What are the raw performance specs of PSVita?

What did you try with Wipeout? It's native, though can drop dynamically when needed. This happens in the original Wipeout too, but more often here and with half the framerate it stands out more. And it has MSAA

Sub 360 levels of geometry sure, but sub Xbox1?

A few launch games are definitely rough though for sure. But closer to this gen launch titles than last gen, yes?

Final release patched wipeout loadtimes are pretty good.

Quoted for truth.
Not the xbox part, but the loading times.
I hated that the most about the PSVita.
The problem is probably the developers, and the development kits.
My guess is the devkit has a 30-40 megabyte per second load time.

Final hardware? 5-6 MB/second loading? Somebody should be fired for that (or even shot).
So what happens after the developers find out that loading a level not takes 7-8 seconds, but 50-60 seconds?
They ship the game... They did shave it down to 30-40 seconds eventually. But boy did I feel like a fool playing a game which was loading more than 30% of time

So why would you need 100's of MBs of textures on a 5 inch screen if you are going to drop the framerate to 30, and the resolution to (what feels like) 320*240 most of the time?
Imagine the game, but with razor sharp graphics.. 60 frames per second.. Loading within 10 seconds.
PSVitas would be flying off the shelves.

Sony should have put limits on loading times from the start.

I'm playing the HD and Fury DLC now. First race with oppenents after fresh start of game takes 24,6 seconds. Back to main menu 1 sec. Second race, time trial on different track: 15 secs. This holds up pretty well against PS3 games. I have a 16GB memcard (bigger means faster as was tested by Digital Foundry). Yes, I do agree the speed of the memory cards could and probably should have been faster (and cheaper), but these are not bad load times.

And resolution is native with AA most of the time. Worst case horizontal is halved as far as I know. The game still looks pretty fantastic, great lighting effects, bump mapping, shader effects etc. I also love that I got the DLC for free because I owned it on PS3, and that all my PS3 personal bests and friend laptimes for the DLC show up here too.

I'm playing the HD and Fury DLC now. First race with oppenents after fresh start of game takes 24,6 seconds. Back to main menu 1 sec. Second race, time trial on different track: 15 secs. This holds up pretty well against PS3 games. I have a 16GB memcard (bigger means faster as was tested by Digital Foundry). Yes, I do agree the speed of the memory cards could and probably should have been faster (and cheaper), but these are not bad load times.

And resolution is native with AA most of the time. Worst case horizontal is halved as far as I know. The game still looks pretty fantastic, great lighting effects, bump mapping, shader effects etc. I also love that I got the DLC for free because I owned it on PS3, and that all my PS3 personal bests and friend laptimes for the DLC show up here too.

I guess they were more careful with the texture budget in the HD and Fury DLC?
As I said, the developers as well as the devkits are to blame imo.
When they design another PSV Wipeout game, I am positive they will make sure that it has fast load times
I agree that the game looks amazing (even better than the PS3 version, the 2048 tracks; they are more dense and packed), but I rather sacrifice that for the framerate of the PS3 version.
I also remember the 1.03 path (maybe 1.02) improving the framerate and probably also lowering the need to halve screen resolution.

the devs said they ported the PS3 engine to the vita, maybe that is where the problem lies?
another possibility could be that the final vita system is lower specced (clocked) than the dev kits

Load times are often addressed very late in development.
Generally you don't develop with the same packed assets as the game ships with, usually you don't use the same media (i.e. it's streamed over the debug interface rather than being on the device).
Launch games had very compressed schedules.
I personally find the loading in Wipeout horrid, but I understand how it happened.
Most of the other titles did not have this issue, I don't remember loading being an issue in Uncharted or Gravity Daze.

No, I think Uncharted can be played through much like the PS3 versions. I think I've played through the last few hours without pause maybe seeing a load screen once for 2 seconds in total.

What did you try with Wipeout? It's native, though can drop dynamically when needed. This happens in the original Wipeout too, but more often here and with half the framerate it stands out more. And it has MSAA

Sub 360 levels of geometry sure, but sub Xbox1?

A few launch games are definitely rough though for sure. But closer to this gen launch titles than last gen, yes?

Final release patched wipeout loadtimes are pretty good.

It is the wipeout demo from PSN..i guess....it looked pretty 'blown up'..
Ryu and enemy ninja models are dreamcast levels imho....looked sharp and paper thin like the old days! :oops:

They still did a shit job. It's possible to scale back graphics without utterly destroying the look of your game. When porting a fighting game to a handheld, the characters ought to be the last thing you should mess with, not the first. The characters in MK on the Vita look worse than the characters in Soul Calibur on the PSP.

Am I seeing things? to me some of the screen shots look better on Vita.

In-game photo mode shots ... so a relatively useless comparison.

It does show that some of the assets on Vita use way less polygons (though cleverly mostly just on small round objects), but most things in favor of Vita are probably down to improved photo-mode algorithms than anything to do with the hardware.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6324/the-iphone-5-performance-preview

Iphone5 got pretty strong scores in graphics via AT tests....wonder how does PSVita compares?
We still dont know much about PSVita clocks and mem bandwidth?

iPhone 5 is comparable to iPad 3, based on your link.

This game was shown in realtime, in iPhone 5:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQDQywA42bQ
This game is native iPhone 5 resolution (which way above PSVita), I suspect the Vita is running a really low clockspeed and the memory bandwith looks severely lower as well.
Either that, or EA is a godlike developer and/or the iOS development kit is infinitely better than the PSVita tools.

We will probably never see a game like real racing 3 on PSVita, at least not with that framerate, resolution and detail.

Real Racing is incredibly simplistic. The Criterion developed Need For Speed this fall looks amazing and is the full open-world experience.

Back