What's the best DVD media to burn on?

I'm not sure there is such a thing anymore. Was some headline oh, maybe a week or two back that claimed that it mattered little and the discs would inevitably die after a few (I think it even said a couple:oops:) years. But storing them away in a cool and dark place ought to be good for them, anyway light = bad.

I personally prefer Verbatim since they have a top that's better protected against scratching on certain models. The top of the disc is the part most sensitive to scratches btw. so don't write that label with a ballpoint. ;)

EDIT: I've had a lot of experience with cheap discs and a picky writer (NEC 1300A). Some cheap discs are actually utter crap and is best stored in a landfill, others are totally ok - check user comments on discs or buy a small amount to try them out before buying hundreds.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks like great discs, but whaaaaaaaah that price is way high. But then again, when storing away precious family movies that can never be replaced it's got to be well worth the price.

I haven't had a DVD burner for any meaningful time for this discussion but I can tell you I have SONY CDs back from ~1995 that are perfect and that's without taking any extraordinary precautions. They were plenty expensive back then but I liked them so much (especially after hearing some colleague's cries of anguish of losing data due to cheapo-yamcha-branded CDs) that practically all my recordable CD/DVDs are SONY's. I've never had _any_ SONY recordable media die on me (knock wood) so I don't plan on changing this any time soon.

OTOH, it's arguable whether a specific brand is a good indication as companies probably change the materials used across a product's lifetime. My recommendation would be to talk with people that buy a lot of different brands and types. And obviously, for critical data you should always have redundant backups anyway.

P.S. Oh and burn at low speeds and never overburn; I'd even recommend leaving a buffer to the maximum capacity stated on the tin, just in case.

K.I.L.E.R said:
I always burn at lower speeds.

This is what I've already used to record some important info.

http://www.tdk.com.au/product_8XDVD+R.asp

THis is teh exact packaging. Anyway will this last me around 50-100 years estimated?

I'm very skeptical of those kinds of longevity assurances. It doesn't matter if they put the discs in some pressure cooker to simulate passage of time, until that claim is made in January 2106 fully tested using media sold today I'll remain skeptical. The good news is that it's not really that important and probably why those longevity claims are made: I guarantee that you'll be transfering your burnt data to HDDVD/blueray/HoloCubes/QuantumCrystals/Whatever way before then.

Sxotty said:
My experience with TDK has been craptastic.
I've had problems with both the cds and dvds. Though the nice slimfit cases are just that.. nice. Until you get to the point where you realise any jewel case takes a shitload of space to store.

Back