What are you playing now? [2007-2018]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still with Morrowind. Today I noticed the nice effect of the muffled sound of rain drops when you are under water. ^_^

Oh, and I just modded it (Overhaul 3). I already found this game beautiful, but now it looks much better.

Started Saints Row 2 again the other day and am REALLY enjoying it! Got tired of not being able to run games well, so I went back and found one that I like that runs great. It actually seems to run better than it has when my rig was much higher spec! :D

Playing Metro: 2033 Redux. Going to do Last Light redux next to get ready for Metro: Exodus.

Some things I noted. Metro: 2033 Redux is a lot easier than Metro: 2033. The game has been rebalanced so that you get more bullets (currency) and more ammunition for weapons. I can't say I like the change, but meh, at least I'll breeze though the game. Probably should do Ranger mode, but not sure I have time for that.

Secondly, for the first time ever I enabled hardware PhysX...and immediately turned it back off. The implementation is ridiculous. It was obviously put in to try to show the strengths of PhysX but it is so out of place. You get more debris when destroying things. Sounds good right? But when destroying glass bottles you end up with a floor littered with debris that looks more like colored rocks than colored glass. Additionally the combined debris from one glass bottle would be far larger than the bottle itself! And then not only that, it looks incredibly out of place when compared to the rest of the scene (this goes for anytime the "enhancements" from hardware PhysX are done in game).

Great game with nice graphical enhancements in the Redux version, horrible PhysX implementation that almost makes a mockery of the game.

Regards,
SB

Probably not the correct place to put this, but I did do a search first.

The HTC Vive is $699 for Amazon Prime Day ($100 discount) and the Oculus Rift is down to $400 with a $100 Amazon gift card. Seems like a great time for everybody to update their 'what are you playing now' with a bunch of VR games! :D

Probably not the correct place to put this, but I did do a search first.

The HTC Vive is $699 for Amazon Prime Day ($100 discount) and the Oculus Rift is down to $400 with a $100 Amazon gift card. Seems like a great time for everybody to update their 'what are you playing now' with a bunch of VR games! :D

Unfortunately for VR, after having used an Oculus Rift for a bit over 2 months, my current price limit for a VR headset would be in the 100-200 USD range. Any more than that and I don't see the value in it for me. 100 USD for the current tech and up to 200 USD if the tech improve significantly with regards to FOV and screen resolution. It really just isn't worth it for me. Yeah, it's neat and it's novel. But after not using it for ~3 months now (had to give it back to the friend that loaned it to me), I'm not sitting here wishing I could play any VR game.

Regards,
SB

Do you think that the lack of touch controllers and room scale for the rift factor into it or was it a lack of immersion?

For me it's just a combination of things. Motion sickness in many games and just a lack of compelling content. There are a lot of neat demo's and a lot of neat effects, but very little in the way of satisfying full game experiences.

To put it into perspective, my GPU budget is generally 400 USD or less, but I'll occasionally go over that. That enhances all of my games. And while the "bling" factor isn't as high as VR, it works with everything to offer a great gaming experience. The Oculus Rift, even at 400 USD, offers a very tiny fraction of the enjoyment that I get out of a GPU purchase. And the biggest reason I'd personally want one (movie watching) requires a much higher resolution screen.

As well, the current tech offers an FOV that is just not pleasant, IMO. I can see the 2 viewports overlapping with a very distinguished "black border" where one edge of a viewport overlaps with the viewport of the other eye. That is extremely distracting. It's likely the way my eyes work as others don't notice the effect as much, or at least not enough to comment on it like I have.

For those without my issues, VR can be a very compelling experience, as long as you're willing to pay a lot of money for a relatively limited experience.

Regards,
SB

I agree, that sounds like a combination of over immersion and lack of immersion.

Also, from what I've seen, VR is essentially full of mini-games or tech demos that offer maybe 20 minute long experiences at this point, certainly not full game experiences.

I haven't seen much about watching movies in VR other than software that makes it appear that you are in a theater making the screen huge. Is that what you mean? I certainly haven't heard of anything that would put you "in" the movie. Does that even exist?

Formula Truck 2013
It uses the Rfactor engine, but all I can hear is screeching tyres it drives me mad, annoying as hell

I'm playing nothing, absolutely nothing. My system has been getting wonkier and I just lost my mechanical keyboard to a coke spill and I'm back to my old Lycosa with the keys that don't work quite right.

It's been like this a few days, and I've been starting to have nightmares. Weird ones, where I'm irrationally angry and destructive and I wake up in horribly foul moods. I honestly think they're related, I just don't have my anger outlet anymore. :(

I haven't seen much about watching movies in VR other than software that makes it appear that you are in a theater making the screen huge.

Yes. I went into this in a lot more detail in the Rift, Vive, etc. thread when I first got to try out the Rift. Basically it does an extremely good job of making it seem like you are watching a movie on a very large screen, assuming that there are rendered "props" (like a theater scene or drive in scene, etc.) framing the "screen" in order to give it the proper sense of scale.

Unfortunately, the low resolution of the displays used combined with limited FOV (those black borders again) and large spaces between pixels (since everything is magnified when that close to your eyes) detracts from the experience.

When I first watched a movie, I was thinking I might jump in and buy one right away for movie watching as it was so novel and compelling that I didn't notice most of that stuff. But after watching a second and third movie, all of those things became an unavoidable distraction.

Regards,
SB

VR question from someone with zero experience:

How usable are these systems by folks in a wheelchair?

Are there games where standing or being able to turn one's body without using hands is impossible?

Considering taking the plunge but need to know the limitations for a paraplegic.

Depends on the game, the huge majority don't ask you to move around because the Occulus Rift can't do that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back