virtuea tennis 3 impressions xbox360 , ps3

hey69

i have a monster
Veteran
Developer commentary on comparison:

The 360 version obviously has less nuanced lighting. You may say that the 360 version could be on a court lit for day while the PS3 version was night lighting, but a Sumo Digital producer who worked on the game said the following when I asked him which version he preferred graphically: "Take a look, which do you think is better? The PS3 version features soft shadows and anti-aliasing, so you get more natural lighting. The 360 version has darker shadows with less detail, so I prefer the more realistic look of the PS3."

Later on however, when asked the same question, another developer with Sumo Digital said that he believed the two versions were roughly equal but that the widescreen TV showing the 360 versions was having display issues. "We've been having problems with that set all week." It's worth noting that the first guy was a more senior lead producer, however (the second guy told me that if I wanted to know more, "he's the guy to ask.")

anyway, i'v read at a few places that quite a few ps3 titles have AA on them while the same games on xbox360 doesnt have them. is this because of taking acount of Edram takes more time or something like that?

well yeah, the point wasnt to say x is better than Y ....ok , lets forget the xbox360 part of the topic start.
the fact stays a lot of ps3 games have AA aplied to them. Has the ps3 power to spare :) .. or are they using tricks ?

I think the comparison rules dont apply to this thread because the essence of the interview is a comparison...

IMHO, I think sega made a choice to have a certain kind of lighting in the PS3 version and not the 360 version. There is nothing inherent in hardware that could would prevent the the exact same graphical tricks on either hardware... noting that there are games with much more demanding environments and character volumes that utilise an abundance of soft shadowing and natural lighting on x360 right now (oblivion and GRAW) that come to mind so the essence of teh developer comparison is really a non-starter. Devs choose to push what they choose to push on the platform of their preference.

so you are trying to say that a certain dev with a lot of fans of a particular platform they will push it more then the other platform on wich another team inside the company is working on.

thats a bit hard to say i think no?

hey69 said:
so you are trying to say that a certain dev with a lot of fans of a particular platform they will push it more then the other platform on wich another team inside the company is working on.

thats a bit hard to say i think no?

For some small reason I find it hard to believe too.

I don't think thats the case but something is fishy, it is games alot more demanding game then tennis on the 360 that have softshadows and nice lighting, AA is another issue because it may be easier to turn on on the PS3

rosman said:
Maybe just because it was designed for the arcade based on a g70 class craphic card at first ?

Bingo!

Virtua Fighter 5 and Virtua Tennis 3 are both on Lindbergh, which has a Geforce6800 (not a G70 class as you said). Obviously it will be easier for Sega to port the 2 games to PS3 than to X360. Especially considering the X360 has a rather unusual GPU, compared to the 6800 at least, with its unified shaders and the EDRAM.

Kinda logical really.

london-boy said:
Bingo!

Virtua Fighter 5 and Virtua Tennis 3 are both on Lindbergh, which has a Geforce6800 (not a G70 class as you said). Obviously it will be easier for Sega to port the 2 games to PS3 than to X360. Especially considering the X360 has a rather unusual GPU, compared to the 6800 at least, with its unified shaders and the EDRAM.

Kinda logical really.

A good point, and another indication that x360 owners shouldn't spaz out about the dev's comments about the x360 version looking worse. While those comments remind me of the PS2 vs DC comparisons in Ready to Rumble 2 (lighting better on ps2), this time the hardware is more than capable of putting out equal graphical fidelity, especially since the 6800gt (I believe clocks on lindberh are gt clocks anyways) is nowhere near the performance of the Xenos. I would wager that if the final version on the x360 doesn't look identical, you can whittle down the reason to dev incompetence or marketing dep. intervention.

Virtua Tennis 3: Awesome. We\'re big fans of Sega\'s arcade racquet-em-up, and this looks like being the best version of it yet. Again, there is nothing new here apart from some shiny graphics. Unfortunately for Sony, Sega were showing off the game on the Xbox 360 on its own stand, and it actually looked better than the PS3 version.

Interestingly bit-tech says X360 versions looks better

http://www.bit-tech.net/news/2006/05/11/ps3_playtest/

Also a member at GAF says Sonic has sharper textures on 360, and Madden looks the same on both but has a smoother framerate on 360.

Back