What company's next-gen plans are you most interested in?

What company's next-gen plans are you most interested in?

• MS, I would love to know what they are truly up to, and what the specs of the Xenon are

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo, I would love to know what they are truly up to, and what the specs of the revolution are,

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
crystalcube said:
but isn't all this interest in CELL is because of PS3 ? I mean I dont see such big threads about itanium or alpha or xeons , etc. ( all in context of Beyond3D:Console discussions )

I see no game consoles with an Itanium inside.

So doesn't make sense for me to start a thread on Revolution but if you feel like probably you can start /quote]

There is no thread on the Revolution because there is NO factual info about it.

Got it ??

wazoo said:
I see no game consoles with an Itanium inside.

isn't that what I said that interest in CELL is because of PS3.

There is no thread on the Revolution because there is NO factual info about it.

Got it ??

Interestingly no thread about Revolution for Rumours/speculations either ;)

crystalcube said:
isn't that what I said that interest in CELL is because of PS3.

WE have a big thread about CELL because we have tangible and factual information about the CELL, that just arrived yesterday. It has nothing (or little) to do with the forum more interested with one console or another. There is also a less recent thread (or more) about Xbox2. Wait for Jan5 and Xbox2 topics will be plenty.

Because we know nothing about it, not even something worthy of a rumour.

crystalcube said:
I dont have any interest in Revolution as of now and not looking forward to it although do hope it comes out with some revolutions. So doesn't make sense for me to start a thread on Revolution

I am far more interested in the Revolution than the other two next-generation consoles and yet I have not started a thread about it. Guess why?

crystalcube said:

That's partly due to the fact that one of the next-generation consoles already looks like a "2005 GCN2". ;) But there is a primary reason why there are not many threads about the Revolution. Guess what the reason is? BTW, look at the poll results above you. :D

london-boy said:
Well... We know it's going to be a... RRRRRRRRRrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrevolution!!!

And it will also likely be the most powerful and/or efficient next-generation console. :D

Readykilowatt said:
And it will also likely be the most powerful and/or efficient next-generation console. :D

Hey, i need that crystal ball you're using, huge jackpot this week and i need the numbers.

On the subject of innovation I'd like to go by platform and list a few for this generation (on their original platforms):

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5, Seaman, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, REZ, Phantasy Star Online, Typing of the Dead, Metropolis Street Racer

PS2 - ICO, Frequency, Katari Damacy, GTA3

Xbox - Halo, Splinter Cell, Steel Battalion, Star Wars: KOTOR, BLiNX, Sudeki

Cube - Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe, Animal Crossing

So there was a fair bit of innovation throughout this hardware cycle, but spread around amongst the various platforms. Sega (10) innovated the most with Sony (3), MS (3) and Nintendo (3) innovating the least.

Johnny Awesome said:
On the subject of innovation I'd like to go by platform and list a few for this generation (on their original platforms):

Dreamcast - Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Space Channel 5, Seaman, Shenmue, Jet Set Radio, REZ, Phantasy Star Online, Typing of the Dead, Metropolis Street Racer

PS2 - ICO, Frequency, Amplitude, Katari Damacy, GTA3

Cube - Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe

So there was a fair bit of innovation throughout this hardware cycle, but spread around amongst the various platforms. Sega (10) and Sony (4) innovated the most with MS (3) and Nintendo (2) innovating the least.

Well that chart might need more to it that it does now...

london-boy said:
Johnny Awesome said:

PS2 - ICO, Frequency, Amplitude, Katari Damacy, GTA3

Cube - Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe

So there was a fair bit of innovation throughout this hardware cycle, but spread around amongst the various platforms. Sega (10) and Sony (4) innovated the most with MS (3) and Nintendo (2) innovating the least.

Well that chart might need more to it that it does now...

is not amplitude the sequel to frequency ??

you missed animal crossing.

you also went over the top with sega :LOL:

Yeah it's a bit of a wonky chart i must say....

Frequency and Amplitude are the same series, Amplitude is the sequel.

Some of those Sega games and the MS games... Innovative? Mmmmm...

And he left out a lot too from all the companies.....

london-boy said:
Don't know about MS, but i think you can cut Sony some slack here, i think they more than proved they can make innovative titles this generation, and have taken huge risks. ICO was a risk and commercially it didn't do too well, still they're releasing the sequel, cause they know that the first was a masterpiece, and the second one will probably be the same, go look it up then come back saying it isn't an innovative design.

london-boy said:
Celda was "different", but in the end... it's still freaking Zelda.
Mario Sunshine was a disappointment, not innovative at all.
All the mario sport titles, no innovation there.
A couple of titles (pikmin and animal crossing) that happen to be innovative isn't gonna keep them floating forever. Especially if those titles are just innovatiove but not "excellent" like Ico was and ICO2 will probably be.
Woah now, I adore Ico as much as the next guy but you're seriously reaching if you think there's anything "innovative" or "excellent" about it's basic game design and mechanics.

Ico excells thanks to presentation. Period. It establishes a compelling world and sense of history while pushing things forward with elemental, integrated storytelling. Inspiring architecture, unparalleled mood, rich lighting, fragile protagonists... it's a beautiful game certianly, maybe even the most beautiful game. That's why I love it.

But in terms of game design and mechanics, it's nothing more than Another World brought into 3D with a dash of Zelda block/environment puzzles and a muddy, mashing combat engine. Nothing new here, and honestly it's even though it's rather standard design it's not implemeted that well either. Ico is medicore playing game by most standards. Which somewhat worries me about Wanda and the Colossus actually, shifting towards more action and combat which were precisely Ico's lowpoints. Ico succeeded because of it's thoughtful nature and sense of wonder... hopefully Fumito Ueda can pull a "real" action game off. It looks promising so far anyway.

And further more, Pikmin is certainly "excellent" if a little on the short side. Character focused direction, exploratory puzzle based progression, light micromanagement, playful real world scale... there's really not anything else out there like it. And it all comes together amazingly well, it's actually probably the best game to come out of EAD this generation. It's lightyears ahead of Ico in terms of novelty and risk as well.

Animal Crossing on the other hand is almost the opposite. Nothing more than a glorified furniture collection simulation with brick dumb mechanics. It's probably the worst thing to ever come out of Nintendo, "innovative" or not.

Johnny Awesome said:

PS2 - ICO, Frequency, Katari Damacy, GTA3

Cube - Pikmin, Metroid Prime, Super Monkey Ball, Viewtiful Joe, Animal Crossing
Well, if we really are using original platforms...

Naomi- Crazy Taxi, Samba de Amigo, Typing of the Dead, Monkey Ball

... I'd also say nearly every game up there is highly derivative of something else. Katamari, Pikmin, Seaman, JSR, GTA3 and Steel Batallion being the most novel in terms of game design.

To me, Pikmin is nothing more than a 3d version of Lemmings. I like it but I don't find it "innovative".

Ty said:
To me, Pikmin is nothing more than a 3d version of Lemmings. I like it but I don't find it "innovative".
With a comment like that, I'm having a hard time believing you've even touched the game. Try harder.

I think we should not go in to too much abstraction in how much who invented and what.
Certainly nintendo cant be cheared by the products made by the likes of Retro or clover studios.
Microsoft is not Bungie or Dice and Certainly Sony is not Konami or Rock Star.

yes hardware witch will as allways be the "dictator" of future softwarequality. The hardware is nothing without the guy who produced/invented Certain new innovative mechanic. Pretty much no one knows the people responsible for the new ideas and im not talking about the director only. Maybe one day we have game nomination shows, big as the oscar. where the guy who produced the wery codec witch made mario1 physics start to move like the way newer seen in a c64game, "fame"". Cry a little and then we could start talking about the ps4.

In hardware vice, next gen everyone will have Godlike graphics. So im looking for better joypads. specially that horrible dualshock , sony should make a total reinvet (we are not in the streetfighter era anymore) and start to pay atention to more hardcore gameplay mechanics, witch cant be Mastered in couble of days and stop making itself 90:s popidol, plus start making virtual headsets. Microsoft should start to make more massive online games with top talent and aggeresively make that xboxlive more attractive so that nintendo and sony would regret newer putting lots of money into online development and start doing so big time. Nintendo should make and best zelda mario and metroid game ever greated , with grrrraaaphics and gameplay better than sex. connet all that with other cubes throught great online plus mobile like connectivity trhought ds allso (so that you cuould check your current status in mariokart tirble dash scoreboard and such :LOL: .

So i pretty sure im getting all that :rolleyes: , expect the majority wants easy gameplay and vr headsets seem to allways fade in to near future. plus everyone WANTS to be a pop idol. so bad point. But seems like nintendo could revolutionize gaming :LOL:

jarrod said:
With a comment like that, I'm having a hard time believing you've even touched the game. Try harder.

Over sensitive are we? I bought the game (Pikmin1) in my on going crusade to get my wife to play video games. It's enjoyable but imo very similiar. In other words, with a comment like that, I'm having a hard time believing you've even touched the game (Lemmings). Don't bother to try harder, you'll only waste our time further.

whats inovative about gta 3 ? Its gta in 3d . I didn't know 3d makes something inovative ?

Also that racing game u listed on the dreamcast wasn't inovative. It was a racing game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back