Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I base my console choice on:

-best games in past generations
-best first / second party studios
-best build quality
-best value for money
-best design
-most future proof (as demonstrated in past generations)
-internal PSU
-best indie treatment

So for me it was quite an easy choice this time.

So you went pc? :)

Yeah I would have been more interested in Steam or even PC if it had all the games that consoles get, such as sports games.

Instead, it's mostly shooters and MMORPGs so unless you're really into those genres ...

Instead, it's mostly shooters and MMORPGs so unless you're really into those genres ...

I just finished Dead Space 3 cooped with a friend and now we're starting to play Resident Evil 5. With my girlfriend I play Sonic Racing Transformed and Rayman Origins. With two friends I'm just about to finish Trine and then we'll probably start with Trine 2 or maybe pick up Torchlight 2 again.
Single player, I'm now playing the Devil May Cry DLC, after finishing Bioshock Infinite. Before that, I played Divinity Dragon Commander, Tomb Raider, Mark of the Ninja, Spec Ops: The Line and Sleeping Dogs. Sometimes I also play Sonic Generations and Super Street Fighter IV with another friend.
All of this in a PC.

Bioshock Infinite was probably the only "shooter" I played from beginning to end in 2013. And it's a superb one at that.

So just from there I count some 16 games: one multiplatform shooter, one PC exclusive strategy game, one PC exclusive RPG and 13 mutliplatform titles that include racing, platform, 3rd person, side-scrollers and a fighting game.

Your argument could be true somewhere in 2007, but it's certainly very flawed for 2013.
Plus, I'm pretty sure I played all those multiplatform titles with a much superior IQ than their console versions, since almost all ports nowadays take advantage of the exponentially more powerful platform (not just resolution).

I do want a PS4 for some 1st/2nd party games, like the ones from Naughty Dog, Quantic Dream and SCE Santa Monica.
But that's a long way from stating that the PC is "mostly shooters and MMORPGs".
It doesn't even make any sense: the PC is the first home to most of the Indie titles and only when faced with success do they transition to the consoles.

Your argument could be true somewhere in 2007, but it's certainly very flawed for 2013.

One interesting thing about peoples replies though is it shows that pc's biggest issue apparently is marketing, as people really have no clue about what games/genres/etc are available for play on pc. That was quite surprising I must admit, go figure.

That's a good sampling of ports from consoles. But is the selection of platform, fighting, puzzle games as comprehensive as it is on consoles?

For instance, EA makes FIFA for PC still, which is the most popular sports game in the world. But it doesn't make Madden or NHL for PC.

One interesting thing about peoples replies though is it shows that pc's biggest issue apparently is marketing, as people really have no clue about what games/genres/etc are available for play on pc. That was quite surprising I must admit, go figure.
There are many reasons why PC gaming isn't as big IMO:
1) Cost - even a comparable PC would cost more than a console.
2) Comfort - yes you can setup a HTPC to your surround sound and play from your couch, but it's not as easy.
3) Content - I think it's an undeniable fact that consoles have more exclusive content. I think sales are a big reason for that, and piracy is one of the reasons for the lack of sales.

There is some exclusive PC content and PCs obviously have the advantage in terms of power; but cost, ease of use and content are what make consoles more popular.

Last edited by a moderator:

Serious post or wishful thinking?

That's a good sampling of ports from consoles. But is the selection of platform, fighting, puzzle games as comprehensive as it is on consoles?

For instance, EA makes FIFA for PC still, which is the most popular sports game in the world. But it doesn't make Madden or NHL for PC.

There's a lot of indie 2D fighters on PC. Some of which are extremely good. As well as a decent assortment of AAA multiplatform fighters.

As well there's even more than a lot of puzzle games on PC. There's an absolute ton of puzzle games.

Lots of indie platformers and a scattering of AAA multiplatform platformers. Volgarr the Viking (http://store.steampowered.com/app/247240/?snr=1_7_15__13 ) is an extremely good old school 2D platformer that just came out thanks to Kickstarter.

There's also far more top down action RPGs on PC than on console. Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile stand out as 2 extremely good PC exclusives on that front. Both of which could be considered better than Diablo 3 in many ways.

And there's also quite a lot of good adventure games on PC that you won't find on console.

No need to mention shooters, RTS, or MMO's when there's so much more of the other genres on PC than on console. Not to say that consoles don't have their share of console exclusives.

Hell, the PS4 launch lineup is partially composed of old PC games. Although I guess they will be new to console gamers.

It'll be interesting to see how many of the successful indie devs on PC actually manage to be successful on console. Many of those indie devs cater to a very PC centric crowd.

Regards,
SB

pc has been my console of choice for generations. prob since the 32 bit era .At that point I could cut grass and shovel during the year to save up for pc upgrades.

For the 32bit era I had a Saturn , then I got a dreamcast cause my friend would play online with them and none of them had the ability to keep up with the pc side. I bought a gamecube but skipped the ps2 / xbox years. To much drinking at college. Then I moved to the xbox 360 as everyone wanted to play online again and theyare all moving to the xbox one . Sony would have to really step up their online game for them to buy a ps4.

In fact a lot of friends have seen my eyefinity rig and have used my other friends rift. So 2014 is the year of killer rigs for everyone.

I agree.
For example, what does the PC Gaming Alliance do? They have Intel, AMD, Epic and many others. At some point they also had Microsoft and nVidia.. but what do they actually do?
They organize conferences? Send a couple of e-mails?
I don't know. I think I've never seen anything coming from them, not a banner, an advertisement, nothing.

2D puzzle, platform and fighting games have been flooding the PC market for years from indie developers. Kickstarter and Greenlight have been helping them come to market faster than ever.
Higher budget fighting games also seem to be in parity with the consoles. There's Super Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs. Tekken, the new Mortal Kombat and Injustice is scheduled to release next month.

That means PC gaming adoption is weaker in the USA and Canada, sure.
And then there's the other 6.8 billion people in the world. :LOL:

I agree.
For example, what does the PC Gaming Alliance do? They have Intel, AMD, Epic and many others. At some point they also had Microsoft and nVidia.. but what do they actually do?
They organize conferences? Send a couple of e-mails?
I don't know. I think I've never seen anything coming from them, not a banner, an advertisement, nothing.

2D puzzle, platform and fighting games have been flooding the PC market for years from indie developers. Kickstarter and Greenlight have been helping them come to market faster than ever.
Higher budget fighting games also seem to be in parity with the consoles. There's Super Street Fighter, Street Fighter vs. Tekken, the new Mortal Kombat and Injustice is scheduled to release next month.

That means PC gaming adoption is weaker in the USA and Canada, sure.
And then there's the other 6.8 billion people in the world. :LOL:

Most of who dont have a PC and almost all of who dont have a GPU of any value

Most of who dont have a PC and almost all of who dont have a GPU of any value

Woah.
Sure, the rest of the world is just using old PCs, probably some 486 and early-Pentium leftovers from USA.
:rolleyes:

I think PS4 can really give indie developers a big market: they will have a solid, secure platform that is the same for everyone, that always works, and one that has solid payment methods and zero piracy.
The tools are there, even the devkits can be had practically for free, so I imagine games like Torchlight3 being developed for PS4 as well.
The PC is like android: some people are willing to pay, but the vast majority won't. I think that a developer will feel welcomed by a real, secure platform.

This is one of the many reasons why PS4 will be the best console for me.

This is a PC right here and it's probably quite a bit quicker than the new consoles, so a PS360 with fancier graphics won't cut it while the games are looking a bit thin. It's the unique features that had me jump in early, with a pre-order.

Back