Vista x64 Usage Explodes

what was the price? here it's way too much expensive. 85 to 100€ for home basic OEM, and 200€ for home basic retail.

what was the price? here it's way too much expensive. 85 to 100€ for home basic OEM, and 200€ for home basic retail.

Christ on a pogo stick. I paid around 130 US for my OEM copy of Home Premium.

I was under the impression Europe actually got reasonable discounts when buying PC stuff online. Instead, you get knocked down to US retail level. :(

I could only get vista ultimate x32 at the time. Now I cam kind of annoyed b/c I have 4gb of ram and cannot use it.

My laptop though has x64 vista, but only 3 GB ram...

Ah well the vagaries of life.

I believe this only applies to retail copies. SI/OEM copies are specific.

Yep which sucks. Supposedly I can use PAE to get 4gb ram via
BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable
but it did not work including when I hit the switch in bios the ram seen in task manager actually went down...

Supposedly you actually can transfer that OEM key to 64bit copy aswell, at least reports say that the same OEM key works for both 32- and 64bit versions as long as it's the "same version" (home premium / home premium, ultimate / ultimate etc)

edit:
Of course it only works on one copy at once, but this should be clear to everyone anyway

It is a student edition. Maybe it would work, but I do not feel that is likely. My new institution has vista 32 as well. I find it really annoying, but not annoying enough to splurge for the retail version. It just isn't worth that kind of expenditure to me.

I thought if you bought the copy of Vista Ultimate it had both the 32 and 64 bit versions in it Sxotty?

Just a note to this: it is only Ultimate that has both versions in the box. Other retail versions only ship with the 32-bit in the box and you have to pay about ~$13 to send off for the 64-bit version of the disk.

I got burnt by this a little recently, as having bought Ultimate and seeing both in the box I though all retail would have both. When I recently built my wife a new little PC and went and got a copy of Vista Premium it wasn't until I got back and opened it that I found there was no 64-bit version there.

Fortunatly in this case, rather then springing for the 64-bit version for Premium I could actually just install the 'Premium' level install from the the Ultimate disk and then use the license key from the copy of premium I bought.

Well, I'd think if I had a valid key that I acquired lawfully I'd feel no compunction at all about dl'ing a 64-bit version from anywhere I could find it.

I've been running Vista 64 at home for some time now and for comparison I ran it against Vista 32 at work. Both had 4GB of RAM but clearly the 32 machines was limited to 3.2gb. Long story short, the 64bit machine simply performed a lot better. I can open up multiple apps, do this or that and there's no protest. Things work. The machine at work would start to run out of steam after a bit and it had that XP sluggishness to it. Once I upgraded the 32bit machine to 64bit I ran like the the work machine. I say, go 64 without a doubt it can.

With XP, I used to somewhat obssess over RAM usage. Now I don't care how much RAM vista is using up or where. All I know is, my computer runs fast along with all of my apps. Oh and Itunes sucks regardless of what you're using.....

Well, I'd think if I had a valid key that I acquired lawfully I'd feel no compunction at all about dl'ing a 64-bit version from anywhere I could find it.

I wonder now that you mention it. Is there a way to see if your key is valid for x64 edition? I mean if it isn't I don't want to start the install process for nothing.

I wonder now that you mention it. Is there a way to see if your key is valid for x64 edition? I mean if it isn't I don't want to start the install process for nothing.

Pretty much the only way is testing it, however I havevn't heard anyone from having any problems using same key on 32- and 64bit versions of the same edition of Windows, OEM or not

Yep which sucks. Supposedly I can use PAE to get 4gb ram via
BCDEdit /set PAE forceenable
but it did not work including when I hit the switch in bios the ram seen in task manager actually went down...

The PAE mode in Windows XP was supposed to be able to use more than 4GB memory. It still works that way in Windows XP SP1. However, when DEP was introduced in SP2, which means PAE is now mandatory when DEP is enabled (the "NX" bit is only available when using PAE's larger page table entries), so in SP2 with DEP enabled, PAE is always enabled no matter what. Unfortunately, many existing drivers are not compatible with this behavior (many drivers "think" PAE should only be enabled when there's more than 4GB memory). In order to fix this problem, PAE in SP2 is made to be able to address up to 4GB memory only, just as in normal 32 bits modes. Vista 32 bits version works this way, too.

How does limiting addressing to 4GB in PAE mode help with that :?:

It's a bit complex, but basically the most compatibility problem is about DMA, because many 32 bits devices are unable to perform DMA in 64 bits addresses. The new HAL in SP2 only recognize memory under 4GB to force all possible DMA transactions are in 32 bits range.

In Windows 2000 Server which supports PAE with larger than 4GB memory, they use a double buffer technique to map DMA transactions for 32 bits devices. Basically, the device DMA to a 32 bits address and the kernel copies it to the correct 64 bits address in the memory.

Back