What are the raw performance specs of PSVita?

Discussion in 'Console Technology' started by gongo, Jun 21, 2012.

1. Arwin

Arwin Now Officially a Top 10 Poster
    Moderator Legend

If I remember the PSP's MIPS ran 1-333Mhz or something like that,where initially it was limited to 222Mhz by the SDK (to preserve battery) but later 333Mhz was allowed as well.

2. Exophase

Veteran

Not much of a redesign would be needed to allow going to 444MHz instead. A couple node shrinks would definitely get them there, and they'd surely want that anyway.

3. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

Sony won't up clocks only for new models. All PSP's can run at 333MHz.

I think 444 mode (if it is indeed the upper clock) in Vita is available without Wi-Fi working (some games disable it for extra performance).

4. ToTTenTranz

Legend Veteran Subscriber

Is there a chance that during web browsing the Vita allows a single core to clock towards 888MHz, for example?
    I just find it very weird that Javascript is running unbelievably fast on a 444MHz Cortex A9.

5. Shoujoboy

Newcomer

Not sure if I should bump this old thread but how close is Vita's performance to that of Ps3/360/Wuu ?
    I'm looking at titles like Resistance/Uncharted/Killzone and wondering am I wrong for being impressed ?

6. Exophase

Veteran

CPU-wise 4x444MHz Cortex-A9 (3x that are really useful for games) is way behind all three of those. The only place where it really picks up at all is in integer SIMD vs Wii U and even in tasks where that makes a huge difference it's still probably not enough to overcome the massive clock delta.

I still find the CPU revelation shocking but with everything said it's even harder to believe that the people who found it got it wrong.

GPU-wise it's also quite a bit behind any of those three, although maybe not as far behind. It's hard to say exactly.

Shoujoboy likes this.
  7. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

so vita is a slow, battery consuming, no game, game device :(

btw im still on old firmware because i keep WAITING for proper "no fuzz" homebrew. But it never came. the closest one is Rejuevenate.

Luckily, Sony still allow their Activation Server to be reached :) so all my PS Plus game when expire, still can re-activate with WiFi, despite using very old FW

Shoujoboy likes this.
  8. Exophase

Veteran

Outside of the "no game" part that's pretty much like 3DS, only that has significantly worse CPU and GPU power while not having significantly better battery life (at least if we're talking about the original one).

9. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

3DS hardware is totally sux. It even dont have proper standby low power mode so it drains battery very quick comared to vita in standby

10. Globalisateur

Globalisateur Globby
    Veteran Regular Subscriber

Doesn't need one. Specs are already low enough. :mrgreen:

bunge, Lalaland and orangpelupa like this.
  11. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

It needs one. Drains battery in 2 days without game running. PSP could survive a month.

orangpelupa likes this.
  12. liolio

liolio Aquoiboniste
    Legend

For real? My wife DS lite lasts forever I'm a bit surprised

13. orangpelupa

Legend Veteran

@liolio DS Lite is crazy power efficient. not su much with 3DS. battery eater :(

liolio likes this.
  14. Rurouni

Veteran

For comparison, Samsung released 2 SoCs in 2011 with an actual product (PSV released at Dec 2011 in Japan), Exynos 4210 and 4212. Both are dual core A9 with Mali 400MP4, CPU/GPU clock for 4210 is 1.2-1.4GHz/266MHz and 4212 is 1.5GHz/400MHz. RAM is 6.4GB/s. How is that compare to PSV SoC?

15. bgroovy

Regular Newcomer

The biggest difference between PS Vita and phones is the Vita is designed for continuous, high demand usage. Those phone chips spend 99% of their time clocked well below their max.

Rikimaru and Lalaland like this.
  16. Rurouni

Veteran

I believe performance wise, even with the lower clock, PSV was still one of the fastest mobile SoC that came out at that time frame. They probably could came out with a faster SoC, but the power consumption wouldn't be pretty. Probably the decision to go with 4 cores was more about saving power, thus 4 lower clocked cores.

Lalaland and Grall like this.
  17. Gitaroo

Veteran

doesn't dedicated vram gives Vita major advantage in bandwidth over every other mobile that came out at the time?

18. Rurouni

Veteran

Is there a confirmation on how fast the RAM and VRAM on PSV? The VRAM is definitely much faster vs other mobile hardware at that time, but by how much?

bgroovy likes this.
  19. Rikimaru

Veteran Newcomer

Some analysis.
    webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xwFhI8NyfHwJ:ww3.chipworks.com/cn/technical-competitive-analysis/resources/blog/sonys-ps-vita-uses-chip-on-chip-sip-3d-but-not-3d/+&cd=1

bunge likes this.
  20. Shoujoboy

Newcomer