Upgrading to SSD's for PS4, an awful choice?

I have the same drive. We have come a long way since my first 120mb SCSI Quantum HDD from 1993! :smile:

Oooh, I still remember bricking a 400 USD 85 MB Connor HDD back in 1991. Worst thing was it was a friend's drive that I was helping to upgrade. He was going from a 20 MB drive to the massive 85 MB drive.

Regards,
SB

....I actually remember the time I used to stash p0rn on floppy disks to keep it hidden from my parents.... you'd be amazed how much fitted on a 720KB or 1.44MB disk..... :LOL:

getmecoat.gif

I have a 100GB Corsair SSD in my linux server that gets heavy usage on big files being copied over and away from it. The S.M.A.R.T. attribute currently reads:

9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032 100 100 000 Old_age Always - 23881h
241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB 0x0032 000 000 000 Old_age Always - 17920
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB 0x0032 000 000 000 Old_age Always - 33408

That's 33TiB of reads and 17TiB of writes over its lifespan so far. On a 100Gb drive. The drive has been in use since 23881 hours accoarding to the stat (995 days / 2.7 years).

In other words, 33.5 GiB of reads and 18 GiB of writes per day on average.

I wouldn't expect my PS4 to even have a close to that usage in any practical sense. I'm not too concerned, considering on a PS4, if a failure does occur, the data stored on it (games) can always be re-downloaded.

I'm just going to quote myself here - at 12 o'clock sharp, one of my system SSD seemed to have gone off the grid. That's over a duration of extreme high usage over the period of 3.4 years. I still have to do some research into why it failed, as none of the s.m.a.r.t. attributes set off any alarms. I'll get back when I have some more intel.

I've always waited for this moment to see what happens when one of these things fail. :cool: :p

It shoud give a fair idea on how well these SSDs can pass the test of time. I'll stand by my point, a SSD used in the environment of a console with a fraction of the usage I put my SSD through should be sustainable for longer than the console is likely to live.

The other SSD (same purchase date, similar usage and still going strong) is currently at

Code:
  9 Power_On_Hours_and_Msec 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always    -       30263h
241 Lifetime_Writes_GiB     0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always    -       23360
242 Lifetime_Reads_GiB      0x0032   000   000   000    Old_age   Always    -       45504

That's 3.45 years and writes of 23.36 TiB and reads of 45.5 TiB. Note that the drive in question is a 100GB drive - so we are talking 233 times the amount of its size in writes and 455 times it size in reads.

The PS4 doesn't support TRIM, so that's a likely outcome as time goes by and those drives fill up/get used.

edit: I just skimmed and missed that Samsung released a firmware fix for a slowdown problem for EVO drives as cells degrade over time. Separate from the TRIM issue.

It seems to be a major firmware bug on one particular samsung SSD.

"Performance Restoration supports only the NTFS file system."

So on consoles the solution is to flash the fixed firmware (from a PC) and wipe the drive clean?

Interesting on the Samsung 840 issue. Is there any information on which firmwares are not effected by this anymore? If I was to buy a drive, say, by end of the year - it might already ship with a newer firmware (or it might not, if the drive was just lying around at a store, basically).

Also, for those that want to change their harddrives in their PS4 - is there a foolproof guide somewhere that we can follow? To do it in the least amount of time with the least amount of loss? Thanks!

Also, for those that want to change their harddrives in their PS4 - is there a foolproof guide somewhere that we can follow?

It's in the user manual. I did mine day 1. Using the manual!

I upgraded day one too, because there was no full backup like the PS3.

The full backup option, that was supposed to be in 2.00, has been delayed. That would have made upgrading easier for those with a broadband data cap, right now if you upgrade your HDD you need to re-download all DD games.

I did it, just get the correct firmware, not the upgrade file ;)

Also while the cloud backs up the saves, I used the USB too. I forgot to backup my share videos and pics though.

i was considering getting 2TB HDD then placing the 500GB to my laptop (replacing its old and bad sector HDD) then BAM!

Currency exchange goes very bad and there's some unexpected expenses. Now im saving money again while hoping HDD transfer for FW 2.0.

but sony delayed the hdd backup...
ah i guess more time to save money to get even bigger HDD lol.

i was considering getting 2TB HDD then placing the 500GB to my laptop (replacing its old and bad sector HDD) then BAM!
I can really see myself getting a 2Tb HDD at some point in the future too. I've a 1Tb in there at the moment and even with a bunch of games, many of there 20Gb, I've got 700-800mb free. I reckon I'm good for a few years at my buy rate (avg. 20 purchases a year).

Mind you GTA V is supposedly 50Gb and although it breaks my rule of no digital purchases of games over 25Gb, I think I'll get that digitally because I simply don't want to wait for the disc to arrive in the mail on release day. Other games over 25Gb (BF4, KZ:SF and TLoU:R) I've got on disc so I can free-up space but re-install them quick.

I did it, just get the correct firmware, not the upgrade file ;)

Also while the cloud backs up the saves, I used the USB too. I forgot to backup my share videos and pics though.

I thought the cloud will save me. But I screwed up. I redownloaded the games after replacing hdd, and before manually downloading saves from cloud I ran KZ. And it has overwritten the save in the cloud :mad:

But I screwed up. I redownloaded the games after replacing hdd, and before manually downloading saves from cloud I ran KZ. And it has overwritten the save in the cloud :mad:
That's not cool. You'd think after installing the OS, the obvious thing to do is ask if you want to download all the data currently in the cloud.

Bad Sony, BAD! :yep2:

Normally it warns you that the cloud save is newer but I guess in this case the bad save is newer. So yeah auto check when setting up could be a nice feature, perhaps tweet it to Yoshi?

Where did it say USB backup isn't going to make it in 2.0?

My HDD has just reached capacity, but I can easily get rid of a few games for now.

Possibly a more robust solution that might require game and server support would be if the cloud save checked an activity or entropy counter in the save file that ticks upward as changes accumulate.
A fresh file with a more recent date would have a lower count, which would give the system a reason to confirm the upload, or possibly maintain an internal rollback option.

Maybe if they write a GUID upon creation of a new save container. Then they could simply warn if the cloud file and local file are not the same GUID, disabling sync while the user decides which one to delete. When it's the same GUID, overwrite-if-newer is necessarily the correct decision.

Yeah tweet that to @yosp....
He sometimes respons to good stuff.

Why ps don't have feedback.ps.com a-la feedback.xbox.com?

Back