+ pro-scan/VGA compatible games. It was a standard for the platform... the PS2 really has no excuse, despite how few other people take advantage of VGA/HDTV. If it was done on Dreamcast, it should have been done on PS2 because it makes a big visual difference in the end.
DC showed the absolute best it could do in Shenmue 2, and it is pretty clear that its limitations are very apparent.
So... Dreamcast was some magic box that managed to be fully maxxed-out for all practical purposes in such a short few years with very little dedicated support, while the simple PSX showed impressive improvement even years longer into its existence?

Sorry if I don't take your word on it. I'd rather take Yuji Naka's, for instance, who said that they learned a ton about the hardware during the development of Phantasy Star Online which could be applied to new future projects (which they never got a chance to make.) Or to Suzuki, who said that they merely tweaked a little code from the Shenmue I engine to allow Shenmue II to support tons more characters on screen at once. He also stated, that like the PS2, the DC could handle VF4, and SEGA even pulled a display for footage from the DC version down a day before they were going to exhibit it at E3 (not saying that the DC could handle a flawless conversion, but then again, neither did the PS2 - not even close.) Or to one of the heads of Test Drive Le Mans development on DC who said the team had found ways to increase their geometry output on the system above the 5 million per second they already achieved in their game.

Clearly, the few devs that actually gave the Dreamcast dedicated support didn't feel it was even close to being maxxed out. How many projects even tried to make good use of its DOT product capabilities and its support for bump mapping and various other effects?

zidane1strife:
Wow, since when are Zoe2, and SH3 Less impressive than DC games...
Since progressive scan (and consequently VGA) means twice the resolution over time, makes a big impact on how the visuals end up looking, and it's what I'm getting in all of my Dreamcast games.

If many PS2 games were capable in that way, I wouldn't be disagreeing with you here. But in the end, that difference stands out to my eyes above all others. Ever had the pleasure of seeing Dead or Alive 2, Sonic Adventure 2, Grandia II, or Samba de Amigo through a Dreamcast VGA box? It's nothing short of jaw-dropping at times. You won't be missing some polygons or some heavier lighting here and there when you're faced with having to trade back to the interlace flicker of the PS2 library to get it.
Oh, you mean the past ps2 titles, now a days most high profile titles feature progressive out of the box, you know the wants people normaly would buy....
Oh really? So Ratchet and Clank, Lord of the Rings, Sly Cooper, Shinobi, Rygar, Suikoden III, Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance, Baldurs Gate DA, Grand Theft Auto Vice City, Kingdom Hearts, Devil May Cry 2, Contra, Wild Arms 3, Grandia Xtreme, etc, etc, etc all support progressive scan? It's definitely the rare exception and not the rule.
The ps2 supports higher rez progressive than DC...

PS2 supports ALL HDTV standards in the specs, and even if games can't run at the highest of the standards... it supports many of them, many that the DC does not.
I remember you posting this at Gaming-Age once. If someone told you DC was limited to 480p output, someone lied. Dreamcast is capable of higher HDTV resolutions as well.

And, once again, you're mixing up "is capable of" with "has been practical to implement in games". Neither the PS2 or DC have yeilded games supporting HDTV resolutions of 720p or 1080i like Xbox has. Both machines supporting it doesn't mean much. Dreamcast supports FSAA through supersampling, like PS2 managed in Baldur's Gate, but that doesn't mean we see much of that in games from either system.
and surround sound.
Yeah, that's a nice output advantage for PS2. Dreamcast has more dedicated audio muscle, though, with 64 simultaneous channels supported (compared to PS2's 48) and a nice Yamaha chipset. Both DC and PS2 could use their CPUs to assist for better sound if they wanted.

marconelly!:
Yeah, just like Dreamcast 'supports' them. Doesn't mean it can really be done in the game.
The Dreamcast could very easily do bumpmapping in a game, let alone the Naomi 2. Inclusion is a decision for the graphics designers, some of whom spoke about doing just that in Dreamcast projects that never made it out because of the machine's predicament in the marketplace. Some of Shiny's developers said they were going to have bumpmapping in their Dreamcast games, for instance, but their publisher decided not to support the machine at that point. People forget how short-lived dedicated Dreamcast development really was... lots of advancements that would've come with time never materialized. Imagine if we froze PS2 development accomplishments only a couple of years into its life (not to mention that our hypothetical example still has PS2 existing from 2000-2002 and not from 1998/1999-2000 like Dreamcast did... slightly different eras in graphic development).

The thing about the Naomi 2 versus PS2 comparison is that it doesn't even account for the fact that Naomi 2 didn't even use the Kyro+ parts a March 2000 console variant surely would've...
And I doubt ELAN was too much more than $30 a pop in quantity...

Dreamcast has more dedicated audio muscle, though, with 64 simultaneous channels supported
Of which most never get to be used anyways. On the other hand, DC had quite bad D/A converter, and the sound output from it wasn't really remarkable compared to that of PS2. That is not even accounting the digital audio out on PS2, which makes the sound quality even better.

N2 as home hardware

Things seems to have gone off track a bit..
I dont think that Naomi 2 would have been viable consumer hardware.. It was much much of a 'power' machine, using duplicate renderers and extra chips to up the transformation performance. In terms of memory the board contains 96Mbytes - segmented 32/32/32.
People comparing VF4 arcade against VF4 on PS2 often forget the memory constraints: If you think about it the difference in quality could be affected more by the lack of memory in total more than anything else.

Although the SH4 isn't as customised as the EE, it wasn't a completely off the shelf part, and the CLX and Elan lighting chips were created for Sega in the same way that the Xbox chip was created by NVidia.

The CLX chip is very strong at single layer texturing and supports good perpixel effects and blending, but the fillrate is not good for semitransparencies. The PS2 is perceived as being weak at perpixel effects and strong at transparencies.

Perhaps the most interesting comment about the quality comparision comes directly from the VGA display compared with the TV display. This moves things away from the target market - after all only the truly hardcore ( in a mass market ... ) DC owners would use it on a VGA monitor ( I'm one ). Even the Gamecube had progressive support dropped in Europe as it was not considered an important sales point.

In my opinion Tekken Tag tournemant was a better quality launch title than VF3, and DOA2 showed strengths on both machines. However when people compare 1st generation titles dont forget the likes of Seventh Cross and Godzilla as well as PenPen and SonicAdventure - I also considered FIFA to be a pretty exceptional early Japanese title for PS2, and the image quality on that matched the best DC titles.

if you want to play whatif - whatif the PS2 supported VQ textures ( a simple engineering task to modify CLUT access ) and full opengl colourblending, or even had 8MB vram?

Why do you believe that bump mapping could be done with easeon the Dreamcast? Someone taking advantage of DC's dot product capabilities, do you realize how slow that would be? The DC is no slouch in terms of graphics, but you have to realize that it's not a speed demon either. Sure it has deferred rendering, but with a raw pixel fill rate of 100 Megapixels it's not exactly something to write home about.

When I say I've seen the Dreamcast taken to its limits it means I've seen games that have been cancelled. Where do you think Panzer Dragoon Orta started out at? And Virtua Figher 4 for DC was a technical marvel for the console, and it was the Dreamcast at its limits. You may not have gotten the chance to see these games, but that's the difference when you work for the company that the DC was supposed to bring back to the limelight of.

Exactly what Dreamcast games outshine the current crop of PS2 games?

Art style has little to do with it as there are some great games with shit graphics on PSX with great art style. My one favorite RPG Xenogears demonstrates that, awesome art with crappy graphics. It's such a beauty to look at, but it's not something that would get technical awards.

The Dreamcast would pale in comparison these days when standing next to PS2, GCN, or Xbox. I'm just going to ask you to open your eyes to other games besides SEGA ones. If you haven't realized lately, SEGA's been slipping far too much when it comes to the respect they get. Even the majority of hardcore SEGA gamers are starting to 2nd guess the company.

Sonic

We can sit here and debate about fillrate numbers, but when you look at say VF4 in the arcade vs say DOA3 for Xbox , it becomes fairly moot ;)

PS2 has it's advantages and N2 also has it's advantages. At the end of the day, it comes down to ease of development where N2 wins hands down ;)

Which design was better? I say N2 8)

PC-Engine said:
We can sit here and debate about fillrate numbers, but when you look at say VF4 in the arcade vs say DOA3 for Xbox , it becomes fairly moot ;)

PS2 has it's advantages and N2 also has it's advantages. At the end of the day, it comes down to ease of development where N2 wins hands down ;)

Which design was better? I say N2 8)

IMO, Xbox DoA3 (progressive) > N2 VF4 (progressive).

Panajev2001a:
this throws away all the rest of your post... including the technical parts...
Well then I'm sure you won't mind pointing out the other 200+ PS2 games that support proscan output to invalidate this statement of mine you quoted: "I agree that the PS2 ups the sophistication of certain visual elements, but the fact that only 9 or so games have the ability to be output in high-res with every update means that playing PS2 usually means sacrifcing something much more noticeable."

Unless of course you think outputting twice the res over time like in proscan makes less of an impact than the geometry and lighting differences between DC and PS2 games?
and not counting that PS2's I/O CPU can be used to help SPU2 while in the DC you had to use the SH-4...
What exactly is wrong with the SH-4 and Yamaha DC chip pairing for sound? The audio chip in DC was quite capable on its own, like PSX system-class power just for handling sound.

Crazyace:
Things seems to have gone off track a bit..
I dont think that Naomi 2 would have been viable consumer hardware.. It was much much of a 'power' machine, using duplicate renderers and extra chips to up the transformation performance.
It was really used more as an example to put PS2's performance into perspective. Not that Naomi 2 couldn't have been made into a home console... Costwise, it seems more than feasible; it wouldn't need to have quite so much RAM (arcade RAM amounts are allocated in excess simply due to the nature of the market - load times less acceptable, cost constraints for an arcade board less of an issue... it's said that they don't even compress textures as heavily in the arcade versions.) While I'm sure it would've been more than possible, I do agree with you that Naomi 2 wouldn't have been the design choice they would've gone with for a home console.

If Naomi 2 could perform its VF4 (have you seen how impressive the rooftop and aquarium stages are with the lighting?) as one of the first and few titles on that platform (compare that to first-gen PS2 graphics... in fact, compare that to any-gen PS2 graphics), imagine what kind of a console SEGA could've had built with the PS2's production plan...

Launching with a 50% higher pricetag and 15 months later as PS2 did, would this hypothetical DC still use the SH-4? And even it did, it would be far more potent now that the ELAN was lifting some responsibilities from it.

They wouldn't need to go with duplicate, older renderers when they could have contracted Img. Tech to make a high-end, up-to-date Kyro+ part for the this hypothetical revised launch schedule and budget.
In terms of memory the board contains 96Mbytes - segmented 32/32/32.
People comparing VF4 arcade against VF4 on PS2 often forget the memory constraints: If you think about it the difference in quality could be affected more by the lack of memory in total more than anything else.
Memory cutbacks didn't account directly for many of the biggest issues. Geometry was cut from the arcade version, lighting was significantly dropped, and the arcade board wasn't exactly tapping all that memory like they do with console games to start with. The arcade textures were also probably largely uncompressed, so it wasn't necessarily the most optimal display of texturing all that RAM affords. The PS2 version suffered most from bad interlacing issues, though (supposedly being fixed for the PS2 version of VF4 Evo).
Even the Gamecube had progressive support dropped in Europe as it was not considered an important sales point.
Yes, but it makes a difference in the end regardless of acceptance rate. Some users do take advantage of it, however many or few they may be. Dreamcast games had no problem letting users play on TVs as well as through VGA, so the PS2 situation pains me in comparison. The half-res delivered by interlacing is quite a noticeable drop after you've been playing proscan through VGA/HDTV for a while.

It's not like providing [/b]additional[/b] support for VGA/HDTV in PS2 games is preventing compatibility for the majority of users with their normal TVs, and it's not as if other consoles like DC and Xbox haven't pulled it off as a standard in their library of titles.

Sonic:
Why do you believe that bump mapping could be done with easeon the Dreamcast?
Because it's obvious from the specs and demos, and because some developers have said as much. It definitely couldn't be used as much as Xbox or GameCube could, but it seems fairly practical if the developer wanted to (especially relative to doing it on PS2.)
Someone taking advantage of DC's dot product capabilities, do you realize how slow that would be?
Why do you think so? Overall performance hit is simply balanced in the design budget for the other elements in the game. A game that uses decent amounts of multitexturing on the Dreamcast is definitely possible; it provides a tradeoff in performance in other areas which is something you must take into consideration as with almost any other graphic effect.
When I say I've seen the Dreamcast taken to its limits it means I've seen games that have been cancelled.
I've seen quite a few nice ones too (Agartha, for one), but how exactly do you figure Dreamcast was ever taken to its limits? The next generation of DC graphics which never saw the light of day due to cancellations don't represent the pinnacle of the machine's performance. Look at Saturn - AM2 progressively pushed the machine to new stages, the last one we got to see being Saturn Shenmue which ran on stock hardware. I'm sure VF4 DC would've been another level above what we were seeing, and they could probably go a level or two beyond that (look at how companies managed to push the straightforward PSX so far.)
Exactly what Dreamcast games outshine the current crop of PS2 games?
I'd say many of them like Virtua Tennis, F355, Grandia II, DOA2, Sonic Adv. 2 when I'm playing them in double the resolution through pro-scan. Believe it or not, proscan makes a large visual impact compared to most other graphic elements.

What exactly is wrong with the SH-4 and Yamaha DC chip pairing for sound?

Nothing, but on PS2 the EE doesn't HAVE to lose cycles doing that and can use the I/O CPU for that...

I cannot wait if PS3 uses a nicely shrinken EE as I/O CPU and pair that with the new Sound DSP... wait that could be the new Sound DSP ;)

EE+SPU2 used as I/O CPU and Sound DSP could be quite nice... ;)

The EE is too powerful to run at full utilization working only as an I/O controller...

Unless of course you think outputting twice the res over time like in proscan makes less of an impact than the geometry and lighting differences between DC and PS2 games?
Of course he (and probably the rest of the world) thinks so! By your logic, Tomb Raider 1 running on the PC in progressive scan is making 'bigger impact' than FF:TSW DVD playing on the interlaced TV. Who cares about the additional geometry, lighting and everything else - it's *interlaced*, dammit!

Of course he (and probably the rest of the world) thinks so! By your logic, Tomb Raider 1 running on the PC in progressive scan is making 'bigger impact' than FF:TSW DVD playing on the interlaced TV. Who cares about the additional geometry, lighting and everything else - it's *interlaced*, dammit!

:) well exposed Marconelly, thank you :)

Look at how well Naomi 2 stacks up in graphics, power consumption, and price (and don't forget this hypothetical home console SEGA would make to directly compete with the PS2 on price/time-of-release would be even more powerful than Naomi 2.) 100 mhz ELAN, SH-4, two Series 2 parts, and some extra RAM didn't break the bank when it comes to manufacturing costs. It doesn't need quite so much excess RAM as it has, either. Arcade machines, especially from SEGA, are priced high to outside vendors because the profit margin is deliberately set high. If you actually operate many of your own arcades (like SEGA does) and you'll only be selling several thousand units max to outside vendors, of course you aren't going to take puny profit margins or even hardware losses like home consoles have. Why even bother going through all the work in that case... a $100 profit margin on 1,000 arcade boards is only $100,000, hardly worth the effort. So yes, arcade boards carry price tags not at all indicative of their manufacturing costs.

Lazy, I cannot put into words how much your useless, poetic multi-page rants that cover a single point annoy me. You know there´s a little writing "technique" that you should have learned earlier, and it´s called being concrete.
No matter how much rubbish you throw at your arguement, all your points boil down to DC games looking better than PS2 because they do on a PC monitor, when the entire console market, or at least a crushing mayority, is aimed at interlaced screens.
It´s quite funny how you pretend to dismiss much higher polygon counts, much better particle effects, a dramatic increase in lightning just because he can connect his console to a monitor. When I load FFX, I can see Tidus´s and Yuna´s models and the world of Spira rendered in outstanding detail. When I load SoA, I can see character models worthy of the N64. That is reality.

About the Halo 2 discussion, the speculation as to SEGA's hypothetical system handling it wouldn't be strictly Naomi2-level power - it would be some high-end Kyro+ console with more power and more advanced features. Halo 2 certainly wouldn't be so far out of its league. When you start figuring for a parity in the example accounting for Xbox's release date and the fact that Halo 2 isn't first-gen software or anything, there's some indication as to how far ahead of the curve that kind of PowerVR technology was.

The way I see the issue is this: Naomi 2 outperforms PS2, and a SEGA console launching against PS2 in price/time-of-release would've been even more powerful than Naomi 2.

Panajev2001a:
Nothing, but on PS2 the EE doesn't HAVE to lose cycles doing that and can use the I/O CPU for that...
Well, then you're taking away from the I/O resources. And none of this is relevant to me saying that the DC's Yamaha sound hardware has more processing muscle than the PS2's audio hardware.

marconelly!:
Of course he (and probably the rest of the world) thinks so!
You know what I've found? When comparing games from different consoles of the same generation, I have to deliberately try to take note that the character models in one game are slightly more rounded than another or that there is some extra detail in the backround. All the while, I'm also trying to account for the fact that some games might just be modeled better or might be showing stuff on a different scale to begin with. When I see a game running in progressive scan versus interlaced, I don't even have to try and pick out the difference. The flicker of interlace is just there, right in my face annoying me immediately and constantly. I doubt I'm the only one, and then again I doubt most people who would argue against this have really spent time going from DC VGA to PS2 TV.
By your logic, Tomb Raider 1 running on the PC in progressive scan is making 'bigger impact' than FF:TSW DVD playing on the interlaced TV. Who cares about the additional geometry, lighting and everything else - it's *interlaced*, dammit!
You're equating the difference between 3dfx Tomb Raider 1 and FF:TSW with DC and PS2 graphics!? Sorry, but "the back of the cars in GT3 are modeled better than the ones in F355, and the reflections look somewhat better too!" doesn't quite equate to disparities in gazillions of cycles of CPU time like the implication of your example. Nor do such bonuses ease my displeasure that going from GT3 to F355 just lost me more than half the resolution of my output.

Back