Where are the Japanese RPGs?

That's pretty much every single plot, RPG or otherwise. I pick games that hook me with gameplay first. Plus, a game like Fire Emblem really makes you think, and it's not about the plot, but coming up with strategies because it's a strategy rpg. Also, sometimes it's not good when the plot makes you think... in a bad way. I mean like poorly done plot twists that makes you roll your eyes in disbelief.

I don't play JRPGs for gameplay.... sorta a dead end there IMO. For an example of what I'm talking about try shin megami tensei (any of them really), stereo types are thrown so far out the window they just cease to exist all together. Gameplay requiring some thought is always good, but again it doesn't replace a well thought out story.

In all honesty I couldn't care less about gameplay for single player games. All about the story and atmosphere for me. A good plot, interesting and complex characters, good sound track and excellent art direction = Freak'n Big Panda in gaming bliss.

I played gears of war the other day which is great in terms of gameplay but the characters and story were down right horrible. Sooo painfully generic. Token funny black guy, old bad ass war vet, nerdy hacker... I almost puked. I didn't try it untill yesterday because I thought it was going to be predictable and, well what do you know. I was right.

For good gameplay I stick to multiplayer FPS's like BF, COD4, CSS, etc. I need story for anything single player or I'll loose interest in 15 minutes.

If you just want story, you can buy a book. Why spend 60 bucks on story? A movie would also cost you a lot less. This is why games have become poorer and poorer because they want to muscle in on other people's territory. Games have the ability to provide something neither books nor movies can touch, but instead, it tries to push it's way into other areas while ignoring what makes it special. Plot can be important, but only if it's back by good gameplay first. If I just want another FMV fest, I'll spend 10 dollars on a movie ticket and another 20 for the DVD. That's still cheaper than buying a game.

Games as a form of media offer a level of immersion that can't be offered by a book or movie. A story told through a game has the potential to be far more engrossing then the same story told through a book or movie... I wish more developers would realize this. There's a huge market to be tapped there. I cannot wait for the day when games are considered as powerful an art form as movies, books, or traditional art.

I see games like GOW in the same light as big block buster movies like bond or transformers. very pretty, lots of action, big production costs and no substance. I want games that provoke a deep emotional response in me. I'm not looking for a few minutes of fun. Good gameplay is great but after it's over it's over. Stories/art direction has the potential to make an impact that reaches into your life to a degree far beyond what the game can do on with good gameplay alone.

If you're desperate for JRPGs I'm sure there are dozens of JRPGs from the SNES to PS2 eras that you haven't played yet(there are also some that weren't released in the west that have fan translation patches). Although it is disappointing we don't have more JRPGs on modern consoles so we can enjoy them in HD with 5.1 surround sound.
If you just want story, you can buy a book. Why spend 60 bucks on story? A movie would also cost you a lot less. This is why games have become poorer and poorer because they want to muscle in on other people's territory. Games have the ability to provide something neither books nor movies can touch, but instead, it tries to push it's way into other areas while ignoring what makes it special. Plot can be important, but only if it's back by good gameplay first. If I just want another FMV fest, I'll spend 10 dollars on a movie ticket and another 20 for the DVD. That's still cheaper than buying a game.
It's fun to be able to interact in a game world in a sort of interactive movie. Mass Effect's story is a complete ripoff of the Revelation Space books and although I wouldn't dream to say ME provides a better story experience than those books it ripped off it does provide a very fun gaming experience unique from the books.

Although I do get what you're saying. That's why I've always admired Nintendo. Their games never forget they are games and never let their basic and sometimes near non-existent stories get in the way.

Last edited by a moderator:
Panda, I hear you, it has been very dry thus far. Like Scooby said, right now 360 is the way it seems for next-gen JRPG gaming. Disgaea 3 should mark the first 'real' effort to make it over for PS3, but having a tactical RPG isn't quite the same as a more traditional JRPG since the benefit from graphical flourishes shouldn't be as pronounced. Mind you Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre are two of my fave RPGs from back in Playstation 1 days, so no knock against the tactical RPG genre.

I think PS3 just needs to get some more market share in Japan before they start coming en masse.

I'm hoping for a PS3 Romance of the Three Kingdoms effort sometime soon also, while we're talking Japanese imports.

Edit - sorry, I really should avoid neogaf like a plague. That place is affecting my intelligence and causing me to use inappropriate snarky remarks.

Yes, please to everyone... I've noticed a marked increase lately in Neogaf sourcing and references (and posting styles). It's certainly ok to get info from there, but please - no need to tell us that was where it came from. We can have a "don't ask, don't tell" policy concerning Neogaf. There was a time when even linking to it would get posts erased around here, that's how toxic it was considered.

If you're desperate for JRPGs I'm sure there are dozens of JRPGs from the SNES to PS2 eras that you haven't played yet(there are also some that weren't released in the west that have fan translation patches). Although it is disappointing we don't have more JRPGs on modern consoles so we can enjoy them in HD with 5.1 surround sound.

Yeah if I wasn't such a techie I'd have no problem whatsoever playing the SNES stuff, I've been spoiled by expensive graphics cards for far too long.

I do plan to do that though, shin megami tensei 1 and 2 were fan translated. (They did a very good job actually, it is quite impressive given the amount of dialogue.)

I think PS3 just needs to get some more market share in Japan before they start coming en masse.

I suppose that neither the ps3 or x360 have a significant market share in japan so producing niche titles for those platforms probably isn't economically feasible.

I've been playing Disgaea 3 (JP) for some time now and it's great. Far superior to the second game, in my opinion. If you can't wait, just import it.

Of course, you can also replay all your old PS1 and PS2 RPGs on the PS3 -- currently I am 60 hours into FF7.

For SMT next release, I'm bet for a PS3, 360 release…
And for people who love FF7, you really have to give a try to LO, is probably one of the more interesting JRPG story since FF7.

Games as a form of media offer a level of immersion that can't be offered by a book or movie. A story told through a game has the potential to be far more engrossing then the same story told through a book or movie... I wish more developers would realize this. There's a huge market to be tapped there. I cannot wait for the day when games are considered as powerful an art form as movies, books, or traditional art.

I see games like GOW in the same light as big block buster movies like bond or transformers. very pretty, lots of action, big production costs and no substance. I want games that provoke a deep emotional response in me. I'm not looking for a few minutes of fun. Good gameplay is great but after it's over it's over. Stories/art direction has the potential to make an impact that reaches into your life to a degree far beyond what the game can do on with good gameplay alone.

I agree completely with Panda here. Thus far, RPGs have come closest to movies in substance. That's what draws me to them. Of course nothing wrong with brainless fun like TF2, I've played hundreds of hours of it.

I've been playing Disgaea 3 (JP) for some time now and it's great. Far superior to the second game, in my opinion. If you can't wait, just import it.

Of course, you can also replay all your old PS1 and PS2 RPGs on the PS3 -- currently I am 60 hours into FF7.

Thats good to hear. I'm thinking of importing the American version. The European version is yet to be announced, and will probably take a while to get here.

Sony should rerelease PS1 RPG's on PSN, to fill the gap until the bigger RPG's arrive, like FFXIII and White Knight Story.

Speaking of, I began playing Wild Arms for the first time through the PSN store recently. Good game. Also playing Odin Sphere at the moment, and will be playing Rogue Galaxy afterwards. After that, I'll just need to get and finish Valkyrie Profile 2 to close out my 'pending' list of PS2 RPGs.

Is Odin Sphere playable on the 60 Gig PS3? I might just pick up a copy if that's the case.

Edit. I just looked it up on the Playstation site. It says: no major problems.

Cool cool, I never played Disgaea 2 but I really enjoyed number 1. Is knowing Japanese a prerequisite for playing the JP version of 3? Probably eh?

Cool cool, I never played Disgaea 2 but I really enjoyed number 1. Is knowing Japanese a prerequisite for playing the JP version of 3? Probably eh?

It's not a requirement if you know the Disgaea games well enough, but you of course won't understand any of the story...

I suppose the JRPG King of this gen' is sadly a king of a very small domain with invaders on every side. Personally I've outgrown the conventional JRPGs and they need to evolve the concept if they want to get me to buy anything. White Knight Story has peeked my interest due to being a Level 5 creation and they impressed me with DQVIII and Rogue Galaxy, but if the game is fundamentally the same slug-fest level-a-thon of the traditional JRPG, I won't be buying. I don't know how the rest of the gaming world feels on this, but their doesn't seem to be much clamour for JRPGs. I don't know what the handheld scene is like though.

The RPG genre has been stuck in the same routine for decades. It probably has something to do with the popular one's, like FF and DQ still being successful on the same old formula. A game like Kingdom Hearts is also very popular, but its gameplay is lacking to the point where you can't do anything wrong.

I don't mind killing lots of enemies and levelling up, as long as it relies on making good strategies, that ask more of the player then using a fire spell an ice enemy, and just levelling up is the slow way to do it.

Back