Wang tiles for semi-stochastic FSAA.

bloodbob

Trollipop
Veteran
Okay since I can remeber hearing rumours about the next gen graphics card having stochastic AA for about the last bazillion years although we have had some steps towards it such as ATI's non order grid FSAA sampling that I thought we might have some intermediate semi-stochasitc filter before we get the full hog. So I was wondering if using wang tiles might be a solution of how to implement semi-stochastic FSAA because if we had a set of tiles with pre-computed poisson distrubted sampling points and select the tiles in atleast realitvely unordered manner we might get a good result and reduce the over head of trying to generate the samples points at every pixel.

What do you think is it fessible or would having a look up table in hardware be just as expensive?

You could have every sample independent, but in HW (where you are probably testing quite a number of pixels/samples simultaneously) it'd be much cheaper if there are some repeating constant patterns.

The other problem is that if there are only a few samples per pixel and you have something like a horizontal edge, then when those sample positions are different for each pixel, the edge can look a bit rough.

Back