Virtua Tennis 3: PS3 version a little better (IGN)

I expect the differences between Xenos and RSX to matter in XB360>>PS3 ports where the features of Xenos are used effectively and RSX hasn't got those features, but going the other way round what has RSX got that Xenos hasn't that makes porting assets hard so that they'd be downgraded?

Why would anyone need to port from 360 to PS3? Or PS3 to 360?

High-quality multiplatform games have their own devteams for both versions. Even EA said 360 <-> PS3 does not give good results.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anyone need to port from 360 to PS3? Or PS3 to 360?

High-quality multiplatform games have their own devteams for both versions. Even EA said 360 <-> PS3 does not give good results.
Maybe that's how it'll be this time, unlike past consoles where a game is released on one platform and at a later date ported to another one. In context of this thread though, I don't understand the theory that writing for GF6800 in the arcade board means better graphics on the GF7xxx in PS3 than on Xenos, which is a port from arcade to console where one console is much similar (thus it's a bit like a port from PS3 to XB360). What can a GF 6800 or 7xxx do that Xenos can't?

According to this guy, Blu Ray is the differentiator. (Assuming the sports game mentioned is Virtua Tennis)
http://forums.modojo.com/showthread.php?t=142564

If hes talking about VT3 (which we will probably never know for sure), that would mean hes 2 for 2.
interesting to say the least. Not that I believe the article, It always reaked of bs IMHO (most stuff from genmay does). But it is interesting.

Heres the orginal thread.
http://www.genmay.com/showthread.php?t=667429
It seems the guy with all these rumors has been answering questions over there as well...
He sure is adamant about making his rumors believable if they are indeed BS.

Yeah, but why? ;)

That's obvious - xenos is vastly underpowered and can't handle hi-res textures and detailed characters as evidence by titles such as gun. Especially when you consider a vast game such as virtua tennis 3. Not only does 360 have a problem holding all those textures in it's puny 512mb ram per stage(level), it also must contend with fitting the vast number of other stages that the game holds as vt3 not only renders the court and the players but also the fans in the croud and the stadium and the town around it and the general scenery as well including mountians, lakes, and regional cities all in realtime. Considering this, it's easy to see where the additional storage space offered by Bluray is coming into play and truly showing its worth. Not to mention the vastly superior rsx and dual bus ram.

hmm ...anyone seen nba 2k7?

Yep. Gotta love those superior textures and more detailed player models in Madden 2007, F.E.A.R., The Darkness, etc! ... oh wait ;)

There are plenty of games that look better than VT3 on both systems. What's the issue?

lets wait for RELEASED PS3 games please before comparing shit.

who the hell has seen framebuffer grabs from the ps3 version already for FEAR? for example

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200608/N06.0824.1850.31084.htm

As far as visuals, the PlayStation 3 version is notably better. With much more defined facial features, crisper stadiums, and realistic cloth movement, the PlayStation 3 version is the best looking Tennis title we’ve yet to see at this point. Sega admitted the title was still early in development, and while planned for a spring 2007 release, we’ll wait until we get our hands on more final code to give the last verdict.

Seems like there's quite a drastic difference between the two versions.

Shouldn't be surprising to see better physics (like cloth animation) on PS3 games. Sure SEGA originally developed this with Nvidia hardware but given the 'fact' that Xenos is a generation ahead and ultra powerfull and what not this report is news.. Personally I think it's more accurate to compare exclusives but hey..

Shouldn't be surprising to see better physics (like cloth animation) on PS3 games. Sure SEGA originally developed this with Nvidia hardware but given the 'fact' that Xenos is a generation ahead and ultra powerfull and what not this report is news.. Personally I think it's more accurate to compare exclusives but hey..

I wouldn't be surprised to see better physics on ps3 either, however after seeing what is capable on 360 wrt cloth animation in nba 2k7 I will have to say this is a limitation of the developer and not the 360.

If Sumo Digital can't produce an arcade perfect rendition of a 6800 arcade game on the 360 something's wrong.

Edit: And it a'int the hardware ;)

Well hardknock, theres still like 6 more months of development in store. I'm sure both should improve in that time, and it's not like they don't look great already. It could be just like the madden 07 thing at e3. But I honestly think the biggest factor is the similar GPU's of the Arcade Board and the PS3. SEGA has really been preaching how much it's a blessing to them.

If Sumo Digital can't produce an arcade perfect rendition of a 6800 arcade game on the 360 something's wrong.

Edit: And it a'int the hardware ;)

The 360 version is probably arcade perfect, maybe the PS3 version is getting a treatment from AM2.

There are some 1080p screens being shown of the game. I wonder if the PS3 version is a 1080p title. The arcade is 720p AFAIK. Maybe AM2 upgraded the detail through higher res texture, etc for higher res, where as the 360 version from Sumo digital is using arcade resources ? Maybe AM2 hasn't passed on those upgrade to Sumo Digital yet for this 360 build.

Back