What's happening in the SCO vs. World lawsuit?

Guden Oden

Legend
(I thought maybe this topic belonged in some other forum, perhaps software maybe, but as it's kind of general in nature I'll post it here. If a mod feels different, feel free to move it of course. :))

Has this trial even moved past the discovery phase yet? I've not heard a peep in ages now! Surely this must be some kind of a record when it comes to stalling by the team that actually filed it in the first place. Did they ever clearly point out the alledged infringing lines of source code in linux by the way? Last I heard, they were refusing to do so, despite pretty much their entire case hinges on it. Pretty much confirms they know they haven't got a snowball's chance in hell methinks.

I also assume SCO is still bleeding cash like a stuck pig, but I can't recall seeing much about that either for quite a while now. Is Darth McBride still with the company? I seem to remember the lawsuit-triggerhappy SCO CEO resigned some while back, but maybe it was just wishful thinking. :)

I just saw it yesterday somewhere, they lost some points against IBM. Dunno where I saw it, either the inq or the reg.

I had a meeting with a guy from IBM a few months ago and I got the impression the outcome of this trial is that they've become paranoid about the provenance of IP in their product offerings, particularly Linux. Their approach seems to be that they're very hesitant to offer some new feature or open-source package until they can satisfy themselves that it's all kosher license-wise, which is obviously quite a big job in many cases.

So basically -- it's going to slow down the rate at which new features and updates get made to their software products. In effect they're replacing programmers with lawyers.

nutball said:
I had a meeting with a guy from IBM a few months ago and I got the impression the outcome of this trial is that they've become paranoid about the provenance of IP in their product offerings, particularly Linux. Their approach seems to be that they're very hesitant to offer some new feature or open-source package until they can satisfy themselves that it's all kosher license-wise, which is obviously quite a big job in many cases.

So basically -- it's going to slow down the rate at which new features and updates get made to their software products. In effect they're replacing programmers with lawyers.
that might just be while this case is on... though frankly they might also be thinking "even though it was cast iron solid our IP , a company has been able to waste years of time and millions of our dollars in an utterly fruitless fishing expedition"

_xxx_ said:
I just saw it yesterday somewhere, they lost some points against IBM. Dunno where I saw it, either the inq or the reg.

they were shot down, biig..

www.groklaw.net

they alledged infringement, told everyone ( including investers) they had the evidence,,, but have spent years asking ibm to tell them what ibm took....

bizarre.

Good to see SCO's scummy tactics of trying to blackmail money out of people by filing/threatening lawsuits have backfired so badly on them.

I'm sure their PR spin division will put out a press release where they brag about their great victory they scored though. It'll happen any minute now...

Back