Value of Consoles vs PC *spin off*

Then you get a lesser service at a lesser cost. Seems reasonable to me.

What lesser service are you getting if you don't play online?

Generally speaking the games are cheaper on PC whether it's launch window or later on in the generation assuming they launched at the same time. However I wasn't trying to suggest that this completely closes the gap - how could it since it's going to be different for every person? For some people it will close the gap and for others it won't come close. It should nevertheless be considered as a relevant factor

This definitely used to be bigger deal back at the start of the previous console generation but does not seem to be as widespread a phenomenon any more. I bought Valhalla on PS5 for the same price as it sells on U-Play and Dirt 5 on PS5 for as much as it sells on Steam - Cyberpunk 2077 is available for pre-order for £49.99 everywhere.

Sales are great everywhere, last week I nabbed Ni No Kuni 2 on PSN for £7.

What lesser service are you getting if you don't play online?

You lack the ability to play online which is a lesser service than being able to play online. Granted you may not care one iota about playing online but it's still a lesser service for a lesser price which is a fair economic trade.

To be clear, for people who don't want to play online, the value proposition of consoles gets stronger, I'm not arguing against that. Only that it's stronger because you're getting less. If you don't care about what you lose with that cheaper service then it's obviously the better option, much like a series S is a better option than a series X for someone who cares little for resolution. But you're still paying less for a lesser service.

This definitely used to be bigger deal back at the start of the previous console generation but does not seem to be as widespread a phenomenon any more. I bought Valhalla on PS5 for the same price as it sells on U-Play and Dirt 5 on PS5 for as much as it sells on Steam - Cyberpunk 2077 is available for pre-order for £49.99 everywhere.

Sales are great everywhere, last week I nabbed Ni No Kuni 2 on PSN for £7.

https://www.cjs-cdkeys.com/products...D-Key-(Digital-Download).html?setCurrencyId=1 ;)

You lack the ability to play online which is a lesser service than being able to play online. Granted you may not care one iota about playing online but it's still a lesser service for a lesser price which is a fair economic trade.

Not all online games need a console online subscription, for example Fortnite does not.

I've used key stores. If the key is stock when you order, all good. But pre-ordering a key in the hope they there will be enough keys available for launch? No thanks. :nope: This is why key stores all carry this type of disclaimer for pre-orders.

Although CDKeys.com shall use its best endeavours to deliver the CD keys for the pre-ordered Program prior to the official release date indicated on the Online Shop, CDKeys.com does not guarantee that the CD keys for the pre-ordered Program shall be delivered prior to the official release date. CDKeys.com shall not be responsible for any delay and/or failure in connection with the delivery of any pre-ordered Program. CDKeys.com may only guarantee the delivery of the CD keys that it receives from the Sellers.
TANSTAAFL :yep2:

Not all online games need a console online subscription, for example Fortnite does not.

I've used key stores. If the key is stock when you order, all good. But pre-ordering a key in the hope they there will be enough keys available for launch? No thanks. :nope: This is why key stores all carry this type of disclaimer for pre-orders.

Although CDKeys.com shall use its best endeavours to deliver the CD keys for the pre-ordered Program prior to the official release date indicated on the Online Shop, CDKeys.com does not guarantee that the CD keys for the pre-ordered Program shall be delivered prior to the official release date. CDKeys.com shall not be responsible for any delay and/or failure in connection with the delivery of any pre-ordered Program. CDKeys.com may only guarantee the delivery of the CD keys that it receives from the Sellers.
TANSTAAFL :yep2:

Yeah I don't think I've ever tried to pre-order a game from a key store (mostly because I almost never pre-order games) but that does look like something to watch out for.

Different people value different experiences. For me it's the very fact that I can customise, tweak, and ultimately perfect my PC gaming experience that appeals to me. The time spent on that is a hobby that I enjoy. Naturally if that's something you see as a chore then consoles are probably a better fit.

But if we pull that a bit further, anything related to my gaming is part of the hobby. Which again we probably should not calculate cost for, because it's a hobby.
Of course that goes against this thread title, but....

But if we pull that a bit further, anything related to my gaming is part of the hobby. Which again we probably should not calculate cost for, because it's a hobby.
Of course that goes against this thread title, but....

It sounds like you're agreeing with me unless I'm missing your point?

Some of my thoughts.

-Console subscriptions have sales too.
-The caliber of free games you get in PS Plus is well above that offered in the PC space.
-PC games are not much cheaper if they are at all. The same CDKeys type sites also sell console games. Playstation/Xbox sales are just as good as steam and others. There’s also the option to buy used games. And then you have retail sales which are mostly nonexistent for PC here in America.
-Consoles don't have cheating online which is a big add to the value IMO. I would gladly pay a yearly fee in the PC space to eliminate cheating.

Some of my thoughts.

-Console subscriptions have sales too.
-The caliber of free games you get in PS Plus is well above that offered in the PC space.
-PC games are not much cheaper if they are at all. The same CDKeys type sites also sell console games. Playstation/Xbox sales are just as good as steam and others. There’s also the option to buy used games. And then you have retail sales which are mostly nonexistent for PC here in America.
-Consoles don't have cheating online which is a big add to the value IMO. I would gladly pay a yearly fee in the PC space to eliminate cheating.

Eh consoles have to deal with people on pcs that can cheat and have better controllers (mouse keyboard)

Also on pc you can have generational BC/FC Steam launched in 2003 and the games i bought that sept still work to this day. Nintendo has BC and Sony's is laughable with MS not even being able to provide full BC for all their games across roughly the same time frame

Eh consoles have to deal with people on pcs that can cheat and have better controllers (mouse keyboard)

Also on pc you can have generational BC/FC Steam launched in 2003 and the games i bought that sept still work to this day. Nintendo has BC and Sony's is laughable with MS not even being able to provide full BC for all their games across roughly the same time frame

Also if we're talking BC and AAA exclusives then it's worth remembering that the PC is the only platform on which you can play pretty much all of Nintendo's back catalogue via emulators - provided you legally own the games already of course. I still regularly play the various Mario Kart incarnations - at higher resolution too.

For the one time cost of $20 you can transform the Series console into a dev station that allows you to flip modes. In the developer mode, it allows you to run emulators written for it. Its not as extensive or easy as the PC world, but there are multiple youtube videos showing Series S running RetroArch and even some PS2 games being playable.

You do need to flip back and forth on the modes if you want to play normal commercial games.

-Consoles don't have cheating online

Aha, thats not what i have experienced. For the first no platform is totally free from cheating. On the other, yes there are cheaters/hackers on console too. BF4 PS4 there where people using XIM4, against people with controllers. Its basically a hardware hack impossible to detect.
Also, modded/custom FW PS4's did exist and mods where available.

I have been maintaining BF servers since 2005 (scandinavia), and yes cheaters are more common on PC, but at the same time they are often dealth with much faster. More often then not for PC mp games, its easy to find good administred servers, where cheating is almost non-existant due to excellent moderation. Whereas on consoles, such servers arent as common, mostly being offcial servers which means no administration.
Another point, atleast for BF games, on pc you have less trouble with 13 year olds that only know DM. On pc i often can find really good conquest matches with very good teamplay/voip coordination etc. Also worth mentioning is that regarding online MP, this usually dies out rather quick on consoles, often leaving you without servers when a new BF game releases. On pc, even BF2 is still going strong, despite gamespy shutting down the servers, the community finds its way. Same for BC2, once in a while i boot it and still can find a server to my likings, almost ten years after release. On console, its dead and shutdown.

Even if i had to pay to be able to play online for PC, i'd still rather play there. The integration of kb/m is much better, too.

Also if we're talking BC and AAA exclusives then it's worth remembering that the PC is the only platform on which you can play pretty much all of Nintendo's back catalogue via emulators - provided you legally own the games already of course. I still regularly play the various Mario Kart incarnations - at higher resolution too.

Same for PS2 games, more often then not, running your old PS2 games using PCSX2 actually gives you 4k/60 and whatever effects/reshade effect you want, much faster loading and stable fps at that. Basically remasters.
Dolphin (GC) emulation is even better then PCSX2. Theres no xbox 2001 emulation though, but every other console prior that are possible.

That and, with the pc, your abit in the middle-land. You get all the pc games, MS games, and Sony games to an extend. Console matching hardware isnt as expensive as before either (90's and 2000's). A 3060Ti/6700XT system will get you there. I remember when OG xbox launched you needed a 4x00Ti, atleast, which didnt even exist on the consoles launch. Optimization on pc was a total disaster back then, too.

For the one time cost of $20 you can transform the Series console into a dev station that allows you to flip modes. In the developer mode, it allows you to run emulators written for it. Its not as extensive or easy as the PC world, but there are multiple youtube videos showing Series S running RetroArch and even some PS2 games being playable.

You do need to flip back and forth on the modes if you want to play normal commercial games.

Saw that on facebook, someone basically had XSS converted into a 'retro' box, playing PS2 games and more. Quite intresting, considering it plays next gen games at it too :p

Fortnite and Call of Duty both support mouse and keyboard on PS5 and S|X The times are a-changing, baby!

Good luck trying to get old Bethesda games to work. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are crash fests - if you can even get them running on Windows 10 at all. They work fine on Xbox! The times are a-changing, baby!

Fortnite and Call of Duty both support mouse and keyboard on PS5 and S|X The times are a-changing, baby!

Good luck trying to get old Bethesda games to work. Oblivion, Fallout 3 and New Vegas are crash fests - if you can even get them running on Windows 10 at all. They work fine on Xbox! The times are a-changing, baby!

good point on mouse and keyboard for consoles

Also those bethesda games work fine for me ?

good point on mouse and keyboard for consoles

Also those bethesda games work fine for me ?

It's very hit and miss on later Windows 10 builds and modern graphic cards. You'll be lucky if you can play them for more than 20 minutes. I love Oblivion but couldn't get it running natively earlier this year, I had to setup a VM and run a version of Windows 7 in max compatibility mode.

It's very hit and miss on later Windows 10 builds and modern graphic cards. You'll be lucky if you can play them for more than 20 minutes. I love Oblivion but couldn't get it running natively earlier this year, I had to setup a VM and run a version of Windows 7 in max compatibility mode.

thats odd , oblivion works fine on my system on the latest windows 10 version and a vega 56 and 1700x

KB/M support was there already in 2000/2001 for the PS2. Aside from that, KB/M was widely used using the XIM4 converter for later consoles. They could indeed make it native now.

Technically you'd be able to run just about any old pc game, if thats too much consuming to fix, indeed, its console time ;). Twenty or so years ago this wasnt always the case either, PC bc was kinda worse back then.

thats odd , oblivion works fine on my system on the latest windows 10 version and a vega 56 and 1700x

I have yet to find any old pc game not functioning on my W10 system. Some games need workarounds though (a one time fix usually), but i can live with that. All old games are basically remasters in the console world. .

I don't think the rare use of a mouse in a console game is at all comparable to the very common and very wide array of cheats used in PC games. User run servers with quality admin tools are also mostly a thing of the past. The last Battlefield game to support them was BF4 in 2013. Can’t think of any semi popular game since to have them.

Btw my 'pro' upgrade was 150 euro only; I sold my launch PS4 for 250 euro. That was a pretty good upgrade for me.
A friend actually built the early 2014 'digital foundry-pc', with the core i3 and the 750ti, I believe he pirated windows and still payed upwards of 500-600 euros. Needless to say, he got f*****, because later in the generation, the 'digital foundry-pc' became more and more shitty, with the biggest joke trying to run Red Dead Redemption 2 on it last year. The 2016 and 2018 tomb raider games were also embarrassing to watch.

In early 2014 the promise was that this 'digital foundry-pc' would run the entire console generation with better settings, for only a 50% price increase over the console.

At least now nobody is trying to make that argument anymore

Btw my 'pro' upgrade was 150 euro only; I sold my launch PS4 for 250 euro. That was a pretty good upgrade for me.
A friend actually built the early 2014 'digital foundry-pc', with the core i3 and the 750ti, I believe he pirated windows and still payed upwards of 500-600 euros. Needless to say, he got f*****, because later in the generation, the 'digital foundry-pc' became more and more shitty, with the biggest joke trying to run Red Dead Redemption 2 on it last year. The 2016 and 2018 tomb raider games were also embarrassing to watch.

In early 2014 the promise was that this 'digital foundry-pc' would run the entire console generation with better settings, for only a 50% price increase over the console.

At least now nobody is trying to make that argument anymore
Anyone looking to buy a GPU and keep it for the long haul would be much better served going with AMD. Nvidia GPUs have poor long term value IMO.

Last edited:
Back