Valve announces VR-Only Half Life: Alyx. [2020]

• Thread starter Deleted member 13524
  • Start date
From what I've heard, this game takes place between HL1 and HL2. So it's kind of like HL 1.5 in terms of the timeline. So it's possible it may not exist yet in the game's universe. Perhaps it's discovered towards the end of the game.

Regards,
SB

They still wont exist in all of the HL2 games where Alyx is a character. There is no way for them to have this make any sense.

[ HL 1 ] / [ HL 1.5 with Magic Gloves and Alyx ] / [ HL 2 with Alyx but without any such magic gloves ]

I'd say its high, a lot of games and people have 8gb
Terminator Resistance, Control, Battlefield V, Doom Eternal, Wolfenstein: Youngblood, The Outer Worlds, Star Wars Jedi - Fallen Order
all 8gb

ps:
Source 2 SDK will be released with Half-Life: Alyx, community can build custom maps and mods - The official Steam store page for Half-Life: Alyx confirms that community-built environments and mods will be possible with the Source 2 tools. Players can use an updated version of Hammer, the current level editing tool for Source games, in order to build custom levels and campaigns for HL: Alyx.
Counter-Strike vr anyone ?

Last edited:
'm not sure whether Half-Life Alix will change things or not. I'm leaning towards it giving VR hardware sales just a minor bump, but we'll see.

VR still has far too many compromises to make it something most people want to buy. Hell, Sony has the best chance to push it. But even still, only around 5% of PS4 owners have gotten one.

Maybe if they do a HL3 VR could sell alot.

That seems "low" for a PC game? Assuming the specs are more accurate than what other games report.

Minimum though :p

Just seemed like all VR Gaming PCs would have at least 16 GB today, maybe even more like 24GB to 32GB. Nvidia has been listing 8GB+ for a long time now, ever since the days of 1060 GTX. So adding 4GB more than that for a Top Tier VR Leading title that launches next year seems low.

So the obvious question that has to be asked, what happens/happened to the magic magnet gloves that cause them to not exist at all in HalfLife 2? This is why I dislike when companies put out new games that are already bookended by other titles. Any different technology in the game world is out of place.

This feels worse than all adjustments Lucas has ever made to the Star Wars universe as time went on.

Take a step back, brethe and take a serious look into the HL universe. It's nothing short of ridiculous. Valve cares less about nitty gritty consistency of it than you do, because they themselves know that game does not require nor deserves that kindof over thinking. They have well rounded characters, clever writing, somewhat competent world building and visual story telling, and great pacing both narratively and gameplay-wise. But it's still a ridiculous game about a phd. physicist in a hazzard suit killing zombie-making aliens from another dimension where the US military tried to build alien-machine hybrid monster factories for war purposes, and then some guy started the next 1984 totalitarian distopia in eastern europe and... like, seriously man. Fuck the gloves. They don't matter.

Take a step back, brethe and take a serious look into the HL universe.

Oh entirely. This was more a rant about the creative types (movies, series, games) not caring about consistency and only chasing the money.

Oh entirely. This was more a rant about the creative types (movies, series, games) not caring about consistency and only chasing the money.

I personally doesn't really mind jarring inconsistencies, weird plot, etc if the overall result is good

That's why for some movies like transformers, fast furious, I go to the movies with my brain "turned off".

BTW from the interview, it seems alyx will allow you to do unscripted stuff, do your own rule of engagement.

(they mentioned that the early testers keeps doing things that were not designed / expected)

It's sustaining. I'm not sure there's any momentum to grow it yet. But we'll see how Half-Life performs.

To put it into perspective, all VR thus far still hasn't outperformed the original Xbox. And games on VR are still very VERY far behind where games on Xbox were. VR is still sorely lacking robust full game experiences.

But there are a lot of potentially tantalizing glimpses at some of the potential, but almost all of them still have many flaws that detract from them.

Beat Saber is still, by far the most impressive VR title released to date and the only one thus far with the potential for mass market appeal. The fact that it's arguably the only one at the moment, however, seriously hampers widespread VR adoption.

While I'm sure VR enthusiasts that haven't quit on VR yet (I know plenty that have given up on VR, at least for the time being) will argue with me, but sales don't back that up so far.

The Oculus Quest is currently the most consumer friendly VR device on the market and it still isn't generating massive sales or giving the VR market much momentum.

The infographic that Tottentranz posted above would indicated that at that point the VR gaming market (not including people that try it on mobile and then immediately stop because it's not worth the hassle) was around 8 million or so. The original Xbox sold 24 million and was considered a flop/failure. Basically trying to compare it to consoles isn't a good idea. But then there aren't many successful tiny niche hardware gaming platforms to compare it to. :p

It's been about 3.5 years so far for this generation of VR, so there's always a chance it'll take off at some point. But currently there is nothing to indicate that it will.

I'm not sure whether Half-Life Alix will change things or not. I'm leaning towards it giving VR hardware sales just a minor bump, but we'll see.

VR still has far too many compromises to make it something most people want to buy. Hell, Sony has the best chance to push it. But even still, only around 5% of PS4 owners have gotten one.

Regards,
SB

I mean the original xbox didn't require another $400 plus device to use however. Its also a device that was common in homes since the late 70s with the Atari. They xbox original wasn't trying to make a new market segment, I mean in 1983 the Motorola DynaTAC 8000x didn't sell 20 or 30 million units like the iPhone does now. But over 30 plus years of sustained growth its now a known quantity. At this point towards the end of 2019 and early 2020 there are now enough units out there where bigger games can come out. Your talking about beat saber but there are so many better experiences out there. Asgards wrath , storm lands from oculus . You have echo arena , bone works , pistol whip , until you fall , rec room , lone echo 1 + 2 , budget cuts 1 + 2 , defector , onward , and so many others. there are tons of quality games out there that are more than just tech demos at this point . Now when you buy a headset its not just a few games and your done waiting for content. There are dozens of games worth buying and then all the tech demos.

Moving forward into 2020 we are going to get a lot more stuff and I expect that to continue. Sony has said the psvr will work on the ps5 and I suspect in 2021 after the console launch we will see a psvr 2 and I expect we will see wmr 2 from Microsoft also working on the xbox next. I suspect we will also hear about the quest 2 and slowly but surely we will see the vr market grow. For sure at some points it will be slow moving but we will see big bursts when a game like half life gets announced. I have a feeling a lot of headsets will fly off the shelves this holiday simply on the back of the half life announcement. You can get an odessy plus at many places for $230 right now and the rift s / quest is only $350 I believe.

Looks great, but VR games especially should have an option to select what you are. I have zero interest in becoming Alyx and bounce around as a lady.

OK, so this may or may not be connected. Been occasionally checking the Oculus Quest on Amazon to see if someone would do a Black Friday/Cyber Monday deal on it.

Imagine my surprise to see that even though it was never discounted, the 64 GB model is sold out. There's at least a possibility that it may be related to word of the HL: Alix announcement spreading.

The last Dropped Frames show also noted that the Valve Index was the best selling item on Steam for a few days after the announcement.

It'll be a bit before we'll know whether there's been a noticeable uptick in VR hardware sales, but it'd be good for the platform if this managed to push VR into more hands.

Definitely needed as there's a lot of VR headsets just gathering dust at the moment.

Then again, considering the Rift-S discounted to 349 USD didn't sell out, maybe it's just a coincidence. :)

Regards,
SB

Imagine my surprise to see that even though it was never discounted, the 64 GB model is sold out. There's at least a possibility that it may be related to word of the HL: Alix announcement spreading.
64GB model? Why a VR headset have memory?

New gameplay video

Is that movement style a thing in VR games currently? It's very jarring and unimmersive. And once you're moved to that spot you're kind of stuck there in those combats. It's like an on-rails shooter almost. Do not like.

Back