What can we do to help young boys out there?

You don't need spoonfed.

Did you bother clicking on the link in the first post?
http://www.menshealthnetwork.org/boys/factsheets/01-crisis.php

Check their sources for the facts if you doubt them. For people in education this is common knowledge Chanloth. Find some teachers who are not lazy bums and actually care about their profession and they will know it.

http://pressherald.mainetoday.com/specialrpts/boys/060327admit.shtml

http://www.usatoday.com/news/education/2005-10-19-male-college-cover_x.htm

You can do more research if you want, but the facts are indisputable. Perhaps in a few areas there is still a bias against women, but in the educational area there is no doubt boys of all socio-economic groups are falling behind.

It just isn't popular yet to say that boys are doing badly so there is not a furor about this. If the trend was going to opposite way people would be freaking out and having marches in the streets.
None of those have anything at all to do with your claim that women are in positions of power in the K-12 range.

None of those have anything at all to do with your claim that women are in positions of power in the K-12 range.

You need to do more than say "Evidence please" then.

Specify what it is you do not believe. Earlier you specifically stated you thought it was a race issue. Apparently you changed your mind.

You do not believe there are more women in the education system k-12 then men?

You need to do more than say "Evidence please" then.

Specify what it is you do not believe. Earlier you specifically stated you thought it was a race issue. Apparently you changed your mind.

You do not believe there are more women in the education system k-12 then men?
There are almost certainly more female teachers, but I would be surprised to find the majority of school board members and principals to be female.

As for college, it's absolutely obvious that the majority of leadership positions are held by men, so clearly the increased graduation rates of women has nothing to do with discrimination.

I did find one hint, though, in that when the bachelor's degrees are broken down by income, the difference between men and women disappears in higher income brackets.

I did find one hint, though, in that when the bachelor's degrees are broken down by income, the difference between men and women disappears in higher income brackets.

Because all those women go to school to become teachers.

They are starting with the education system, once they have everyone brainwashed they'll move on to government. ;)

There are almost certainly more female teachers, but I would be surprised to find the majority of school board members and principals to be female.

So to you leadership position from a childs perspective is the school board? Kids dont even know there is a school board.

From a kids perspective it is aide-->teacher-->principal and that is it.

And in grade school most principals are women too.

So to you leadership position from a childs perspective is the school board? Kids dont even know there is a school board.

From a kids perspective it is aide-->teacher-->principal and that is it.

And in grade school most principals are women too.
That's not the point. I'm talking bout decision-making processes here. And decisions about education are not made at the teacher level.

That's not the point. I'm talking bout decision-making processes here. And decisions about education are not made at the teacher level.

Actually they are. Who to punish, who is in timeout, who gets a sticker for behaving well.

The schoolboard decides things like what books they will use for the next 5 years.

I believe (i.e. I don't have any supporting evidence) that there's also something in the general switch from exams to coursework at the 11-18 year age. It's a totally different type of working which brings out the best in women whereas exams used to allow lazier dudes to pull it out in one intensive and stressful session.

It's the testosterone surge during puberty in guys that diverts their attention away from learning, while girls tend to be much cooler.

Why help them? If they are failing, they have no-one to blame but themselves.
Actually that seems to be untrue. A couple of months ago I have read an interview with a nordic, I think swedish, psychologist who made a study about this very topic. He said that both teachers and the modern methology of teaching generally favours girls. Girls, for instance, usually get higher marks for the same performance because they behave better. He also talked about the lack of male teachers at elementary school level (and even kindergarten) and how this negatively affects boys. It seems that boys how have about 50/50 male/femals teachers in elementary school have better marks, show better social behaviour and simply like school more. When he confronted teachers with is findings he got a interesting results. Male teachers usually declined that there was a problem at all and stated that they and the school system as a whole doesn't favor any gender. Female teachers generally acknowleged that there is a problem and even admited that they usually favored the girls and wanted to know how they could better reach the boys.

I think there may be better ways.

Probably, though when you see comments along the lines of "women who get raped brought it upon themselves" then I'm afraid it's difficult to want to engage in any higher-level debate. Quoting the OPs words back to him seems simple and to the point. If he doesn't understand that then all is lost.

This thread seems to be conflating two rather distinct issues (well, they're distinct in my mind).

Back