Vista Install...

Really? I was playing around with it a bit yesterday and it was all easy-breezy for me.

Seriously, fresh install in about a half hour and after a night of playing/tweaking I've actually gotten it pretty much fleshed-out/customized/up to speed. :)

Easiest OS upgrade for me I can recall. Only thing goofing with me is I can't find any Vista drivers for the 550. :(

Well, I can see that it should be nice 'n easy, however the 64-bit install apparently wants to barf all over my hardware configuration for some reason, which has had rather annoying ramifications.

So, I go to run the setup and each time it gets to the end of the intitial "copying files" part the install decides to BSOD on me. This lead me to spend the night a.) trying to find and create some DOS boot device to upgrade the BIOS of the 955X motherboard (I managed to figure out out to make a USB Floppy drive detect and boot in the end - so I learned something new and thats certainly easier than plugging an internal floppy drive back in), and then b.) toggling most of the BIOS settings to see what the install isn't liking.

Seemingly it appeared that the install doesn't like my drive setup - changing the southbrigde SATA support from "Enchanced IDE" mode appeared to make some difference. Finally, the setup now gets into the the actual seup element. So, I type on my locale settings, then the licence key and its all happy and goes to the drive setup area. Here, I want to repartition my drives, which means formatting over the old Windows install - all done OK, drives partitioned as wanted, formatted and the Vista install carries on. It says that its doing the actual file copy so I go downstairs and hack some Marvel baddies on the XBOX while it runs. So, I go to check on it later and, sure enough, BSOD.

Now I go to install again, and it gets to the drive selection, however this time the "Next" button is greyed. Oh, joy. Its an upgrade license (even though its a Vista Ultimate upgrade) and because I reparitioned and formatted the drives from the previous setup attempt it can't see a valid XP license in order for it to Install!

So, now I have to go back, install XP (and probably phone up to get that validated) and then go back and try the Vista install again in the hope that the 64-bit install may actually decide to work!

Grrrr. Just Grrrrr.

You upgrading or doing a clean install? I've done dozens of clean installs pretty painlessly. Upgrades OTOH... (Of course Vista doesn't get amusing until you get around to actually using it (especially with apps that aren't quite "Vista Ready"))...

From what I've heard, you don't need to have XP on your machine at all, but you can also just insert a valid XP CD. Just what I heard, but worth trying maybe.

From what I've heard, you don't need to have XP on your machine at all, but you can also just insert a valid XP CD. Just what I heard, but worth trying maybe.

IIRC, that was true for Win2K (and probably WinXP), but it seems to be different now...

Let's see...working, stable, dialed-in XP rig, vs. potentially hours expended (along with requisite cusswords) upgrading only to play with non-Vista-friendly apps thereafter and, in exchange, snazzier GUI, minor improvements and DX10.

I'm thinking Vista SP1 sounds good. :)

Let's see...working, stable, dialed-in XP rig, vs. potentially hours expended (along with requisite cusswords) upgrading only to play with non-Vista-friendly apps thereafter and, in exchange, snazzier GUI, minor improvements and DX10.

I'm thinking Vista SP1 sounds good. :)

"For the love of the game!" :smile:

Yeah i'm also battling withing myself... I really wouldn't want my new laptop to disallow me to do some things that i do every day at the moment, and that includes bittorrent and emule downloads... of perfectly legal files of course...

ouch Dave. Did you ever try any of the Betas with that PC?

Ouch. Glad I'm waiting a long time to upgrade.

What's the point of the 64 bit edition at this time? I assume more driver hassles, less compatibility for some software, but what do you get in return? Speed?

What's the point of the 64 bit edition at this time? I assume more driver hassles, less compatibility for some software, but what do you get in return? Speed?

Ooodles of RAM support, for one. 32-bit Windows addressing tops out at 2.5GB or somesuch.

Ooodles of RAM support, for one. 32-bit Windows addressing tops out at 2.5GB or somesuch.

Quite contrary on the memory front...

XP/32 has a total physical and virtual address cap of 4GB, which typically means you're going to get ~3.5Gb of useable ram with a modern video card.

However, Server 2003/32 has a total physical limit of either 8, 32 or 128GB depending on the flavor, and a virtual address cap of ~1Tb last I recall. Still a 32 bit OS, but memory is no longer the issue. I wrote a pretty big explanation of this in a different thread that I'm now gonna go find and link here...

Edit: Linkatude: http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/showthread.php?p=912979#post912979

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, I can see that it should be nice 'n easy, however the 64-bit install apparently wants to barf all over my hardware configuration for some reason, which has had rather annoying ramifications.

So, I go to run the setup and each time it gets to the end of the intitial "copying files" part the install decides to BSOD on me. This lead me to spend the night a.) trying to find and create some DOS boot device to upgrade the BIOS of the 955X motherboard (I managed to figure out out to make a USB Floppy drive detect and boot in the end - so I learned something new and thats certainly easier than plugging an internal floppy drive back in), and then b.) toggling most of the BIOS settings to see what the install isn't liking.

Seemingly it appeared that the install doesn't like my drive setup - changing the southbrigde SATA support from "Enchanced IDE" mode appeared to make some difference. Finally, the setup now gets into the the actual seup element. So, I type on my locale settings, then the licence key and its all happy and goes to the drive setup area. Here, I want to repartition my drives, which means formatting over the old Windows install - all done OK, drives partitioned as wanted, formatted and the Vista install carries on. It says that its doing the actual file copy so I go downstairs and hack some Marvel baddies on the XBOX while it runs. So, I go to check on it later and, sure enough, BSOD.

Now I go to install again, and it gets to the drive selection, however this time the "Next" button is greyed. Oh, joy. Its an upgrade license (even though its a Vista Ultimate upgrade) and because I reparitioned and formatted the drives from the previous setup attempt it can't see a valid XP license in order for it to Install!

So, now I have to go back, install XP (and probably phone up to get that validated) and then go back and try the Vista install again in the hope that the 64-bit install may actually decide to work!

Looks like MS haven't quite worked around the install disk doesn't have a working drive controller driver problem.

I was really impressed with the Vista insall, having recently fought through a couple od XP installs from discs that didn't include the service packs and definitely didn't support my drive hardware. But I haven't tried to upgrade yet.

I've read that the 64-bit version actually has extra security features, but less software compatability. I can't find the link anymore, but I remember it was linked from hardocp. I suppose it's a trade-off to think about.

Back