What ever happened to the "waves" of 360 games?

Pozer

Regular
Back in spring MS claimed they weren't gonna release a huge pile of games at launch but instead their would be weekly waves of releases. I can't find the link but I remember reading there should be around 40 games by the end of 2005. Well it's been almost 1.5 months since launch and I've only seen 1 game released (doa4).

Pozer said:
Back in spring MS claimed they weren't gonna release a huge pile of games at launch but instead their would be weekly waves of releases. I can't find the link but I remember reading there should be around 40 games by the end of 2005. Well it's been almost 1.5 months since launch and I've only seen 1 game released (doa4).

they said 40 games by end of launch window which is 3 months total

I guess you are not very good at math.

18 games at launch, + 3 = 21.

40-21 = 19.

Not 30 or so.

No wonder we can't have honest debates when even tiny facts like this must be skewed and mis-represented.

I think the development timetable has been held back a bit because of the delay in getting proper hardware to the devs.

dukmahsik said:
they said 40 games by end of launch window which is 3 months total

Even so, it doesn't seem like they will get anywhere near 40 games by that time. From GameFAQs:

1/23:
Top Spin 2

1/31:
Demonik
Lost Odyssey
Scarface: The World Is Yours
Test Drive Unlimited
Tomb Raider: Legend

2/07:
Frame City Killer

2/21:
Full Auto

Count Lost Odyssey out, as that game is nowhere near finished. If all the others are released according to that schedule, that means 26 launch-window games by my count. The worst part is that the most highly-anticipated games are the ones that will miss launch-window (Oblivion and Gears of War)

We will get Blue Dragon before(probably long before) we get Lost Odyssey. I personally don't mind as long as Blue Dragon makes it stateside.

Ya there's definately not much to look forward to for the next couple of months.

I wonder how long until the japanese games get over here, enchant arm, n3 and chromehounds. Those 3 look much more exciting to me than anything officially announced for Jan or Feb.

March should see Obvlivion and GR: AW which will be pretty nice.

according to ebgames and gamerankings, these titles should make it too:

1/23:
College Hoops 2K6

1/31:
The Darkness
Dead Rising

but i don't know how accurate those sites are.

scooby_dooby said:
I guess you are not very good at math.

18 games at launch, + 3 = 21.

40-21 = 19.

Not 30 or so.

No wonder we can't have honest debates when even tiny facts like this must be skewed and mis-represented.

No, I'm just not very good at tracking every single X360 game available. I didn't realize there were 18 (actually, I think IGN has 19 listed). Obviously that is more than I thought, but we both know that 19 games won't be releasing next month. Not even close. (though if you want to start counting live arcade games... :p)

IGN only has two "solid" release dates listed for Feb. It has a lot of "January 2006" though, but most are obviously placeholders.

So, 19 + 3 + 2 = 24. Right at half the stated goal. That is poor by any standards, though the end of the year certainly looks enticing.

Count The Darkness out for awhile. It just switched publishers, which could have a impact on the release date.

Have to account for games that got pushed back since that announcement of 40 games ;)

Serenity Painted Death said:
That is poor by any standards
That sounds like lazy reasoning to me. What standards are you comparing it to? Past console launches? Or the stated goal of 40?

Anyone feel up to listing how many the PS1 had 3 months after the JPN launch? Or the PS2? Dreamcast? N64? GameCube? Xbox?

And it should be 3 months after the first territory launch, not 3 months after the NA launch...

.Sis

Serenity Painted Death said:
So, 19 + 3 + 2 = 24. Right at half the stated goal. That is poor by any standards, though the end of the year certainly looks enticing.

What exactly was the stated goal for Jan 2, 2006? Oh right..there was none.

Try Again.

The 360 is in a position right now where it doesn't really have to deliver. It's smart to wait for the games to be ready instead of sticking with deadlines.

3roxor said:
The 360 is in a position right now where it doesn't really have to deliver. It's smart to wait for the games to be ready instead of sticking with deadlines.
That's a very insightful comment. When a system is selling out, there's little need to spur demand.

Though I hope we see some more games soon. Oblivion isn't due till March? Ugh :cry:

.Sis

Kinda frustrating. I guess development time will increase drastically this gen also. I imagine come this fall we will see alot of ps3/x360 ports from the big game houses. I'd much rather they take their time and make a game right than play another quake4 on the 360.

Looking forward to Ghostrecon, Dead Rising, Chromehounds. The Outfit, and Saints Row. hopefully they come out this spring...

I'm most looking forward to Prey and Alan Wake at this point. Well Halo3 and RE5 as well but those are surely quite a while off.

Back