When will Nvidia finally get out of the NV30 rut?

Maintank said:
I know my wording was borderline horrible on that. The 5900s will drop to about 175-200 bucks or should. And without the 6800 line they will be eaten alive.

Really I had not thought of that I was just glad to sell the last 9800xt I had in stock a few days ago. Who wants to get stuck with a 450$ card that you can only sell for 200$. Still have a 9600xt though but that wont hurt near as bad.

However with the ati cards out yes for nvidia to stay competative they would have to release the 5900 much cheaper. Thats an owie. :oops: :oops:

Bjorn said:
I'm of the opinion that it's vastly different this time. There is a huge difference between the featureset and this time clearly to Nvidias advantage. I would have tend to agree if R420 had FP32, SM3.0 support though.

Heh...:D I would say, "Wake me when the first fp32-3d-game-which-won't-display-correctly-running-at-fp24-precision ships, or when the first SM3.0-3d-game-which-won't-display-and-run-optimally-on-R4x0 ships, but...I'm not Rip Van Winkle...;) So I won't.

Kombatant said:
It's not a matter of shaky tech, as you said; it's a matter of nVidia not being able to have volumes out on time. It keeps on happening and I can't for the life of me understand why.

I guess it's because NV40 is a complex product that's difficult to make. It's almost like Nvidia says "what's the most impressive thing we can make using any tech?" where ATi says "what's the best we can make within the tech and heat/power limits that we know we can fab sucessfully?"

It seems to me that ATI pares down it's features only to whatever it can make run well. They don't waste transisitors on marketing tickboxes. If ATI can't use the transisitor budget in a useful and worthwhile manner, they dump that feature and use those transistors for something else. ATI's chips may not have as many features or be as technologically advanced on paper as Nvidia's, but everything that ATI attempts to do on it's chips, it does very well.

The two companies just seem to have very different philosophies when it comes to deciding how they spend their transisitor/power/heat budgets.

'Kombatant wrote:

It's not a matter of shaky tech, as you said; it's a matter of nVidia not being able to have volumes out on time. It keeps on happening and I can't for the life of me understand why.'

Or they have lost a lot of the early enginners when the stock was high, and now the culture is such that massive mistakes acure at the most critcal times. The 6800 is great , i guess. The x800 is great , i guess. but will know soon when i go pick it up and see if the benchmarks where right. On nvda own numbers 500mil$ for the nv3x + 1bil$ for the nv4x Dev, thats alot of money just to have the market share of the lowend "DX9" cards.. 5200!

Back