What company's next-gen plans are you most interested in?

What company's next-gen plans are you most interested in?

• MS, I would love to know what they are truly up to, and what the specs of the Xenon are

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Nintendo, I would love to know what they are truly up to, and what the specs of the revolution are,

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No the point about FF was that there are different characters, worlds and stories even if it is just the save the world cliche in 11 different wats but hey what RPG doesn't use the save the save the world cliche anyway.

Franchise or not, if a game is good, it will sell systems. Take MP for example, if it was a monkey in the suit (tho it will not be as appealing as), but if everything plays great as MP does, I'll get a Cube for it if I didn't already have one.

From the 2D Metroid to 3D MP, it’s a whole new experience. This goes for GTA (game play), FF (immersion), and others. Come next-gen it will another jump and a different experience.

What I really want to see is Sony to use its EyeToy (or next revision) in First Person style games like FPS, RPGs or Adventures. Imagine if it can pickup your head and/or eye motion and move the camera accordingly. Combine this with a gun or light-sensing device with motion speed of a PC mouse, FPS will be a whole new experience.

Can anybody say new/merge genre?? House-of-the-Dead/VirtuCop meets Killzone/Halo/MP. :LOL:

Jov said:
Franchise or not, if a game is good, it will sell systems.
You couldn't be more wrong, though I'm not happy about that. History holds many excellent games that sold poorly.

Inane_Dork said:
Jov said:
Franchise or not, if a game is good, it will sell systems.
You couldn't be more wrong, though I'm not happy about that. History holds many excellent games that sold poorly.

Are those quality game sold poorly due to other reasons? Poor marketing or the company has had poor releases in the past, too many too often?

You can have quality games when judge alone, but if its predecessor was great and the Sequel/prequel doesn't add much to the table, then it’s still not the same quality in comparison.

Take GTA3 (probably a bad example), sure it’s a franchise game, but if it wasn't as radical compared to its predecessors, you think the franchise name will help it sell like it did and still do?

Or are you referring to Sega games? :D

Point was it doesn't have to be a franchise to move systems, ala Halo.

Jov said:
Are those quality game sold poorly due to other reasons? Poor marketing or the company has had poor releases in the past, too many too often?
Exactly why those games sold poorly is irrelevant. That they did sell poorly disproves your statement.

Ah. Excuse me.

Inane_Dork said:
Jov said:
Exactly why those games sold poorly is irrelevant. That they did sell poorly disproves your statement.

Yes, I admit some quality games didn't sell as well as I'd like, and I didn't fully qualify my comments. Games with substance will move systems with the appropriate marketing to mainstream gamers.

You can have an excellent game in a niche market and obviously this will not move systems as those who want it more than likely already own the system.

Nearing the end of this generating, system movers will be games and devices which will bring something new to the table, thus unlikely be a franchised product, given most if not all current and up coming releases are targeting existing market of console owners.

Inane_Dork said:
Jov said:
Ah. Excuse me.

Using Halo as an example was below the belt, but you're excused! :LOL:

Megadrive1988 said:
all 3 of them

I am assuming you're referring to the "KZ/Halo/MP" comment? If so yeah, why not? Take the best elements in an FP Shooter/Adventure, albeit each game is so different in style. But the point was to simulate real camera/view movement as one would in real life. Converge towards VR.

All this will play nicely on a 16:9 HD display. :D

jvd said:
Nintendo allways trys something new .

This generation alone they had that donkey kong drum thingy , they had pikmen , they had animal crossing .

What original fresh titles has sony or ms put out ?

The only company that takes more chances and makes new kinds of games is sega (though not recently)

Nintendo makes something and everyone copys them.

Donkey Konga is made by Namco, not Nintendo, even though it uses Nintedo characters. It's basically a copy of Namco's Taiko Drum Master game that was first in arcades and later for PS2. Both before Donkey konga for GCN.

So, this generation Nintendo had Donkey Konga, a not so original idea.
Sony had Singstar, Taiko Drum Master, Frequency/Amplitude

Pikmin - well, Sony has no equivalent rts light strategy/puzzle game, but the idea is old from Command & Conquer etc.

Animal Crossing - I really don't have much idea what this game is about... some kind of kiddie Sims?

Just putting an original, or old Nintedo character to a familiar genre with little innovation in the gameplay doesn't magically make the game innovative and original.

So, I don't see that much originality by Nintendo today. Their biggest names, Zelda and Mario have at least been severely lacking in innovation, recirculating the same gameplay mechanisms and ideas from N64 games.

...but that's what the mainstream gamers want, essentially familiar games with better graphics. In my opinion it's not the industry's fault, people are not like lemmings, if they'd want to play the same old first person shooter wit updated graphics or the same old driving game with updated graphics and more cars and more tracks.
They don't want an overpriced, simple, one new idea game that's fun for a while, but once the novelty wears off, they're left to collect dust (EyeToy Play, Donkey Konga...).

These new ideas should be implanted to a bigger, more varied game, and often they are, unfortunately they just go unnoticed by critisisers because people see just the "same old franchise", but not the new ideas inside it.

Nintendo.

I know what to expect from Sony and Microsoft but Nintendo im not so sure, lets hope its something different. :)

rabidrabbit said:
Pikmin - well, Sony has no equivalent rts light strategy/puzzle game, but the idea is old from Command & Conquer etc.

Pikmin is A RTS but not a CC clone with weird design. It is something different.

Animal Crossing - I really don't have much idea what this game is about... some kind of kiddie Sims?

AC got several "original design" awards last year, including "innovation in console gaming"

http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/rpg/animalcrossing/news_2911851.html

Just putting an original, or old Nintedo character to a familiar genre with little innovation in the gameplay doesn't magically make the game innovative and original.

using an old licence in a new original game does not prevent it to be fresh and original too.

Jov said:
crystalcube said:
Just looking at this thread -> Details trickle out on CELL processor...<- The attention it has attracted already says a lot about which company's next-gen plan is most interesting.

errr... I'll go and look, but in this thread you can tell us why you're interested it and what you're looking forward to. :D

errr...I thought a thread about cell processor with 16+ pages response says that there seems to be more interest in sony's next gen plan answers the question of this poll ;)
But I was wrong to assume it was so obvious but here goes.
I voted for Sony. Why ?
  1. Cell processor
  2. System architecture of PS3
  3. How this translates to gameplay & graphics
  4. After eyetoy what will sony come up with for next-gen.
  5. Network Play, which will be integerated in PS3
  6. Will PSP and PS3 be able to communicate and how games will be effected if they can ?
  7. Sony also manufactures handphones suporting games and java , will we see games which span across multiple devices ?
  8. BD , will developers be able to exploit its capacity ?
  9. What kind of new games for next-gen will Sony come up from its 1st/2nd Party developers.
  10. What will sony come up with from development tools perspective.
  11. Knowing Cell can ( and possibly will ) be used in electronics gadgets, will we see gadgets from Sony and others using cell which when connected to PS3 have any benefit ?
there are few more but I guess this will do for now.
Again this is what I am looking forward too , others obviously will be looking forward to many other things.

crystalcube said:
errr...I thought a thread about cell processor with 16+ pages response says that there seems to be more interest in sony's next gen plan answers the question of this poll ;)

It just shows we have information on the CELL this week.

Try to build a thread about Revolutiion now. Good luck :D

jvd said:
Nintendo allways tries something new .

Yeah, tries.

What original fresh titles has sony or ms put out ?

Don't know about MS, but i think you can cut Sony some slack here, i think they more than proved they can make innovative titles this generation, and have taken huge risks. ICO was a risk and commercially it didn't do too well, still they're releasing the sequel, cause they know that the first was a masterpiece, and the second one will probably be the same, go look it up then come back saying it isn't an innovative design.

The Eyetoy also won "original design awards" like you said of Animal Crossing, doesn't that mean we should praise them for it?
All the musical titles they released were all very original and of very good quality.
There are many little gems that sold little and will never sell millions on PS2 it's not even funny, just because you don't know of them doens't mean Nintendo is more "innovative" than anyone else. They might have been in the past, but this is today and you seem to be stuck in the 80s like they are.

The only company that takes more chances and makes new kinds of games is sega (though not recently)

B U L L S H I T. Oh, you did say "though not recently". Fair enough, they've done JACK recently.
Well, we need to worry about the future, so the "recently" is quite important. And they have done NOTHING lately that is either innovative or even interesting. If you count VF4 as interesting but that's already old. Outrun... interesting for a while, but as uninnovative as they come.

Nintendo makes something and everyone copys them

Everyone makes something new and they always get copied. Nintendo hasn't done anything new lately, not any more than Sony at least. MS had Live, maybe not something "new" but certainly something that they did properly.

london-boy said:
doesn't that mean we should praise them for it?
All the musical titles they released were all very original and of very good quality.

Sony has the luxury (good for us) not to be concerned with pushing killer app for its platform. So they can try weird and interesting (possibly flops) like the Eyetoy. Nintendo is always forced to have a system selling 1st party line up. And as you said, "innovative" does not equate sales most of the time.

Everyone makes something new and they always get copied. Nintendo hasn't done anything new lately, not any more than Sony at least.

Not any less.

wazoo said:
london-boy said:
doesn't that mean we should praise them for it?

Sony has the luxury (good for us) not to be concerned with pushing killer app for its platform. So they can try weird and interesting (possibly flops) like the Eyetoy. Nintendo is always forced to have a system selling 1st party line up. And as you said, "innovative" does not equate sales most of the time.

Everyone makes something new and they always get copied. Nintendo hasn't done anything new lately, not any more than Sony at least.

Not any less.

As you said, Sony is in the position to just go "oh well..." if a title doesn't sell much. So i think it's for that reason that they have pushed more weird and innovative titles this generation. So, yeah it might be true that Nintendo has "innovated" much less this generation. BLASPHEMY!!! :?
Celda was "different", but in the end... it's still freaking Zelda.
Mario Sunshine was a disappointment, not innovative at all.
All the mario sport titles, no innovation there.
A couple of titles (pikmin and animal crossing) that happen to be innovative isn't gonna keep them floating forever. Especially if those titles are just innovatiove but not "excellent" like Ico was and ICO2 will probably be.

wazoo said:
crystalcube said:

It just shows we have information on the CELL this week.

Try to build a thread about Revolutiion now. Good luck :D

but isn't all this interest in CELL is because of PS3 ? I mean I dont see such big threads about itanium or alpha or xeons , etc. ( all in context of Beyond3D:Console discussions )

I dont have any interest in Revolution as of now and not looking forward to it although do hope it comes out with some revolutions. So doesn't make sense for me to start a thread on Revolution but if you feel like probably you can start and it might change my perception but as of now my interest is still more towards Sony's next gen plan.

london-boy said:
Celda was "different", but in the end... it's still freaking Zelda.
Mario Sunshine was a disappointment, not innovative at all.

MArio and ZElda belong to those games, which are supposed to sell systems. Taking too much a risk is always a difficult decision (albeit WW looks was innovative from a artistic point of view).

All the mario sport titles, no innovation there.

Camelot.

A couple of titles (pikmin and animal crossing) that happen to be innovative isn't gonna keep them floating forever.

I agree and Nintendo too.That is why they are going full gear behind Ds and Revolution.

Especially if those titles are just innovatiove but not "excellent" like Ico was and ICO2 will probably be.

Where is the innovation in ICO ?? And ICO is the worst game to support the idea of "not enough games innovative isn't gonna keep Nintendo floating forever" considering ICO sales.

Considering that you already include ICO2, then I include DK Jungle Beat, which is also very innovative, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back