Why did PS2 fail to become a 'home server'?

I was doing some random googling and read a few articles about PS2 becoming a home server, trojan horse, media hub etc.

My question is, why did it fail to do this? Why not even in Japan?

Is it a issue of broadband?

Hard drive?

Software?

Why did Sony stop pushing this concept once the hardware reached critical mass?

crap i must hit delete instead of edit..

to repeat breifly, its obvious kutarigi ken overestimated himself, his technology and his team.

ps2 hardware is nice and all on paper but it loses out to pc in double quick time. for $299, 32mb to boot, addons, to be in home server and all? nay.

even psx trial flopped.

which signals whether people want/associate playstation as such home server or not.

not forgot, sony inexperience on software ITertaniment gives people more doubts. psx feedback was the os is a bitch to use.

Whaddya mean "fail", JF?

For it to fail it means Sony would have had to try to actually make it happen. They never did.

It's not enough to just SAY you want to do it, you have to make some moves in that direction as well!

that sound like the very defining of "fail", at least how i read it..
kutarigi and team bit off too much they can digest. failed to deliver their mega promises.

and they did try some how with the psx....

It's simple: SDTV sucks for internet use and the broadband penetration couldn't reach the critical mass.

is it so simple?

sdtv is staying for some time which means...

ok it suck for text but i think for home server more than just internet text. but i find component "good enough" even on 30" display and sure ps2 can display hdtv text?

in japan bb pene is high i think and ps2 sales are crazy. of all places u expect sony to start with their mega promises, its there but..

me think kutarigi team is still just not up to task, as oppose to they and their fans want to believe.

Well is there any reason to believe that PS3 will do any better as a media server?

Broadband penetration is still weak in many areas.

SDTV is most of the TVs out there.

Movies can't be downloaded yet.

Consumers are still attached to 'packaging' (in Kuturagi speak, "The era of packaging has not ended)

2006 will either be slightly too early or just in time. Very on edge it seems.

i for one never will expect ps3 to be media anything but a game console with typical sony whizbang "neither here or there" extras.

psx2 may be should do better than psx. but doubt any playstation will become the center of your living room soon.

so dont mind kutarigi. he just like to,

talk.

talk a lot. :D

hehe, so far in this thread every other post has been chap repeating the same thing in each of his writings :)

Chap, one time is enough to post your opinion, we're not so thick headed that you'd have to repeat the same things in 4 posts from 8.
That's gnagging, not discussing or even arguing ;)

Why the "home server" plans did not materialize for PS2?
Ther are many reasons, which of them were the most important reasons... hard to say, as it's a sum of many parts mostly.

1. PS2 hardware. Even though PS2 + HDD + NA would have been more than adequate for just a home server, it would have had hard time to act as a server and a client or just a "media centre".
HDD + NA and needed software was not included in standard hardware, so the plan must have been just an "option", a "dream" mostly to attract media attention from the beginning. To show "what the device is capable to do" even though in reality it would "just" do them, but not very satisfyingly.
PS2 is not capable of such multitasking a media centre needs, you can only do one thing at one time. You would not have been able to for example use your PS2 as a pvr and play games at the same time etc...
And for pvr functions it would have needed even more additional hardware to be purchased.

PS2 was designed as a games console first and foremost.
Feature and accessorywise it would have made possible to use it for very simple "home server" purposes.
But really, these purposes had not much else potential than marketing potential.

Sony just left the road "open" in case the "home server" boom would explode exponentially in following years, in which case they might have brought maybe just simple cababilities of web browsing, photo and ATRAC music storing with the HDD +NA.

2. Broadband penetration.

3. Market readiness. The "Home server" and "Media centre" buzz is only just beginning. I think a couple of years ago the "mainstream" had little idea would they want, or need one.

4. Piracy fears. Because of Sony's stubborness to support other than proprietary formats in fear of piracy, the "home server" wouldn't anyway had supported MP3, DivX... so you could have only stored music in the HD in ATRAC format and in addition to that maybe your photos.
That would not have been enough for most users.

So, in my opinion. The home server ideas were mainly just marketing "hype" to gain media attention.

It was just presenting concept ideas for possible future uses of PS2. The official specs never announced these features to be available.
But did Sony really say all that? Or was it just Ken Kutaragi in one or two of his pre-launch presentations, in which case everybody should have known they were just concepts :LOL:

They may be too open with their "visions" for their devices, but I quess that's always been the way with Sony.
Many know they're just visions, but many take them as advertised features.

PSP's getting similar "visions". I don't believe the vision that was circulating a while ago, where you could play PS2 games, watch a DVD that's in your PS2, watch TV or listen to a CD with PSP via WiFi will ever materialize.
Where did that vision originated anyway?

I think the concept was mostly a vision, something Sony hoped for but couldn't realize, first and foremost because the infrastructure wasn't/isn't there. But as a picture of the future of PlayStation, the whole family concept, I think it is and always will be part of Sony's strategy.

Just chalk it up to 1999 SCEA marketing hype. I remember reading how the GS+EE was able to produce suck lifelike images it was gonna spawn an independent movie house revolution. Also, no ICBMs have used one either. Basically the webtv was already invented, as was the DVR, VCR, and DVD player. Media hub in the living room concept reminds me of the whole 'multimedia' concept of the early 90's. What does it mean?

These companies always spout mountanous levels of bullshit before launch. 3DO was supposed to be the home center as well, lol. N64 was our home rendering studio with movie quality graphics.

It's nothing new, but it is tiring. Unfortunately it gets everyone's blood boiling with excitement.

IMO, there won't be any serious use for consoles as home servers, as long as people have 480-type TV's. It's still going to be 3-5 years before 720p is heavily disseminated, so I don't see either the PS3 or the XBox2 being serious contenders for PC replacements. It's not time yet. Not to mention other elements that are also indispensable for that kind of application, like popular fast broadband access. I'm willing to bet money that this market will be ripe for the taking by the time the next generation consoles come (X3 /PS4).

The PS2 probably didn't double as a home media server due to hardware limitations

I could see Sony marketing the PS3 as a free "Internet Station" with built in VGA-output as well as HDTV output. There is a demand for this type of Imac mini device that is sold without mouse, keyboard and monitor.

I would prefer using a quiet, small energy efficient device to surf the internet and write emails. The Internet station would boot up in seconds and could even have a cutting edge 3D interface, messaging system and media download service, where the latest Sony game demos, movies and music trailers are downloaded in the background.
AFAICS, Sony would only need to develop the browser software and related apps to have this functionality. In return they could get a huge number of eyeballs forcibly directed to a Sony megaportal and gain a powerful media distribution network- just imagine millions of PS3 in a peer to peer network.

bleon said:
The PS2 probably didn't double as a home media server due to hardware limitations

I could see Sony marketing the PS3 as a free "Internet Station" with built in VGA-output as well as HDTV output. There is a demand for this type of Imac mini device that is sold without mouse, keyboard and monitor.

I would prefer using a quiet, small energy efficient device to surf the internet and write emails. The Internet station would boot up in seconds and could even have a cutting edge 3D interface, messaging system and media download service, where the latest Sony game demos, movies and music trailers are downloaded in the background.
AFAICS, Sony would only need to develop the browser software and related apps to have this functionality. In return they could get a huge number of eyeballs forcibly directed to a Sony megaportal and gain a powerful media distribution network- just imagine millions of PS3 in a peer to peer network.

What would a peer-to-peer network of ps3s be sharing?

Well, i should say what i wrote is just speculation, but the kind of things that could be shared are the latest game demos, movie trailers etc. It could be pushed onto your PS3 as apposed to you requesting it.
Full games downloads might also be possible. (Im assuming PS3 has a way to save all that data)

Back