What are the raw performance specs of PSVita?

11v4l1l.jpg

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/667557681670942721
This post spawned my question for anyone who was/is curious

Tony Rodriguez is the developer behind Binding Isaac
its as if the Vita is as powerful as a PS3?I doubt. Unless he is referring to perceived performance on screen

Anyone who actually played games on the Vita will probably agree it has been and still often is superior for gaming just for providing low lag, great controls and stable frame rates. And the graphics often hold up quite well, though there have been a few bad ports.

I see people here focusing and lamenting about the "weak" CPU.

But in several interviews I read about Vita developers mainly complained about a weak GPU. One dev even comparatively praised the multicore CPU that were used to alleviate the GPU from some graphic tasks.

And often the situation is well transcribed in games in my experience. Vita has an open world game with physics and destruction (Gravity rush), it has linear beautiful games with identical gameplay than on console (Uncharted), it has FPS with similar functionality than on consoles (Killzone), even a better FPS game overall than the console version :runaway: , so they say.

So CPU is definitely OK but all those 3 games unfortunately run upscaled or with a dynamic res like killzone pointing to a GPU bottleneck, not CPU.

Yes, playing LBP Vita again today I also think it is primarily the GPU that is the bottleneck. There will be differences per game, but for all the games that couldn't manage native res, lack of GPU power to drive 3D graphics at that resolution must have been a part of it.

11v4l1l.jpg

https://twitter.com/tyronerodriguez/status/667557681670942721
This post spawned my question for anyone who was/is curious

Tony Rodriguez is the developer behind Binding Isaac

From his perspective, that may not be a false statement. He may feel that the chasm between what he can achieve on Vita isn't all that different from the Wii U. The Vita has the benefit of less pixels to render, so there is some advantage there. Its all in perspective. You could have a developer who feels the power difference between the X1 and PS4 is huge, and others who feel they are very similar. I remember FuzzyWuzzyGames telling me that they got a huge performance boost when moving Armillo from 360 to Wii U. On 360 they were becoming fill rate bound, and on Wii U they were adding effects without finding the ceiling. Consoles have always had strengths and weaknesses, one consoles strength could be the others weakness. If your game plays into a particular strength on one console, that may not transfer well onto another.

attention whore /click bait... that is a rough statement but imho that is what it is. The PS360 and Wii U are close and whereas the WiiU should have been head and shoulder above both it still has it high points (RAM, quite possibly better gpu perfs even though slightly) yet the guy decided to bash NIntendo. OK I do get that MSFT and Sony both have new consoles but the statement is either grossly inaccurate or vague depending on how forgiving with the guy you are.

Last edited:
What does "much more" really mean?: A thousand times more powerful? 10 times more powerful? 1.41 times more powerful?

Except conceding that Wii U is indeed more powerful than Vita, that tweet doesn't really mean much.

Back