Are you going to *change* your platform of choice going into next-gen?

Are you going to change your platform of choice going into next-gen?

• I own a Sony console and will get neither

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I own a Nintendo console and will change to Xbox One

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
X1 all the way for me. MS has never let me down.
I wouldn't go that far, but X1 has some potentially nifty features that could get a lot of use early on. Things may change when the games start piling up.

I wouldn't buy a next-gen console at launch, but for said nifty features.

The non-gaming features are meh, especially if you have to subscribe to get them.

For me, no gaming HW upgrades since 2006 so graphics are the main draw.

Have PS4 on preorder, though I hate the PSN Plus requirement for online.

The non-gaming features are meh, especially if you have to subscribe to get them.

For me, no gaming HW upgrades since 2006 so graphics are the main draw.

Have PS4 on preorder, though I hate the PSN Plus requirement for online.
I'm pretty sure you we don't have to subscribe for the Kinect universal remote stuff? Calling up apps and content whenever, the all-in-one bit, is very interesting. As is faff free profile loading and switching. There'll be more than a few users here.

I have the XBL sub anyway.

How about I own both and I might get both :p

Same here although I just recently got the PS3 and was extremely unimpressed with its GUI and PSN and just can't handle the controller.

I'll buy a One first, on launch? Probably not, but didn't buy my 360 at launch either. And maybe a year or so later I'll pick up the PS4 depending on if there's anything that motivates me to find it.

I do agree with NRP's assertion that there's no point in choosing a PS4 over a One because of graphics. If graphics are really your highest priority, then you should be gaming on a PC anyway. The difference, if any, will be slight between the two consoles. So choice should come down to environment, ecosystem, ease of use, etc.

I have both pre-ordered as of now. Unlike others here I am heavily anticipating the next gen of consoles and plan to throw myself into it full force. I do have PS360 but took a long break from consoles this gen because of WOW and other online PC games. I've finally let my subscription to WOW expire and must say really looking forward to playing with a controller again. Bring on the games is all I can say.

There are still a lot of console genres underrepresented in PC games.

Plus, there are more console gamers than PC gamers. A lot of people who bought consoles wouldn't spend hundreds on a video card alone.

So consoles are going to be how more people are exposed to higher quality graphics.

I do agree with NRP's assertion that there's no point in choosing a PS4 over a One because of graphics. If graphics are really your highest priority, then you should be gaming on a PC anyway. The difference, if any, will be slight between the two consoles. So choice should come down to environment, ecosystem, ease of use, etc.
It's not just graphics, it's the price and games. I will buy anything Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital and (for the most part) Sony Santa Monica and GG make. I have no interest in Kinect. As for your PC argument, there are quite a few console exclusives that interest me personally vs none that interest me on PC.

And BTW, while I personally like the XMB and the PS3's interface (simple and clean, albeit a bit slow at times, probably due to the hardware), the PS4's interface is very different from the PS3's, and it will obviously be much faster this time. If you go nearly a whole generation on one platform then try the other one, of course it's going to feel different.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was leaning towards getting ps4 but I don't see any games in near console future I would really like to play. I was tired with old console IP coming to ps3 generation and I'm even more fed up with the same old now. I will become pc gamer again. Haven't really gamed with pc since original unreal tournament. There should be good catalogue of classics with varying game genres to play and there is some super interesting new games coming like:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/larianstudios/divinity-original-sin
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/cig/star-citizen
http://www.grimrock.net/ (grimrock2, haven't played these since eye of beholder and dungeon master series)
and maybe even improved version of gta V appears on pc as per rumours

Setting up pc is quite much more expensive than getting a console but I see the investment worth it. Currently the setup I'm looking to buy hovers between 1000$-1500$ without display(going to use my tv for output). Leaning towards amd gpu's. Maybe there will be some decent console ports and longevity thanks to mantle and amd console deals? it also looks there is no more huge generational leap in performance and features every year on pc front so hardware should last longer than before. Well, this should apply to consoles as well, pc's will not outpace consoles as fast as happened in past.

I might get a xbox1/ps4 later on the cycle if there is enough "must have" exclusive titles coming out. With these must have's I don't mean yet another forza or god of war. Rather something surprising and new like little big planet was in previous generation.

edit. Oh, and oculus rift is a really big deal for me. I'm big fan of proper vr and cannot wait to see what new experiences will be available once the rift hits mainstream.

Yeah if you have no interest in Kinect, no point in paying $100 more for it.

Games, xbox live, dedi servers, voice control of os, snap feature etc... all worth $100 more for those that want it whereas the graphics will be too close to call

Sony's situation with dedicated servers isn't quite as clear, but so far all of the major online titles have dedicated servers on PS4 (BF4, CoD, KZ:SF).

And we'll have to wait and see about the 'too close to call', but I'm guessing that will be the case most of the time.

It's not just graphics, it's the price and games. I will buy anything Naughty Dog, Polyphony Digital and (for the most part) Sony Santa Monica and GG make. I have no interest in Kinect. As for your PC argument, there are quite a few console exclusives that interest me personally vs none that interest me on PC.

And BTW, while I personally like the XMB and the PS3's interface (simple and clean, albeit a bit slow at times, probably due to the hardware), the PS4's interface is very different from the PS3's, and it will obviously be much faster this time. If you go nearly a whole generation on one platform then try the other one, of course it's going to feel different.

I could make the same argument for the Xbox One because as of right now the Xbox One has the better looking gaming lineup all the way into next year. As far as price goes does $100 really matter for a console you're going to have for 8+ years?

Sony's situation with dedicated servers isn't quite as clear, but so far all of the major online titles have dedicated servers on PS4 (BF4, CoD, KZ:SF).

And we'll have to wait and see about the 'too close to call', but I'm guessing that will be the case most of the time.

Killzone Shadowfall doesn't have dedicated servers, it has proxy servers for connecting to other people but the game itself is all P2P and host dependent.

I don't know what the differences between dedicated servers on Xbox One and PS4 COD: Ghosts will but I'm hoping it's not just proxy servers like on Killzone.

BF4 is going to be just like BF3 where they are going to charge a monthly fee to host dedicated servers.

Yeah if you have no interest in Kinect, no point in paying $100 more for it.

I think people are stuck too much in the old mindset that Kinect is just something you play Kinect games with where you throw your hands in the air wildly. The new Kinect does a lot more and since it's built on the system-level it does a lot of cool stuff no matter what you're doing. It's not about being interested in Kinect it's about making gaming more convenient and maybe even more immerse

I could make the same argument for the Xbox One because as of right now the Xbox One has the better looking gaming lineup all the way into next year. As far as price goes does $100 really matter for a console you're going to have for 8+ years?
Of coure it does. Otherwise no-one would ever wait for price drops, and no company would reduce the price of there goods over time!

I think people are stuck too much in the old mindset that Kinect is just something you play Kinect games with where you throw your hands in the air wildly. The new Kinect does a lot more and since it's built on the system-level it does a lot of cool stuff no matter what you're doing. It's not about being interested in Kinect it's about making gaming more convenient and maybe even more immerse
In principle, but MS haven't demonstrated that yet. They haven't shown Kinect's value to a lot of core gamers mostly interested in core games. Few people are probably willing to put $100 on the possibility that something good may come of it. For those who already like what they see, Kinect is worth it. For those who aren't seeing anything they like, $100 is quite a gamble that some day it'll prove worthwhile to them.

It's arguable at best that the lineup is better all the way into next year. At launch I will give MS the edge. But like you said, this isn't a sprint. Sony has the more established first-party studios whereas Microsoft has always relied on third-party exclusives for the most part. It will be more difficult to secure third-party exclusives if they're behind in sales.

For some people, $100 is the sole reason they're choosing the PS4. For everyone else, there's usually not one reason why someone chooses one console over the other, and price will obviously be a big factor. It's not like the PS4 is going to be lacking in the software department.

I base my console choice on:

-best games in past generations
-best first / second party studios
-best build quality
-best value for money
-best design
-most future proof (as demonstrated in past generations)
-internal PSU
-best indie treatment

So for me it was quite an easy choice this time.

I think people are stuck too much in the old mindset that Kinect is just something you play Kinect games with where you throw your hands in the air wildly.

What has MS ( or for that matter any company peddling motion control gimmicks) shown to change that view? That mindset exists for a reason.

The new Kinect does a lot more and since it's built on the system-level it does a lot of cool stuff no matter what you're doing.
Exactly what "cool stuff" does it do and how is it adding meaningful value to the software lineup?

It's not about being interested in Kinect it's about making gaming more convenient and maybe even more immerse
Well, if its not about being more interested in Kinect then that certainly doesn't help its case for the mandatory inclusion in every box. How is it going to make gaming more convenient or immersive beyond the current Kinect?

The answer is simple, it won't. If they haven't found that killer app for motion controls beyond 1 to 1 tracking then they never will. I would go as far as saying that flailing my limbs around at air is less immersive then sitting on my chair, slightly moving my fingers to depress tactile buttons and getting vibration feedback. The fact that X1s top tier lineup of exclusives do not primarily use Kinect as the main input device shows how much confidence MS has in it.

You regurgitate a lot of marketroid buzzwords, but what features exactly are you talking about that are so revolutionary? Even the new kinect isn't precise enough to reliably distinguish facial features (or even things like eyeglasses), individual fingers and so on. Next generation again will be there for sure, but that's not what we're getting in a little over a month, and not for the next half-decade-ish either.

The only thing kinect really offers apart from waving-your-limbs-around-gaming, is voice commands, and I don't know about you, but I don't feel like talking to a fucking gaming console. (Or a mobile phone for that matter, if you want to bring up things like siri and so on.)

So where's the immersiveness, I ask. Where's the convenience? These features are just gimmicks, same with snapping apps side by side to a game - why would I want to do that? If I want to multitask while gaming, a PC does that way better than a console ever will, but more importantly - when I'm gaming I'm gaming. Apps crowding in on the same screen just get in the way of that. Frankly I don't know what the hell MS was thinking when they wasted hardware resources and development money thinking all that stuff up, but whatever.

The xbone is a nice piece of hardware, and I would definitely consider getting one for the GAMES it offers (and not its gimmicky "unique" features), but the huge case and the external power supply put me off, plus I can't really afford it, so I'll have to make do without it, or at least until MS releases a slim version with internal PSU. :)

Just get a PC, or all of them and be done with it !

Although I'm not sure how many exclusives there are these days, and most importantly in the future, if everything is cross plaftorm, the fastest could be enough. (Wait for the benchs to find out which :p)

Back