Vivendi and Activision merge to form Activision Blizzard

Activision has COD4 at 1.5 million X360 + .44 million PS3; GH3 1 million on the PS2 and .42 million on the Wii. Combined with WoW they're going to dominate all the important platforms, all they need is a good game on the Wii.

Indeed it's a fairly successful 4th quarter for them. They might have gotten a better deal out of the merger if they'd waited until q1/q2 2008.

While consoles may be more limiting on a technical level, PC games are more limited in terms of budget and scope.

So pick your trade off.

The console market offers FAR more potential for profits, which equals bigger development teams, higher quality assets, cinematography, acting, soundtracks and production values.

PC offers better GFX, better control...and not much else.

I would think that any game is limited by its budget - this isn't unique to PC games. In the context of PC games written by Blizzard, the budget is substantial because Blizzard has past hits supplying capital to work with. PC games written by other companies may have to fit in smaller budgets.. and I don't see why this situation would be any different in the console market (esp considering the $10/copy you have to pay to the platform holder if you are an independent developer).

Also, "potential" for profits is well and good, but "actual" profits are what matter, because "actual" profits will affect the budget for your next game.

and I don't see why this situation would be any different in the console market (esp considering the $10/copy you have to pay to the platform holder if you are an independent developer).

Easy..

Console developers (including even small indies) have more scope for higher sales due to the wider demographics & greater range of publishing houses willing to invest more in quality IP with the potential to sell..

The problem with the PC market is that your consumer base is limited & you have alot less publishers in the field who are willing to spend money on non-established development houses to create titles for the market..

Back