What company's next-gen plans are you most interested in?

What company's next-gen plans are you most interested in?

• MS, I would love to know what they are truly up to, and what the specs of the Xenon are

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo, I would love to know what they are truly up to, and what the specs of the revolution are,

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ty said:
I'm having a hard time believing you've even touched the game (Lemmings). Don't bother to try harder, you'll only waste our time further.

i doubt jarrod did not touch lemmings. after all, lemmings was one of the biggest games of the 16bits.

I think both games are different, but my english is not good enough to convey the emotions and empathy i got playing that game, whereas in lemming i did not care once (and even laughed) when lemmings died.

Ty said:
jarrod said:
With a comment like that, I'm having a hard time believing you've even touched the game. Try harder.

Over sensitive are we? I bought the game (Pikmin1) in my on going crusade to get my wife to play video games. It's enjoyable but imo very similiar. In other words, with a comment like that, I'm having a hard time believing you've even touched the game (Lemmings). Don't bother to try harder, you'll only waste our time further.
Heh, a snotty simplistic reversal in place of any substantial evaluation and I'm the one who's oversensitive? I guess my Ico breakdown struck a nerve. ;)

Put your money where your mouth is. Can I get some insight as to exactly why Lemmings and Pikmin are so similar in terms of game design? Something more than a quick reply about superficial parallels like herding little cute things? Are you saying these games actually play or are structured at all similarly?

jvd said:
whats inovative about gta 3 ? Its gta in 3d . I didn't know 3d makes something inovative ?
GTA3 gets points mainly for setting the standard rather than doing anything fundamentally new. It's sort of like Super Mario Bros or Street Fighter II in that respect, it's had enourmous impact but from a design standpoint eveything had really been done before.

jvd wrote:
whats inovative about gta 3 ? Its gta in 3d . I didn't know 3d makes something inovative ?

GTA3 gets points mainly for setting the standard rather than doing anything fundamentally new. It's sort of like Super Mario Bros or Street Fighter II in that respect, it's had enourmous impact but from a design standpoint eveything had really been done before.

but the credit goes to gta as it set the standard before gta 3.

90% of what could be done in gta 3 was done in gta and that other 10% was just crudder crap thrown on.

Super mario bros was the first side scroller of that depth with branching routes to the end. Being able to warp and get power ups like that .

Supermario 2 introduced multiple chars in which they all have strengths and weaknesses.

Super mario 3 introduced a semi linear maped world in which you could make many choices on how to go along and also what type of suit you want to bring into the zones .

Super mario world really didn't do anything just took super mario 3 one step further.

Super mario 64 made the 3d side scrollers. It was and is the standard of which all are compared too.

Super mario sunshine did nothing just bult on supermario 64.

By what your saying since one or two things were added to super mario world and a water back pack to sunshine that they like gta 3 that just went 3d is innovative ?

jvd said:
By what your saying since one or two things were added to super mario world and a water back pack to sunshine that they like gta 3 that just went 3d is innovative ?
That's not what I'm saying though. SMB, SF2 and GTA3 really just expanded upon and "perfected" previous concepts, but they were done well enough to become huge phenomenons and have a large impact on the idustry at large. There were fighting games before SF2 and scrolling platformers before SMB as well, but they never struck a universal chord like the mentioned games. This goes for other huge games like Pokemon, Sonic, Halo, Gran Turismo, Dragon Quest or Mortal Kombat as well... though each may have some novel elements and really push boundries, they're not exactly brand new concepts.

jarrod said:
jvd said:
That's not what I'm saying though. SMB, SF2 and GTA3 really just expanded upon and "perfected" previous concepts, but they were done well enough to become huge phenomenons and have a large impact on the idustry at large. There were fighting games before SF2 and scrolling platformers before SMB as well, but they never struck a universal chord like the mentioned games. This goes for other huge games like Pokemon, Sonic, Halo, Gran Turismo, Dragon Quest or Mortal Kombat as well... though each may have some novel elements and really push boundries, they're not exactly brand new concepts.

But gta and gta 2 already perfected the stealing and murdering cop concepts in an open world .

Can you list for e the things that were perfected in gta 3 ?

As i mentioned mario bros did more than perfect and idea . Which i doubt gta 3 even did because its just a 3d version of the first 2 .

jarrod said:
Heh, a snotty simplistic reversal in place of any substantial evaluation and I'm the one who's oversensitive? I guess my Ico breakdown struck a nerve. ;)

If it was snotty the second time around, it was snotty the first time. So yes, I would say you are overly sensitive to someone else's opinion of Pikmin. Did you read the part where I said I BOUGHT IT and I LIKED IT?

Ico breakdown? Never played it. Don't even own a PS2. Uh, what's your next attempt going to be? Slander my cat because he's not a pure bred?

jarrod said:
Put your money where your mouth is. Can I get some insight as to exactly why Lemmings and Pikmin are so similar in terms of game design? Something more than a quick reply about superficial parallels like herding little cute things? Are you saying these games actually play or are structured at all similarly?

Start at the macro level concept then. Controlling little beings under your direction that you need to finish the level. Then look at the interaction you have with the environment and see that it still boils down to "controlling little beings to do your bidding". Mind you, the details of how you interact may be different (one digs, one lifts, etc.) so I'm just saying the concept is similiar. If anything I do give Pikmin props for polish and theme though.

/me wonders if it is that time of the month again?

lemmings is mostly a puzzle game, with some arcade..

pikmin you have some puzzle too but you have some aspects that are not part of lemmings: exploration/adventure, action, boss fights, collecting, management...

like wazoo i had no empathy for the lemmings, fun to watch them die, especially when doing the armageddon thing.. with their little scream, the pop then the fireworks, it was meant to be funny.

i do not like these little pikmins to die, i can replay a level because i'm not satisfied with the losses although it would have no consequence to continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back