What can we do to help young boys out there?

Heavily restrict their media and internet consumption, actively supervise them doing homework, encourage them to read...

I can still remember how my father encouraged me to read. He used to read me bedtime stories when I was little - not just stories but really childrens books - and one day he just told me I had to read on myself if I wanted to know how the story ends.

I don't think "less football" would be a good idea. Doing sports doesn't stultify their minds like constant TV and video game consumption does. It might even help them to clear their minds from media overstimulation. At least as long as they don't get the impression that being able to toss around a ball makes up for doing badly at school.

To a certain extend, I guess, it's may also be a social problem in US society (and elsewhere, too). Academic achievement doesn't seem part of the male role image that boys are constantly told to assume.

This isn't just about black "urban" ghetto culture (though they're probably more affected by this) but it's a general trend. What are the generally accepted male role models in society? The rugged individual with a gun who protects his family and takes charge of things. The muscular action hero. The violent gangsta with tons of bling who gets to fuck every "ho" he wants. The guy who takes on a tough pose and projects violence and danger in order to gain "respect".

When it's constantly communicated to boys by the media, their peers and society in general that being a "real man" involves behaviour that is the direct opposite of sitting down with a book and doing well at school, then don't be surprised.

There is a similar debate in Germany. Here the numbers also seem to suggest that boys are falling behind but it doesn't seem to be as bad as in the US. For example, the linked site mentions that in the USA, boys are twice as likely as girls to have repeated at least one grade. In Germany it's about 1.5 times as likely.

Some people have suggested that the German school system might have become biased against boys. With classes getting bigger and the female:male ratio among teachers getting ridiculously slanted towards the female side, there may be less of an inclination to deal with the special needs of boys, who, let's face it, are more trouble than girls.

I'm not sure what has been posted on that site that indicates that girls are doing better than boys. Care to present a more specific link. Because the statistics of higher education certainly don't show this, particularly in the sciences where there appears to by systemic (though declining) discrimination against women.

I'm not sure what has been posted on that site that indicates that boys are doing better than girls. Care to present a more specific link. Because the statistics of higher education certainly don't show this, particularly in the sciences where there appears to by systemic (though declining) discrimination against women.

You said that you cannot see how boys are doing better than girls then state the opposite. What are you trying to say?

There isn't discrimination against women in science, there is systemic discrimination in their favor. That is a simple fact now for those in school. In the workplace the reason it doesn't pan out as well is because women have babies during the time academics pursue tenure and this puts them at a disadvantage competitively.

You said that you cannot see how boys are doing better than girls then state the opposite. What are you trying to say?
Typo, sorry, fixed.

There isn't discrimination against women in science, there is systemic discrimination in their favor. That is a simple fact now for those in school. In the workplace the reason it doesn't pan out as well is because women have babies during the time academics pursue tenure and this puts them at a disadvantage competitively.
Wow. Just wow. You have no clue as to the position of women in science, do you? Women are vastly outnumbered by men in the sciences in general, and no, I don't buy for one instant that child rearing has anything to do with that. As you move higher and higher in education, women systematically make up a smaller and smaller percentage of the population. By the time you get to professorships, there are very few left. See, for example, this paper:
ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/improving/docs/g_wo_etan_en_200101.pdf

Of particular interest are figures 2.4 and 2.5 (page 27 of the PDF) in the second chapter, which is dedicated to examining the status of women in science.

I'm not sure what has been posted on that site that indicates that girls are doing better than boys. Care to present a more specific link. Because the statistics of higher education certainly don't show this, particularly in the sciences where there appears to by systemic (though declining) discrimination against women.

From the site

• In 2004, only 43% of college undergraduates were men-a number that is expected to continue to decline as fewer men enter college.
  • In 2001, only 60% of male high school graduates were enrolled in college by October, compared to 64% of female graduates.
  • Once in college, males are more likely to withdraw from or leave school without completing their degree.
  • For every 100 women in America who earn a bachelor's degree, only 73 men complete the same degree.
  • Women who earn master's degrees outnumber men by more than 30%.

I don't think the site is talking about the higher strata of the academia and professorships... it's about education.

I think one of the problem is that most elementary schools are ruled by women, thus are designed by and for girls. I would like to see more male as elementary teachers.

Wow. Just wow. You have no clue as to the position of women in science, do you? Women are vastly outnumbered by men in the sciences in general, and no, I don't buy for one instant that child rearing has anything to do with that. As you move higher and higher in education, women systematically make up a smaller and smaller percentage of the population. By the time you get to professorships, there are very few left. See, for example, this paper:
ftp://ftp.cordis.europa.eu/pub/improving/docs/g_wo_etan_en_200101.pdf

Of particular interest are figures 2.4 and 2.5 (page 27 of the PDF) in the second chapter, which is dedicated to examining the status of women in science.

Did you read what I wrote? I have far more of a clue here than you think. And you are completely wrong when you claim discrimination.

edit:
Discrimination at the college level that is. In high school and below I have no clue. In college there are tons of programs aimed at getting women into science, and supporting them once there. They are the only discrimination is to give women more help than men which is undoubtedly what they do. As I said before the problem is childbirth comes usually in a PhD program or near the beginning of a career and that flubs things up.

Last edited by a moderator:
From the site

• In 2004, only 43% of college undergraduates were men-a number that is expected to continue to decline as fewer men enter college.
  • In 2001, only 60% of male high school graduates were enrolled in college by October, compared to 64% of female graduates.
  • Once in college, males are more likely to withdraw from or leave school without completing their degree.
  • For every 100 women in America who earn a bachelor's degree, only 73 men complete the same degree.
  • Women who earn master's degrees outnumber men by more than 30%.

I don't think the site is talking about the higher strata of the academia and professorships... it's about education.
Yes, well, in the US there's also a significant problem with our African-American population, within which the number of women in college vastly outnumber the men largely because a large portion of the men are in jail. If, after correcting for that issue, there's still a significant imbalance, maybe I might admit there's a gender problem. But, as it is, there's an obvious race issue that needs to be looked at.

Did you read what I wrote? I have far more of a clue here than you think. And you are completely wrong when you claim discrimination.

edit:
Discrimination at the college level that is. In high school and below I have no clue. In college there are tons of programs aimed at getting women into science, and supporting them once there. They are the only discrimination is to give women more help than men which is undoubtedly what they do. As I said before the problem is childbirth comes usually in a PhD program or near the beginning of a career and that flubs things up.
Yes, there are. These are aimed at leveling the playing field, and have been mildly successful at increasing the levels of women in the sciences. But these programs are not widespread, nor do they eliminate the discrimination that women experience in the sciences, for example:
http://www.physorg.com/news76695458.html

Here we see there is a 23% pay gap that cannot be explained by other factors (such as lack of senior-level positions).

Here we see there is a 23% pay gap that cannot be explained by other factors (such as lack of senior-level positions).
Try using some US data instead of brining stuff from Europe over and over. The fact is men are falling behind in the US and it isn't because African American men are under represented in comparison to African American women.

You said women were discriminated against, the fact is in universities in science and engineering they are discriminated for, given special opportunities. And these programs are widespread.

Yes they are still under represented, but a large part of that is the reason I already said.

Try using some US data instead of brining stuff from Europe over and over. The fact is men are falling behind in the US and it isn't because African American men are under represented in comparison to African American women.

You said women were discriminated against, the fact is in universities in science and engineering they are discriminated for, given special opportunities. And these programs are widespread.

Yes they are still under represented, but a large part of that is the reason I already said.
There isn't any substantive difference between the discrimination of women in science between Europe and the US. For example:
http://bst.sagepub.com/cgi/content/abstract/23/1/21
http://md1.csa.com/partners/viewrec...&recid=3985943&q=&uid=791626124&setcookie=yes

While you need an academic license to view the whole articles, the abstracts do show that pay discrimination in the sciences is quite apparent in the US. I challenge you to find any indication that women are actually better off than men in the sciences.

And no, pregnancy is not a significant issue here, as women are still paid significantly less for the exact same jobs, even when they do manage to obtain them.

Oh, for a bit more interesting stuff on science and gender discrimination, here's a really interesting blog post:
http://cosmicvariance.com/2006/10/24/meeting-your-expectations/

In it they found that women would obtain approximately half the score in a math test when presented with an essay that there were innate gender differences in math ability. Yes, there are many men in science that believe that women don't get into science because of lack of ability. Yes, it is a problem, because it harms women.

Also from the same blog:
http://cosmicvariance.com/2006/10/23/speaking-out/
...for a slightly more personal take on the problem of women in science.

Women are being "discriminated" against is quiet laughable. There tons of program out there that help women, but, non for Men. If anything Men are the one that's being discriminted against

Women are being "discriminated" against is quiet laughable. There tons of program out there that help women, but, non for Men. If anything Men are the one that's being discriminted against
Bullshit. The entire purpose of these programs is to help level the playing field. The only reason they exist at all is to do this. And they are only partially successful at doing so.

Men don't need the support groups because we are in the positions of power, and are (both consciously and unconsciously) continuing to better support other men (typically white men) than we do women (and members of other races).

Bullshit. The entire purpose of these programs is to help level the playing field. The only reason they exist at all is to do this. And they are only partially successful at doing so.

No.. it is for giving women more special benefits in my eye. If women claim that they care so much about equality, then they shouldn't need those program.

Men don't need the support groups because we are in the positions of power, and are (both consciously and unconsciously) continuing to better support other men (typically white men) than we do women (and members of other races).

Now that is just laughable...

Boys and Men are falling behind in school and colleges, and there aren't any kind of program to help them out. Men need to start focusing on helping young boys and Men.

Not trying to be rude but, it piss me off to no end that women nowadays still scream "discrimination", when they are actually treated better than Men in the US. Hell there is even a special law that protect women.

No.. it is for giving women more special benefits in my eye. If women claim that they care so much about equality, then they shouldn't need those program.
If there was equality, then they wouldn't have any use for them.

Now that is just laughable...

Boys and Men are falling behind in school and colleges, and there aren't any kind of program to help them out. Men need to start focusing on helping young boys and Men.

Not trying to be rude but, it piss me off to no end that women nowadays still scream "discrimination", when they are actually treated better than Men in the US. Hell there is even a special law that protect women.
But this is just plain false. Find me one reliable statistic that shows that women have it better. Just one. Something like, oh, income, or frequency of sexual assault or harassment, or attainment of senior-level positions.

And no, the statistic that women are doing better at the bachelor's level is completely uninteresting, at least until you can show that race is not the cause of this disparity.

There is absolutely no doubt that boys are falling behind.

There is also absolutely no doubt that men are still far ahead in science and engineering disciplines. I never disputed that.

I said in college, when you are going to school there are a cast array of programs specifically targeted to help women in science and engineering. They say usually that the goal is to have successful female faculty be role models more or less and give advice etc...

And yes that is discrimination Chanloth and in favor of women. Discrimination is not inherently evil people freak out when it is mentioned. The idea is to combat discrimination of one type with another type.

The first article is still looking at data that is 10 years old.
Did you actually read it or just google up some stuff?
Previous research by Ginther and Hayes (1999, 2001) showed that the majority of the gender salary gap in the humanities disappears when separate salary regressions are estimated for each academic rank. I estimate salary differences for each rank to examine whether the gender salary gap may be explained by differences in endowments captured by rank. The salary gap decreased from more than 17%in 1973 for the estimates that pool rank to a high of 9% for assistant professors. The gender salary gap for assistant professors falls to 5% by 1997. The salary decomposition shows a change in the proportion of the gap explained by endowments and coefficients over time. Prior to1985, differences in coefficients underlie the majority of the gap. Afterward, differences in endowments explain the gender salary differential.

So there is no discrimination according to that article except in science.

Further the pay discrimination went from 17% in 1973 to 5% in 1997.
For full professors it went from 20% to 15% so there is still a problem there at least in 1997. Unfortunately that pay discrimination is explained according to the article by differences in many other characteristics such as productivity and only 6% of that 15% is not explained according to the author by those other variables.

The second article sucks for your point. It is ending in 89? Great ...
The influence of gender on faculty salaries in the United States said:
A higher male-female earnings gap at the professor level relative to junior ranks suggests that relatively recent entrants in the academic labour market face a less discriminatory environment than did their predecessors.

And no, the statistic that women are doing better at the bachelor's level is completely uninteresting, at least until you can show that race is not the cause of this disparity.
Race is not the cause sorry if you doubt it for some reason, but you are wrong.

If there was equality, then they wouldn't have any use for them.

But this is just plain false. Find me one reliable statistic that shows that women have it better. Just one. Something like, oh, income, or frequency of sexual assault or harassment, or attainment of senior-level positions.

1. Equality ALREADY exist for women... Those program are simply to gives women easy pass..

As for your second question

-Mother always have full custody of the children even if she was a crack ****.
-Women serve less jail time than Men for the exact same crime.
-If a Man hit a woman (even out of self-defense) he is consider abusive.
-Lower physical requirement for women in police force and the military.
-Women can falsely excuse Men of rape and win.
-Male rape victim aren't being taken seriously.
-There is special law to protect women (VAWA) but none for Men.

And plus

Young women acrually make MORE money than Men nowadays

http://blogs.eweek.com/careers/content001/wages/young_women_earn_more_than_men_in_big_cities.html

Medical resreach focus more on female illness than Male

http://www.fightprostatecancer.org/...r_Statistics-Funding_for_a_Cure.pdf?docID=203

Just to name a few. There are many issue that Men face but are being ignore because the US focus far more on women issue.

So tell me, how are women being "discriminated against" again?

Last edited by a moderator:
Now for more actual articles on the issue ones that I even read.

Gender, Work and Organization. Vol. 10 No. 2 March 2003
Proves I was right on the issue of families.
Academic Careers and Gender Equity: Lessons Learned from MIT said:
Finally, at least in the United States, the tenure timetable, having to prove that you are this expert in the first seven years of the career, creates another difficult demand. All of this makes the ideal, the perfect academic someone who gives total priority to work and has no outside interests and responsibilities.

The latter is something the senior women faculty in science at MIT believe absolutely. They cannot conceive of any other way to be a first-rate scientist, which may explain why most of them are not married and have no children. And in some ways that may be the greatest inequity of all: the profession is set up in such a way that men academics routinely have families, while women, given current rules, find it much more difficult...

Oh noes 50-50 oh noes!!!!
In a study of biotech firms, for example, we found close to a fifty-fifty male/female division among the scientists (Carré and Rayman et al., 1999;Eaton, 1999). When we interviewed some of these employees, most of whom had been post-docs at a university and had expected to have an academic career, they told us that they preferred the biotech environment because there they could do their scientific work with proper support without having to fight for tenure, or to worry about where the next grant is coming from.

And though the men also reported this feeling, it came more often from the women. The pace, they said, was different and the focus was clearer, which made it easier to combine work with family....

Hence the rules and practices, both formal and informal, that currently exist in research universities, may sooner or later prevent them from recruiting the best available talent. It is particularly important, therefore, that the university presidents, at the meeting we had, set out as one of their goals that no faculty member should be disadvantaged by having a family. We need to model a better life for our students if we want to attract the best of them to the academy.
And families? No it must be some mistake.

Back