Virtua Tennis 3: PS3 version a little better (IGN)

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/727/727917p1.html

Player's clothes now flowed realistically with their movements and the clipping errors we witnessed a few months ago are nowhere to be found. Sega also placed the PS3 version directly next to the Xbox 360 build allowing us to see the slight differences between the two. This was made more interesting by the fact that the two games are being developed by separate companies with AM2 working on the PS3 title and Sumo Digital developing the 360 version. Plainly put, the PS3 looked a little better with sharper textures and incredibly detailed player models. It was almost eerie when we noticed the veins sticking out in our character's forehead.

Early Comparison Virtua Tennis 3 (PS3&X360)

According to IGN...

GC 2006: Virtua Tennis 3 Update
Updated graphics and new multiplayer.
by David Clayman
August 24, 2006 - Playable PS3 games were few and far between at Games Convention and unfortunately it looks as though we'll have to wait for TGS for the floodgates to open. One game we did get our hands on was the latest version of Virtua Tennis 3. While the gameplay was seemingly unchanged from the E3 build we played in May, the graphics have undergone some tweaks and upgrades.

Player's clothes now flowed realistically with their movements and the clipping errors we witnessed a few months ago are nowhere to be found.

"Sega also placed the PS3 version directly next to the Xbox 360 build allowing us to see the slight differences between the two. This was made more interesting by the fact that the two games are being developed by separate companies with AM2 working on the PS3 title and Sumo Digital developing the 360 version. Plainly put, the PS3 looked a little better with sharper textures and incredibly detailed player models. It was almost eerie when we noticed the veins sticking out in our character's forehead. "

We're not sure exactly what this refers to but lets hope for some competitive split-screen action. We'll have more tennis news as we draw closer to the launch of PS3.

Thoughts....

Player's clothes now flowed realistically with their movements and the clipping errors we witnessed a few months ago are nowhere to be found. Sega also placed the PS3 version directly next to the Xbox 360 build allowing us to see the slight differences between the two. This was made more interesting by the fact that the two games are being developed by separate companies with AM2 working on the PS3 title and Sumo Digital developing the 360 version. Plainly put, the PS3 looked a little better with sharper textures and incredibly detailed player models. It was almost eerie when we noticed the veins sticking out in our character's forehead.http://ps3.ign.com/articles/727/727917p1.html

impossible to compare from a hardware standpoint when this is true.

It could just be that the familiarity of working with an NV architecture makes porting easier for the team that originally created the game for Lindbergh, so with the experience and extra time they have to work on it, they added some stuff and improved the art assets.

It could just be that the familiarity of working with an NV architecture makes porting easier for the team that originally created the game for Lindbergh, so with the experience and extra time they have to work on it, they added some stuff and improved the art assets.

indeed - also probably doesn't hurt that am2 has always been their top development talent.

impossible to compare from a hardware standpoint when this is true.

I would think that it is only possible to compare from a hardware standpoint if this is true provided both companies are exclusively comfortable working with their respective machines' hardware. For example, if AM2 are experts at PS3 and Sumo Digital are experts at X360 and they both get the same amount of working time on each (that said, the X360 has been developed for longer so it should have somewhat of an advantage anyway).

ahh... that does make sense

Not to say this was expected, but from SEGA Lindbergh ports, I cannot say I'm surprised either. SEGA has been preaching for a long time of how happy they are to have the nvidia GPU in the PS3. And the direct benefit of that would be easier and better looking ports compared to Arcade->Console ports in the past. On the 1upShow podcast a few weeks ago, A SEGA rep mentioned SEGA would start porting other arcade games sometime in the near future for the simple fact it's so relatively easier. I would suspect we would hear more about that at TGS.

I would think that it is only possible to compare from a hardware standpoint if this is true provided both companies are exclusively comfortable working with their respective machines' hardware. For example, if AM2 are experts at PS3 and Sumo Digital are experts at X360 and they both get the same amount of working time on each (that said, the X360 has been developed for longer so it should have somewhat of an advantage anyway).

How are Sumo Digital experts with X360 hardware? Do you know the size of each team? Their programming history? Come on dude.

Anyway, the only point I find interesting is that Sega put their "A" team on the PS3 version and not the 360 version.... Hmmmmm

How are Sumo Digital experts with X360 hardware? Do you know the size of each team? Their programming history? Come on dude.

Anyway, the only point I find interesting is that Sega put their "A" team on the PS3 version and not the 360 version.... Hmmmmm

Sumo Digital did the Ourtrun 2 ports for AM2. I am pretty sure it would be the first game for each team. What I find interesting is AM2 doing the port of VT3. VT3 isn't an AM2 game. Maybe its a practice run before VF5. Or maybe AM2 already have the framework for Lindbergh -> PS3 port.

Not sure what people are expecting. VT3 was designed around NV hardware (Sega has already noted it makes porting easier) and AM2 is a world class dev. Japan is also an important sales market for Sega and MS has absolutely no presence there.

Not sure what people are expecting. VT3 was designed around NV hardware (Sega has already noted it makes porting easier) and AM2 is a world class dev. Japan is also an important sales market for Sega and MS has absolutely no presence there.
Why would familiarty with nV hardware versus Xenos result in higher quality textures and better player detail? Both are just ordinary functions of the hardware in poly models and texture resolutions. They both do these functions the same way, no? Porting shaders might not be straightforward, but that shouldn't affect texture or model detail.

Are the different developers using different art assets? That'd be pretty crazy and wasteful, but to me seems the most obvious reason for the differences rather than variations in hardware. I expect the differences between Xenos and RSX to matter in XB360>>PS3 ports where the features of Xenos are used effectively and RSX hasn't got those features, but going the other way round what has RSX got that Xenos hasn't that makes porting assets hard so that they'd be downgraded?

Back