Vista Install...

Well, I can see that it should be nice 'n easy, however the 64-bit install apparently wants to barf all over my hardware configuration for some reason, which has had rather annoying ramifications.

So, I go to run the setup and each time it gets to the end of the intitial "copying files" part the install decides to BSOD on me. This lead me to spend the night a.) trying to find and create some DOS boot device to upgrade the BIOS of the 955X motherboard (I managed to figure out out to make a USB Floppy drive detect and boot in the end - so I learned something new and thats certainly easier than plugging an internal floppy drive back in), and then b.) toggling most of the BIOS settings to see what the install isn't liking.

Seemingly it appeared that the install doesn't like my drive setup - changing the southbrigde SATA support from "Enchanced IDE" mode appeared to make some difference. Finally, the setup now gets into the the actual seup element. So, I type on my locale settings, then the licence key and its all happy and goes to the drive setup area. Here, I want to repartition my drives, which means formatting over the old Windows install - all done OK, drives partitioned as wanted, formatted and the Vista install carries on. It says that its doing the actual file copy so I go downstairs and hack some Marvel baddies on the XBOX while it runs. So, I go to check on it later and, sure enough, BSOD.

Now I go to install again, and it gets to the drive selection, however this time the "Next" button is greyed. Oh, joy. Its an upgrade license (even though its a Vista Ultimate upgrade) and because I reparitioned and formatted the drives from the previous setup attempt it can't see a valid XP license in order for it to Install!

So, now I have to go back, install XP (and probably phone up to get that validated) and then go back and try the Vista install again in the hope that the 64-bit install may actually decide to work!
Ok, would this be a bad time to remind you that I told you to go 32-bit because of all the problems with 64? I wouldn't, 'cept I NEVER get to tell you "I told you so.".... :p

Reactions: Geo
I've read that the 64-bit version actually has extra security features, but less software compatability. I can't find the link anymore, but I remember it was linked from hardocp. I suppose it's a trade-off to think about.

Maybe that's, less software compatibility, ergo, "extra security features." Marketing at its best! :p

Thanks for linking to those articles Scott.

Although dicking around with the SATA config appeared to have made some difference, I actually had half a suspicion that I may have a RAM problem squirreled away somewhere. This PC has previously had install of the one of the earlier 64-bit builds that I used to test on - although I didn't use it freqently, it did work, however it appears that I accidentally booted into that partition again (before wiping them) and I seem to recall that BSOD'ed as well.

I'm wondering RAM issue somewhere that the 32-bit OS itself doesn't use and doesn't frequently get hit - the fact that the 64-bit OS will load anywhere into memory may mean that it is hitting it and causing the BSOD. I'll have to borrow some RAM from the lab tonight and see if that makes any difference on the install.

As for using 64-bit, I'm of the opinion that seeing as the hardware supports it, I may as well use it - yes, I'll likely loose the X-Fi for a while, but then the PC hasn't gamed since the 360 was released, so that side of things isn't a primary driver. Given that MS have now come out of the gate with a 64-bit OS at the same time as the 32-bit (rather than XP which came out a long time after, with only limited support) I figure device driver developers will increase their support. With 64-bit CPU support and the extra security of the 64-bit OS I believe there is going to be a lot of pressure from OEM's on device driver suppliers, who themselves will be getting a demand from businesses to run the 64-bit version, to increase the support of the 64-bit version. Ultimately, this is where people will go.

Oh, and not even this "Vista Upgrade Decision" flow chart would have helped me out! :p

Dave use a technet/msdn cd key and do a clean install.

I dicked with an upgrade for about 30seconds before giving up and doing that. All of a sudden the install went great.

Somewhat on/off topic, this retail release of Vista seems even faster and more polished than the RTM of a few months ago.

Somewhat on/off topic, this retail release of Vista seems even faster and more polished than the RTM of a few months ago.

Shouldn't they be identical? RTM = Release To Manufacturing? As in the RTM version is what was manufactured to produce the retail release of Vista?

I was wondering that myself. Is 2600 (which was RTM for the Nov 30 mass license customers) not the same build as is on the Retail launch discs?

Well, I'm still no closer to root causing the issue with the 64-bit version. It appears not to be memory, as I went down to one stick that I borrowed, and nothing crops up there. I've borrowed a Presler CPU and a different HD to do some further experimentation on.

However, the 32-bit version is currently up and running rather peachily - only one installed hassle, but that appears to be related to a dead video card. Overall I'm rather impressed with the performance of the OS - it feels very responsive.

Well, I'm still no closer to root causing the issue with the 64-bit version. It appears not to be memory, as I went down to one stick that I borrowed, and nothing crops up there. I've borrowed a Presler CPU and a different HD to do some further experimentation on.

However, the 32-bit version is currently up and running rather peachily - only one installed hassle, but that appears to be related to a dead video card. Overall I'm rather impressed with the performance of the OS - it feels very responsive.

Try gaming quake 4 on it then :p
/hide

Done 1 64 bit vista install, half the software (like PS3 GCC and Alienbrain) I use at work didn't work so killed it.

Done 2 32 bit vista installs at home, both been almost perfect (part from hunting down a couple of drivers and on one machine the installer hung a few time but the machine is fine once it was installed).

I've only been goofing around with Vista Ultimate 32bit, but I really must say I'm impressed at how smooth everything has been for me.

Hell, even my TV looks/works better in Vista! :oops:

I'm almost tempted to give M$ some kudos for this one, 'cept I think I'll just wait for the other shoe to drop a bit longer.....

Vista
Ultimate x64
smooth?

yeah, on Conroe + 2GB ram it IS smooth. Even VMware 6.0 beta works fine :D

with 1GB on dual P4@3.0 its painfully slower than XP with full amount of "things" installed

Aero is boring, all this transparency sux imho.
Maybe I'm getting too old :p , gimme cmd ... ouch its not run with admin right now, gaddammiitttt

My Vista install was the smoothest reformatting experience ever. I frantically added a floppy to feed Vista my raid drivers on install, only to be greeted with the luxury of pulling the drivers off of basically any media possible, including USB drives. Oh well, lol. Anyway I've been running it for 2-3 days now with no problems whatsoever.

It's gorgeous on my watercooled Core2Duo@3.8GHz, nv7900GTO@700MHz core, 2 gigs ram, and twin RaptorX raid-0. I did notice a slight gaming performance drop with Aero enabled, but I'm hoping a shiny new R600 will ease that pain.

Aero add's more then gimmicky transparency effects. The mouseover taskbar previews are indispensable, and the alt tab window rendering in real time is really, really handy. I can literally have WoW playing in windowed mode, while browsing b3d, and use flip3d to swap them at will. During this procedure you can see WoW still playing/rendering in real-time, along with whatever other crap I have running. It's seriously impressive.

The last build of Vista I ran was beta 2, admittedly ancient, but this is like a whole new OS.

Dave have you tried this yet?
Its the disk utilities for intel south bridge for floppy disk. Its has windows Vista ultimate 64bit support in it.
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scr...64-bit+version&lang=eng&strOSs=162&submit=Go!

Hope this helps.

Back