Where are the Japanese RPGs?

It seems this generation is seriously lacking in a good supply of jrpgs. For PS2 there were literally dozens of them with many AAA titles (shadow hearts, xenosaga, shim megami tensei etc) and to date I haven't found any for either ps3 or 360 that really capture my interest. Are they out there? Have I just not found them? Or is this gen just not jrpg friendly?

I think JRPGs are on the decline. Look at what's selling in Japan and look at standard JRPG sales over the years, ignoring the few blockbusters. They're not a good way to make money.

360 is the place to be for JRPG's, as ironic as that seems.

They are definately on the decline, but there are a few good ones out, or coming out soon:

Out already:
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
Enchanted Arms

Coming soon:
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Vesperia
Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey is an excellent 'classic' JRPG, if you like FFX you'd love LO.

The DS is where they all went. I'm sorry, but so far, the 360 JRPG are mostly leftovers that no one wants. The FUTURE RPGs might be good, but we won't know until they're out.

Get a DS or a PSP if you want RPGs. I have plenty of RPGs to play on my DS that I don't even have time to play them all.

The problem is that the JRPGs released for DS or PSP are usually pretty childish too the point where they really don't hold my attention. LO does look good, that's about the only game atm that really interests me. The Last Remnant looks somewhat promising.. hopefully it pans out but it'll probably be too formulaic for my tastes.

I'm looking for JRPGs with more mature stories, something that's targeted to my demographic instead of 10 yr old girls ala blue dragon or eternal sonata.

My favorite JRPG was Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne for PS2. Absolutely loved that game, great deep story, very realistic characters, lots and lots of stuff kids wouldn't understand. And SUPER hard, I absolutely had to be level 99 to beat the secret boss.

@DeadlyNinja: Lost Odyssey has its fair share of flaws but I wouldn't call it a leftover.

As for the original question: I think that question is so narrow, Freak'n Big Panda, that nobody is going to answer it the way you'd like it to be answered. There are jRPG out there and some of them are good ones. Problem is you're not really asking about good jRPGs but about jRPGs that will capture your intrest. I don't know your tastes or undertastes and I'm pretty sure there are very few people who do.

well I more was just interested to see if I had missed any upcoming titles that may offer what is needed to capture my interest. If all else fails I'll get an emulator and play the original shim megai tensei games for SNES. That should satisfy my need for deep, involved, and non-formulaic stories.

If all else fails I'll get an emulator and play the original shim megai tensei games for SNES. That should satisfy my need for deep, involved, and non-formulaic stories.

Good Idea!:D

I don't know your history with (J)RPGs but going with the Emu (not the bird) and playing the classics you haven't played (Chrono, FF?, Earthbound...etc) before is a great way to go. It is how I pass gaming time in between big releases (if I have time at all).

I think JRPGs are on the decline. Look at what's selling in Japan and look at standard JRPG sales over the years, ignoring the few blockbusters. They're not a good way to make money.

I don't buy that. Japan still loves their JRPG's. It's just that a whole lot of them are not being made on PS3/360/Wii. I don't think Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey are good sources to say they are on a decline because they hate the hardware that's it on. ;)

Persona 4 came out on PS2 recently and the series is still going strong in Japan. Practically you have to look at the PS2/DS/PSP for JRPG's sales and see if that genre is on a decline in Japan.

In the US and Europe, yes they are on a decline.

The problem is that the JRPGs released for DS or PSP are usually pretty childish too the point where they really don't hold my attention. LO does look good, that's about the only game atm that really interests me. The Last Remnant looks somewhat promising.. hopefully it pans out but it'll probably be too formulaic for my tastes.

I'm looking for JRPGs with more mature stories, something that's targeted to my demographic instead of 10 yr old girls ala blue dragon or eternal sonata.

My favorite JRPG was Shin Megami Tensei 3: Nocturne for PS2. Absolutely loved that game, great deep story, very realistic characters, lots and lots of stuff kids wouldn't understand. And SUPER hard, I absolutely had to be level 99 to beat the secret boss.

There's really little news about SMT. There was some rumbling on neogaf that the next SMT might be for the PS3, but that's all it was. Considering Persona 4 is for the PS2 it may just be wishful thinking. As for 'childish', the ones on the PSP or DS are hardly like Blue Dragon.

Lost Odyssey is also more 'mature', even if I found it profoundly trite and boring.

The PSP's poor on traditional JRPGs but it's extremely, ridiculously rich in SJRPGs, for some reason no one can fathom. The DS is getting everying else.

360 is the place to be for JRPG's, as ironic as that seems.

They are definately on the decline, but there are a few good ones out, or coming out soon:

Out already:
Blue Dragon
Lost Odyssey
Eternal Sonata
Enchanted Arms

Coming soon:
Infinite Undiscovery
Last Remnant
Tales of Vesperia
Tales of Vesperia
Last Remnant

Lost Odyssey is an excellent 'classic' JRPG, if you like FFX you'd love LO.

wow quite a list... I experimented with BD and LO and I may try some of the new ones as I'm not a real fan but trying to open myself up to some new experiences. for a system that is getting clobbered in Japan and called the "FPS machine" there are a lot of JRPGs.

The problem is that the JRPGs released for DS or PSP are usually pretty childish too the point where they really don't hold my attention.

That's a silly complaint. How are they childish? In what way? Like baby diaper training RPG or what? I've played crazy RPGs like Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, to amazingly fun games like Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (which ironically does contain babies), and right now, I'm immersed in Summon Nights 2 on the DS. In a few days, I'll be playing Fire Emblem: New Sword of Light and Dragon of Darkness remake.

Edit - sorry, I really should avoid neogaf like a plague. That place is affection my intelligence and causing me to use inappropriate snarky remarks.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's a silly complaint. How are they childish? In what way? Like baby diaper training RPG or what? I've played crazy RPGs like Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland, to amazingly fun games like Mario and Luigi Partners in Time (which ironically does contain babies), and right now, I'm immersed in Summon Nights 2 on the DS. In a few days, I'll be playing Fire Emblem: New Sword of Light and Dragon of Darkness remake.

They're childish in the sense that nothing in the story really makes you think. They all follow a similar formula with very predictable characters. I need games that change it up, otherwise I get bored very quickly and just end up feeling like I wasted my time. Tingle rosy rupeeland looks pretty original, if I had a DS I'd probably check it out.

That's pretty much every single plot, RPG or otherwise. I pick games that hook me with gameplay first. Plus, a game like Fire Emblem really makes you think, and it's not about the plot, but coming up with strategies because it's a strategy rpg. Also, sometimes it's not good when the plot makes you think... in a bad way. I mean like poorly done plot twists that makes you roll your eyes in disbelief.

If you want an intelligent rpg, I suggest Uncharted Waters: New Horzion on the SNES since people are recommending the retro route. That game makes you think, but it focuses more on thinking intelligently rather than plot. It's a game where you pick from 1 of 6 explorers in the age of exploration. The game is probably what GTA on SNES would be like. You sail your ships and explore the world, fight pirates, discover treasure, skillfully manipulate trade routes, build economies, build ships, recruit worthy sailors, learn skills and a lot more. Trust me, if I'm to tell you everything you'll be reading a 100KB text document on the gameplay.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty much every single plot, RPG or otherwise. I pick games that hook me with gameplay first. Plus, a game like Fire Emblem really makes you think, and it's not about the plot, but coming up with strategies because it's a strategy rpg. Also, sometimes it's not good when the plot makes you think... in a bad way. I mean like poorly done plot twists that makes you roll your eyes in disbelief.

I would agree with your statement. Though I would point out the reliance on plot and its quality for Jrpgs. A traditional Jrpg relies more on its plot, characters, and storyline progression than any other title currently on the market simply because the entire game is centered around the plot and aspects within it (I doubt many would point to a traditional Jrpg as having outstanding gameplay). I agree that gaming as an entertainment form needs to expand on nearly every aspect plot and storyline but its reluctance to do so has hampered the Jrpg genre much more so than any other.

The one that matters most to me is still coming to PS3. Disgaea 3 has everything I want to satisfy my RPG needs. I get bored very quickly with all these standard RPG's that rely on the same strategies and the same stories over and over again. Nothing like making your own characters and choosing how they develop, to allow you to play the game your way, and not being forced to do the same things indefinitely.

I would agree with your statement. Though I would point out the reliance on plot and its quality for Jrpgs. A traditional Jrpg relies more on its plot, characters, and storyline progression than any other title currently on the market simply because the entire game is centered around the plot and aspects within it

No, I mean for a game that relies heavily on plot, it's really hard to judge the quality of the plot until you've gotten quite a few hours under your belt. So instead of going into a game and expect to be dazzled by the plot, I always put gameplay first. You can get a pretty good feel for the gameplay after like 10 minutes into the game. Usually, if the gameplay is good enough for me, I can worry about the plot later.

Summon Night 2 is the perfect example. The gameplay is fairly decent after 5 minutes of playtime, but it was only after maybe 8 hours did I realize the plot is getting nowhere. The characters are interesting enough and the gameplay doesn't make me want to kill myself, so I kept playing.

Like I said, you guys should try Nintendo's Fire Emblem series. It's a brutally hard strategy rpg, with some pretty amazing stories. I was introduced to the series by a friend. The games usually keep you in a world for 2 games before moving onto a new story about a new continent. The plots sometimes share the theme of humans battling with dragons, but the true depth isn't revealed until you play the game. You even get to see your favorite characters and their relatives/off-springs/older/younger self in another game. It really adds some much to the plot and characters. Like Karel from FE7 (first US Fire Emblem) was a crazed killer who lusts for blood, yet in the original prequel, he's older calmer man who is at peace. Yet again, in one game, you will witness Karel's younger sister and how she fell in love with a man, while another game, old Karel will be talking to his brother in law and his niece. Just seeing characters in completely different stages of their lives help develop them better than most games.

The series has developed villains so brilliant that you even feel for them. There's not a bunch of emos running around with their angst. In one game, one of your characters gets killed by the villain of the game. The character the prince of Lenster who is well loved, and has a strong sense of justice. Sounds a bit typical, but then you find his other flaws like his seem of pride and holding onto a grudge from 100 years ago with a rival nation. The rival nation Thracia is depicted as a war loving nation who'll fight for money, and their king is a ruthless man. The flip side is that this nation is an extremely poor country where crops can grow, so they fight as mercenaries to make money. Thracia longs to conquer Lenster for the fertile soil, while Lenster holds onto their 100 year grudge and withheld aid to Thracia. The ruthlessness is justified and you can't help but be angry when your character is killed, but also feel sorry and understands where the other guy's coming from. That's how powerful the plot is in Fire Emblem. Bad guys aren't really bad guys, just a different point of view.

Back