MS stuck in the middle?

i think sony is in the position with the most market share to lose but they are also in the position with the most market share to gain if things pan out right with BR.

MS will still be 2nd this time around but gain market share and I think ninty will do great in Japan but lose market share globally.

dukmahsik said:
i think sony is in the position with the most market share to lose but they are also in the position with the most market share to gain if things pan out right with BR.

MS will still be 2nd this time around but gain market share and I think ninty will do great in Japan but lose market share globally.
Yeah, no matter what MS will still gain marketshare this gen. I cannot see them doing worse than Xbox.
But MS seems to want to be market leader with 360 and they have to take away as much thunder from PS3 as possible..

...like for example..

........sure, PS3 is a nice machine, it have blu-ray and all..
....................but where are the games?
.................................and how come it is more expensive than 360?

:)

MS needs to be more aggressive...

Sis said:
I sometimes wonder if the core sku might die a premature death just due to initial lack of demand (to be resurrected in a couple years).
Possible. I think the core system will come into its own late this year. The only question is over how far into its own the system will go. I think MS is waiting for Nintendo and Sony to announce pricing before they pick.

Personally I think the Core system is doing its job right now, and I think its quite purposeful that we see more of them available - how many people are buying them and upgrading them (or will, in time) to somewhere around the full system? MS are probably making a pretty tidy sum on the perpheral sales...

MS should stick with the Core and use it to reach "price sensitive" customers as soon as possible. They can drop the price of the 20Gig HDD towards the end of year for Core owners and release a new, 60Gig Premium Pack to compete with the PS3 on features (but at a lower price).

For Europe, I can image something like a £170 Core package and a £250 Premium (with a 60GB HDD, HD cables, Live headset, remote, wireless pad) being very competetive. Something like that. You get the idea anyway!

function said:
MS should stick with the Core and use it to reach "price sensitive" customers as soon as possible. They can drop the price of the 20Gig HDD towards the end of year for Core owners and release a new, 60Gig Premium Pack to compete with the PS3 on features (but at a lower price).

For Europe, I can image something like a £170 Core package and a £250 Premium (with a 60GB HDD, HD cables, Live headset, remote, wireless pad) being very competetive. Something like that. You get the idea anyway!

price sensitive customers are the mass market, they will flop to a comparable console that provides comparable gfx, play, etc for less.

the core was a great idea. i dont see it going anywhere but cheaper

Dave Baumann said:
Personally I think the Core system is doing its job right now, and I think its quite purposeful that we see more of them available - how many people are buying them and upgrading them (or will, in time) to somewhere around the full system? MS are probably making a pretty tidy sum on the perpheral sales...

Yeah. That was (and is) the purpose with the core-pack, but the core-pack could easily have had a 20Gb HDD and the premium pack a 60GB with add ons of 80 to 120GB HDD and still have the same function.

With Core, MS gives consumers options. If they don´t have the money to spend on a premium, the can upgrade later. The core gives them also flexibility towards consumers. They can price the Core pack very aggressivly and "undercut" the competition (PS3) with a better price but not as much features.

but now that PS3 will have a hdd with every machine, as I understand it, then it changes the situation a bit..

EndR said:
Yeah. That was (and is) the purpose with the core-pack, but the core-pack could easily have had a 20Gb HDD and the premium pack a 60GB with add ons of 80 to 120GB HDD and still have the same function.

With Core, MS gives consumers options. If they don´t have the money to spend on a premium, the can upgrade later. The core gives them also flexibility towards consumers. They can price the Core pack very aggressivly and "undercut" the competition (PS3) with a better price but not as much features.

but now that PS3 will have a hdd with every machine, as I understand it, then it changes the situation a bit..

ps3 with standard hdd with every system is not confirmed at this time

ok ok...
The whole "is HDD standard or note debacle" isn´t decided yet (I still think its all semantics but we have to see at E3 about the HDD thing)

Expletive said:
I believe that KK said at least 425 for the PS3 at the business briefing a few weeks ago. "At least", to me anyway, means without a hard drive and probably also means $449. Sony would probably charge between 75 to 125 for a 60G HD as an add-on. So youre looking at between $525 and $575 as a reasonable guess.

So, to reiterate, the cheapest it will be is $425.00 with no HD.

Mordecaii said:
This was actually proved to be false (last I heard) and apparently nothing of the sort was ever said.

IGN said:
Despite all the revelations, though, there are still two gaping information gaps to fill. The most obvious is that of pricing. Kutaragi reportedly said at the Tokyo meeting last week that we're looking at no less than ¥50,000 ($425) for the system - a price that likely reflects the inclusion of the 60 GB hard drive. Kutaragi has been saying for a long time now that the PlayStation 3 would be expensive - my favourite quote had him suggesting people should work harder for it - and it looks like it might well be non-cheap. That price is in the vicinity of $399, which would bring the fight to Microsoft in a big way.

http://insider.ign.com/articles/697/697340p2.html

Apparently he did say it, though IGN and i disagree on the meaning of 'at least'.

EndR said:
MS needs to be more aggressive...

Microsoft is the offical "game console" sponsor of the upcomming Worldcup in Germany, which is one of the most watched sports events in the world . Also Microsoft has a marketing alliance with Adidas which is going to dovetail with the Worldcup because Adidas is also an offical sponsor.

Brimstone said:
Microsoft is the offical "game console" sponsor of the upcomming Worldcup in Germany, which is one of the most watched sports events in the world . Also Microsoft has a marketing alliance with Adidas which is going to dovetail with the Worldcup because Adidas is also an offical sponsor.

What dates does the world cup span?

Brimstone said:

Yeah, I know.. we have to see how that pans out.
But then Sony fixed a deal with FIFA to be one of the offical sponsors between 2007-2012 (or something like that) so Sony might have "one up:ed" MS..

But yeah, Im familiar with the deal MS has with FIFA/Adidas/EA...

Peter Moore:

Let me be clear on the Core System. The Core System is built when we look at a five-to-ten year strategy and we roll out what we need to be in 2007, 8, 9, and 10. We need both features and price to be on our side. And the Core System gives us that ability to use price on our side. Don't think of it for the Japanese market, or even the U.S. market, but think of it for markets that, A), got to go into China--price is an issue. Got to go into Russia. Got to go into India. Got to go into Poland, Hungary, Latvia. Those are markets we're going in. We're going to globalize this industry, and price becomes a big issue. The other thing, when you look at Xbox 1, having that hard drive built in cost us a lot of money. Not having the flexibility for a more casual gamer down the line, to sell them an Xbox for $79 that doesn't have a hard drive. Doesn't have it, but I'm just gonna go buy an MU and I'm as happy as a pig in you-know-what playing. We sold every single Core System that we put in the market in both Europe and the U.S. And the Hard Drive wasn't attached one-to-one. So people just went out, got an MU--sometimes didn't even buy an MU! Just went out and played--but it's no different than the PlayStation 2 or the GameCube. You can call it the "retard pack," but what is it? With those two consoles, you've got to go out and buy out an MU, right?

Peter Moore:

Moore:Two years ago, we sat down with developers and explained our strategy. The first thing they want overall is, what's the biggest install base you're going to give to me? How are you going to drive to a 50, 60, 70, 80 million install base, 100 million install base. Sat down and talked about our strategy for the globalization and using price and features as two different "weapons," if you will--which, I don't like to use that word, but, that's what we needed to do. When you learn your mistakes from the first one--you can't cost reduce something that's got a fixed hard drive, fixed memory built in there, we just can't cost reduce it to where we need to be. And we need to offer cascading price points in 2008, 2009, 2010, to bring in tens of millions of gamers each year. And the flexibility the Core System versus the Premium SKU gives, is that.

Back