What ever happened to the "waves" of 360 games?

3roxor said:
The 360 is in a position right now where it doesn't really have to deliver. It's smart to wait for the games to be ready instead of sticking with deadlines.

This is very true. It's just disappointing being a 360 owner right now. Back in May, I was expecting to have so many awesome 360 games by now that I wouldn't be able to decide what to play first. Instead I have a couple pretty good games to hold me over until the real stuff arrives. It feels exactly like the PS2 launch to me.

Why is it (and this is valid for every console launch) that everytime a console launches, there are supposed to be something like 15-20 games available, but i can only ever see less than half that number actually displayed in the shops?

It's good to hear that XYZ420 console "launches with 30 games!!11" but if they're not in the shops, that's totally useless.

Maybe I'm not in the know enough, but it seems to me, since DS which is the earliest launch I've followed, every bit of hardware has been accompanied by promises of dozen...hundreds of titles, but after launch very few appear for about a year.

wasnt there a list released at some point as to what these games were actually supposed to be? I couldnt find it but if someone has it we could actually compare...

expletive said:
wasnt there a list released at some point as to what these games were actually supposed to be? I couldnt find it but if someone has it we could actually compare...
i don't remember such a list. the only 'lists' officially released were the press release "Xbox 360 Launch Line-Up announced" which actually only announced PGR3, Kameo and PDZ as launch titles and some other games which are coming in 2006 (or some probably in 2007). and then later on the list of the 18 launch titles. there were some interviews in which GR3, Oblivion and DOA4 were hinted at as possible additional launch games, but that didn't turn out that well as we know now.

A lot of those games are either ports or somewhat uninteresting.

*yawn* It reminds me the DS launch where they claimed to have 25 launch titles. Turned out to be closer to 7.

Delays, delays, delays. Most of what did launch on time was pretty buggy and didn't have AA, due to lack of time with final kits. Theres no need to rush the next lot of software.

Its just another symptom of a rushed launch. When they were touting this it was purely as PR, they couldn't have known how many games would be ready.

Worldwide launch not worldwide, shortages/manufacturing issues, buggy software, no killer app (as PDZ was touted to be), no clear "second wave", hardware issues....problems all apart of launches.

They launched to fantastic success though, so I'm sure there primary goal right now is getting the hardware out and letting publishers work at their own pace.

Nicked said:
Its just another symptom of a rushed launch.

it's symptomatic of any launch.

where exactly was the great wave of PS2 or xbox1 games in the 8 months following the initial launch? 18 titles on day1 launch is very good, and it's close to their claims of 20-25.

scooby_dooby said:
it's symptomatic of any launch.

where exactly was the great wave of PS2 or xbox1 games in the 8 months following the initial launch? 18 titles on day1 launch is very good, and it's close to their claims of 20-25.
Well the PS2 had 42 games in NA by the end of 2000 (same timeframe, and 25 of them managed to average >70% on gamerankings). Of course thats not the Japanese launch which is a whole different ball-game. After that there was a lull however. I don't think there was one in the Xbox's release schedule though ?

18titles at launch isn't that bad, in fact its great. 19 titles 1 1/2months later is a bit disturbing.

Day one launch for PS2 was the japanese launch though, 6 months later they only had 42 games for the NA launch, that's not so impressive. Also combined average for those games was far far worse than the 360's lineup, speaking to the rushed status of those games.

I just don't think this launch was really rushed, other than the x-mas timeframe, it's no more rushed than any console launches, which are always rushed.

I definitely have my hands full with CoD2, NFS MW and NBA 2k6. all very good games. CoD2 is sooo addicting online.

I'm glad they're waiting until the games are done.
20-30 some titles in the first 4-6 months is fine by me.

I'll never play more than 30 titles in the system's entire existence and probably never own more than 15 total (3-4 at one time). :D

If the developers need another few months to finalize a game then I'm for it seeing as this is a new generation and new system as well. Some of the "rumors" and please treat them as rumors are that developers are finding alot of flexability in the 360 and are getting new insights into the power almost on a weekly basis. Least in the beginning that is. This with OOO multi core processing and other aspects to master the more they get out of their first generation game will prepare them for their next venture.

I see the PS3 being no different and maybe in some ways a little more of a challenge given the Cell and its own set of challenges. Either way if a few extra months gives developers a greater insight to the systems capabilities and enhances games and gameplay then I'm all for it :) Quality over quantity :)

Blade said:
A lot of those games are either ports or somewhat uninteresting.

*yawn* It reminds me the DS launch where they claimed to have 25 launch titles. Turned out to be closer to 7.
If there's a handhled that's a portbox that's certainly NOT the DS.

As for the rest,PDZ,PGR3,ridge racer6,Kameo,Condemned,DOA4(games that are only available on the xbox360) all these seem pretty good to me and with enough variety for a launch.You have your shooter ,your racers,your kiddie action/adventure,your horror game,your fighting game.Add to this CoD2 which is not really a port but was co-developed with the PC version and it shows with its technical excellence(unlike for example QuakeIV that screams port) and you have a rounded line up for a console that is not on the market for mopre than 2 months.Let's see what the other consoles will have after they have launched IN THEIR HOME TERRITORY(cause that's what a real "launch" is).

As for the future in the next 5 months(before E3) we should see games like splinter cell 4(the definite version of the game will be the xbox360 one with different content than the other versions),Oblivion,Dead Rising,The outfit,Ghost recon3,99 nights,Saint's raw,Full Auto and more.Not great,but not bad either....

Back