We sez: "A look inside the European PS3"

StefanS

meandering Velosoph
Veteran
We had little look inside the guts of the Euro PS3 and found some small interesting tid-bits.

http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/151

Finally the newly revised Playstation 3 model has reached the shores of Europe, but the revision turned out very differently from what everyone expected. When Sony first announced its plans to cut the Emotion Engine (EE) from European units, everyone expected that the Graphics Synthesizer (GS) would be connected to PS3’s southbridge with an eye towards eventual integration of the two components. However, this is not the case.

As can be seen from the main board pictures (New Mainboard pictures from HW Upgrade, Old Mainboard pictures from Watch Impress), the GS is not connected to the southbridge, but placed between the Reality Synthesizer (RSX) and its connections to the HDMI transmitter by Silicon Image and a Sony in house chip called CXM*02*R. As expected, the 32 MB RD RAM chips, legacy of the PS2, have been removed as well. This new setup enabled Sony to cut the CXD9208GP chip, which previously connected the EE+GS chip to the CXM*02*R and the RSX. It still remains unclear whether RSX’s changed serial numbers (from CXD2971GB to CXD2971DGB) are caused by these changes. Moreover, the purpose of the CXM*02*R chip is still unknown.

On the other hand, the southbridge has received a change as well – the serial numbers have changed from CXD2973GB to CXD2979GB. Judging from the size of its heat spreader, we can reliably assume that the southbridge has in fact been transitioned to a 65nm fabrication process. The size has decreased by about 69%. Unfortunately, it is still unknown if the southbridge is in fact the rumoured Toshiba Super Companion Chip.

So all in all, Sony has lowered its cost by removal of the EE, the RD RAM chips and the CXD9208GP chip. Moreover, the southbridge seems to have been moved to a smaller process as well. The new placement of the GS also seems to indicate that it will be integrated into RSX rather than the southbridge in the future.

"One MILLION dollars!" :p

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

How much money did they save?

It looks like the EE/GS they were using was a custom one (based on the info that came out during the initial SW BC announcement). Now they're using another custom solution. I think its going to be pretty hard to estimate the savings. Though the memory might be easier to approximate.

Someone should rip apart the BR drive too. That's were potentially big cost savings could have been made.

The optical block was already significantly cost-reduced vs. stand alone players... I think any cost savings coming from there will mainly come component costs naturally reducing.

Stefan Salzl said:
The new placement of the GS also seems to indicate that it will be integrated into RSX rather than the southbridge in the future.
I came to the same conclusion as well when studying the PCB.
However, it strikes me as a little bit odd if they plan to move the complete RSX to an EDRAM process just for 4 lousy MB of EDRAM used solely for BC. Could there be more to this?

Another observation I made was that some lines from the RSX to some of the video output components have been re-routed via the "new" GS. That is likely just a mean to help reduce the number of layers of the PCB. So if someone counted the layers they would likely find that the number has been reduced.

Tried to match the size of the two example images and ended up with this. Save and flip between in your favorite image program.

What might the small-ish square ICs top and bottom on leftmost side on Euro side do?

Actually now that I look closer they seem to be in the exact samw position on US/Japan PS3 also.

And what are those plastic/metallic connector looking things doing that sit top and bottom right side on the PCB? Are the lower metallic one USB ports maybe? If so what is the top plastic one?
Peqace.

What might the small-ish square ICs top and bottom on leftmost side on Euro side do?

It's the CXM*02*R. As said in the article previously the connection to the EE+GS ran through there in combination with the other chip mentioned. Nothing specific is known / confirmed atm.

So neither f them are the PS2 I/O and sound processors then?

Wyhat might the PS2 GPU connect to RSX through? Maybe the Nvidia SLI bridge conneciton?
Peace.

My hunch, GS will never be integrated into RSX. It'll be cut off sometimes down the road, when BC is no longer important.

But it really shows the level of planning that went into the design of PS3. Everything seem to be tacked on.

RSX was never a good match for the functions that it needs to perform for PS3. It couldn't even replace GS for BC, requires seperate HDMI chip. They say RSX was design for PS3, yeah right. Its probably the reason why PS3 is $600.

RSX was never a good match for the functions that it needs to perform for PS3. It couldn't even replace GS for BC, requires seperate HDMI chip. They say RSX was design for PS3, yeah right. Its probably the reason why PS3 is $600.

Is there HDMI in any graphics chip? And you may not have noticed but the HDMI Chip in the PS3 is a 1.3, so new it was still warm when it was mounted on the motherboard. There is no way in hell it could have been integrated into the RSX chip. So what your saying there just isn´t a valid argument, try something else.

Btw. the PS3 is 500 dollars.

My hunch, GS will never be integrated into RSX. It'll be cut off sometimes down the road, when BC is no longer important.

Do you mean dropped completely or just software emulation? Because as far as soft emulating the GS is concerned, the 4MB eDRAM seem to be the main cause for keeping the GS (low latency and high BW), at least that's what Goto said in his last article.

Is there any benefit of CELL or RSX accessing the 4MB of eDRAM other than backwards compatibility like how the ARAM in GC could used to store a game's executable?

eurjapxu8.jpg

The original board was "clean" looking, but the Euro version is even nicer.

With a bit of rearranging I'm sure they could've shrunk the box too, but I guess there is little point at this stage. Better to wait until a "massive" reduction is possible.

Back