What console did you get and did 1P impact your decision

What console do you own and did 1st parties impact your decision, check all that apply

• Total voters
I think anyone should be of Envy if all they needed was 1 game an entire generation. With 3000 hour invested into a single title, that person would be averaging about a 15c or less per hour of entertainment. One could easily argue doing above 3000 hours for some titles. Like closer to 8000 hours with the right game.

I estimated about 2500-3000 hours for me in Destiny 1 (1900+ hours on website timewastedondestiny.com, but that site underreports game play time because it doesn't count tower and orbit, which surely add hundreds more hours of active gameplay).

Although I did buy all expansions, however much extra $ that adds.

Umm for the topic well, I'm pretty much welded to Xbox now, since 2001. It just is what it is. They'd have to exit the console business for me to go to Playstation, if then. Well, unless they went underpowered gimmick powered console ala Nintendo at some point. For one, I dont like the PS controller. For two, IMO there's way too much duplication to justify owning an Xbox and a Playstation. especially since both require pay online now.

About the exclusives, I USED to love Halo, and actually the series is still good for some kicks like dawdling around in MCC in my Destiny down time. But TBH, both Gears and Halo have lost a lot of luster especially when after Destiny every non Destiny game struggles to hold much appeal. I expect both those series are going GAAS soon which could well revitalize my interest. Even as single player games, I can always get hyped for the next one (which hype is usually let down). For Halo, they really went away from pushing 30 FPS single player graphical showcase, which greatly harmed my interest.

Last edited:
But you're buying into the Xbox Eccosystem, even if the hardware is a PC. :cool:

Exactly. I'm saying you don't need an Xbox console to play most recent Xbox exclusives. :yep2: I'm putting it out there as there isn't an option for Windows10 but exclusives are important to me.

There are no choice about why you didn't buy something. Only select the consoles you own.

If you would have bough xyz regardless of it's 1P, but still appreciate some, that would make them unimportant in your choice, I guess?

And if only one game was the reason you bought it, that's certainly buying because of 1P.

You do occasionally, they just aren't day and date usually. Ori and the Blind Forest is a great example. Although I can't remember, is that 1st or 2nd party? I can't remember if the studio is owned by MS or whether it is only the IP that is owned by MS.

Regards,
SB

OK, so, how to vote?

I bought an XBO for Kinect and TV integration. Not for game exclusives. The console hasn't even been turned on in 2 years now due to the death of Kinect support and TV integration support.

Is hardware features considered exclusives in the context of this poll? So for example, would buying an XBO-S for UHD playback be considered buying it for an exclusive?

Going down that rabbit hole, would buying an Xbox over PS due to the controller layout be considered buying it for an exclusive? OK, this one is getting into silly pedantic territory, but I'm genuinely curious about the previous questions about Kinect, TV Integration, and UHD playback.

I single out those features as they aren't necessarily gaming features. Kinect was more appealing for voice and gesture commands than for games when buying the XBO for myself. The only Kinect 2 application that I owned on XBO was a fitness app. that couldn't be considered a game. It was more like those 80's VHS exercise tapes that you followed along with, except that it would tell you if you were doing thing correctly or not.

Regards,
SB

OK, so, how to vote?

I bought an XBO for Kinect and TV integration. Not for game exclusives.
I wrote first parties in the title, also in the question, and I repeated it in every single line, to make sure there is no ambiguity. The information we are looking for is the impact of first party games, a.k.a. First Parties, a.k.a. 1P, on console sales.

Were first party games a factor in the purchase decision. Versus not buying that console. I don't know how to write the question more precisely. If you would have bought that console regardless of it's first party games, then it was obviously not a factor in your decision.

Those who bought a PS3 as a bluray player because it was the best/least expensive BR player... First parties were not a factor in the purchase. Even if they buy a lot of games later.

The difference between first parties and exclusives is subtle but important: a first party is an investment from the console manufacturer into it's own studios. It adds games regardless of what happens on other platforms. A third or second party exclusive is outside the scope of this poll.

What? How about Killer Instinct (which is how I'm able to play it)? And if I'm not mistaken, there was some talk over at Microsoft about increasing there first-party games across other Store Fronts, which includes Steam.

Read DSoup's, Brit's and Shifty's posts in sequence for context. Having a few Xbox exclusives available on Steam doesn't make the PC a viable alternative to buying an Xbox if you are interested in Xbox exclusives. Having most Xbox exclusives coming to the Windows Store does.

Simple poll. Because everybody love polls.

Edit: it's about impacting a purchase decision. Any first parties present, or announced, or expected, or simply hoped for at the time of purchase. Canceled or delayed titles count because you expected them. Expecting a studio, or a favorite director, must be working on their next title.

Sony first-party titles were always my reasons on purchasing PlayStation systems, while the PC met my third-party needs (i.e, eye-candy settings). My decisions on purchasing XBOX-OG and XB360 was strictly exclusives as well, more so for the Halo and Gears of War series. My decision on purchasing XBO-X was more so technological... having the latest and greatest third-party gaming experience while traveling, or when I'm not in front of my PCs.

Makes the question precise and about the impact of a specific form of long term investment. I doubt it would change the results by much, if at all, but that would open a can of worms. And the thread would completely derail becoming about the meaning of the word exclusive. I have been here long enough to know what to expect. Everything must be worded PERFECTLY.

Read DSoup's, Brit's and Shifty's posts in sequence for context. Having a few Xbox exclusives available on Steam doesn't make the PC a viable alternative to buying an Xbox if you are interested in Xbox exclusives. Having most Xbox exclusives coming to the Windows Store does.

I disagree. If Steam had three or four of Sony's major first party titles, lets say God of War, The Last of US, Uncharted and maybe Bloodborne, IMHO, PC could be a valid choice over the PlayStation. And let's be honest here, Microsoft is (will) more than likely move more-and-more titles over to other storefronts because it makes smart business sense on doing so. If you have a huge population of PC gamers tied to Steam, that don't particular care for Microsoft's ecosystem/storefront ...would it be wiser to spend millions and millions of dollars more, on convincing Steam gamers on moving over (dead-end), or just simply offer them the game on any storefront? There is a reason why Microsoft is currently expanding their catalogue of games across Steam (i.e., if you can't beat them, then join them).

Last edited:
I disagree. If Steam had three or four of Sony major first party titles, lets say God of War, The Last of US, Uncharted and maybe Bloodborne, IMHO, PC could be a valid choice over the PlayStation. And let's be honest here, Microsoft is (will) more than likely move more-and-more titles over to other storefronts because it makes smart business sense on doing so. If you have a huge population of PC gamers tied to Steam, that don't particular care for Microsoft's ecosystem/storefront ...would it be wiser to spend millions and millions of dollars more, on convincing Steam gamers on moving over (dead-end), or just simply offer them the game on any storefront? There is a reason why Microsoft is currently expanding their catalogue of games across Steam (i.e., if you can't beat them, then join them).

I think it is very unlikely MS will start making decisions that benefit the success of their content, but compromise the success of their platforms. The former is very much in service of the latter.

I think it is very unlikely MS will start making decisions that benefit the success of their content, but compromise the success of their platforms. The former is very much in service of the latter.

How are they not helping Steam? a) They're providing the Steam App through their Storefront; b) they're providing first-party gaming content on Steam; and c) Phil Spencer is pretty much admitting, Steam is the de facto platform for PC gamers, and content providers.

"I look at Steam today, it's on an incredible growth trajectory. It's a massive force in gaming; a positive force. I think it will be bigger a year from now than it is today. And five years later it will still be bigger again," Spencer said. "I look at Valve as an important [independent software vendor] for us on Windows. They are a critical part of gaming's success on Windows. I don't think Valve's hurt by not having our first-party games in their store right now. They're doing incredibly well. We will ship games on Steam again."

He acknowledged that Microsoft's efforts to build its own online store haven't gone entirely smoothly, but said the company remains committed to making it happen. And, he said, Valve isn't suffering too greatly in the absence of some of Microsoft's games. “I think they're doing fine without Quantum Break in their store,” he said.]

The only major Microsoft first-party titles that are missing from Steam, that I can think of, is Forza and Gears. And yes, Quantum Break is on Steam.

Last edited:
How are they not helping Steam? a) They're providing the Steam App through their Storefront; b) they're providing first-party gaming content on Steam; and c) Phil Spencer is pretty much admitting, Steam is the de facto platform for PC gamers, and content providers.

The only major Microsoft first-party titles that are missing from Steam, that I can think of, is Forza and Gears. And yes, Quantum Break is on Steam.

Sea of Thieves, Halo, Crackdown, Forza Horizon (they are 2 seperate series), State of Decay 2 (this one may end up on Steam eventually, but it's a timed exclusive at least).

I'm not convinced that the releases they have done on Steam aren't partially motivated by them being able to determine best practices for doing releases on both platforms (UWP and Steam) so they can share them with 3rd parties. Being able to pass along what is learned in-house to dev support so it can be shared with partners is one of the benefits of having first party development, after all.

How many Kinect games that you were interested in were cross platform?

Haven't had your coffee yet? :p

I single out those features as they aren't necessarily gaming features. Kinect was more appealing for voice and gesture commands than for games when buying the XBO for myself. The only Kinect 2 application that I owned on XBO was a fitness app. that couldn't be considered a game. It was more like those 80's VHS exercise tapes that you followed along with, except that it would tell you if you were doing thing correctly or not.

Back