Which novel do you like best?

Re: the Hyperion books. If you read them, get ready to learn more about John Keats than you ever wanted to know. :)

I only recently got into A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (spelling?) and let me tell you I've been missing out on good literature for the past few years. I actually picked it up because there was a former thread on the series on this board. Best book series I've picked up in the last two years by far.

I also love the Dark Tower from Stephen King and the ending of that series is pretty damned good in my eyes.

I believe the term "novel" precludes the inclusion of non-fiction.

Pity. I guess I'd say "A Simple Plan" by Scott Smith. I don't know if the movie really did it justice appropriately. Besides, they changed the ending. I'm fond of Mary Roach's writing. A lot. But neither of my top two choices are really what this thread is all about.

The Sun Also Rises - Ernest Hemingway
All the Kings Men - Robert Penn Warren
Ishmael - Daniel Quinn
The Great Gatsby - F. Scott Fitzgerald

Eh, um, would you believe I read mostly science fiction?

I only recently got into A Song of Ice and Fire by George RR Martin (spelling?) and let me tell you I've been missing out on good literature for the past few years. I actually picked it up because there was a former thread on the series on this board. Best book series I've picked up in the last two years by far.

I also love the Dark Tower from Stephen King and the ending of that series is pretty damned good in my eyes.

See? We're not so different after all ;)

crime and punishment - Dostoevsky, sorry a bit of a cliche

ive only read the translation (4x I think) but even that is amazing

I meant cliche in its prolly the most acclaimed novel of all-time, it certainly would appear in the most top10/100 lists. (its only competition would possibly be wuthering heights, war + peace (anna karenia better though))

On the flipside, my most hated novel (though have never finished it in 3 attempts, which is in itself a rarity cause normally I finish a book even if I dont like it)

to the lighthouse

Harry Harrison's The Stainless Steel Rat series

Isaac Asimov's Elijah Baley & R. Daneel Olivaw series

Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas/on the Campaign Trail '72

Robert Aspirin's Myth Series

J.D. Salinger's "Catcher in the Rye" (Fuck off, I liked it)

Almost everything Mark Twain ever wrote

Alan Dean Foster's Flinx & Pip series, plus lots of others of his

Spider Robinson's Lifehouse series, Callaghan's Saloon

Everything Robert Heinlein ever wrote

Most of the golden age of science fiction

Earl Stanley Gardner's Perry Mason, all 88 of 'em.

More as they come. :)

I read a fair few of the 'Myth' series. Entertaining and light reading. I'd have continued reading them, I suppose, but they stopped publishing them in the UK.

Read a couple of the 'Phule' books as well and thought they were little more than low-rent knock-offs of the Myth series!

Back