Chia Coin to cause storage shortages and price surges

Discussion in 'PC Industry' started by BRiT, May 2, 2021.

1. BRiT

BRiT (>• •)>⌐■-■ (⌐■-■)
    Moderator Legend Alpha

Chia Coin uses Proof of Space and Time.

https://www.chia.net/faq

“Proof of Space is a cryptographic technique where provers show that they allocate unused hard drive space for storage space. In order to be used as a consensus method, Proof of Space must be tied to Proof of Time. PoT ensures that block times have consistency in the time between them and increases the overall security of the blockchain.”

https://www.tweaktown.com/news/7906...of-storage-hdd-ssd-shortage-feared/index.html

Chia Coin now using over 1 exabyte of storage, HDD/SSD shortage feared
    Chia Coin cryptocurrency mining continues to explode, HDD and SSD shortage concerns growing by the day with storage-fueled mining.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/hard-drive-prices-skyrocket-asia-scalpers-making-bank

Hard Drive Prices Skyrocket In Asia Due to New Chia Cryptocoin, Scalpers Capitalize
    Forget GPUs, hard drives are the new gold

2. Silent_Buddha

Legend

Well, I'm glad I'm set at least for a while with 60 TB of storage in my NAS plus another 40 TB in my desktop. :p

What a weird way to base a crypto coin.

Regards,
    SB

Lightman and BRiT like this.
  3. orangpelupa

orangpelupa Elite Bug Hunter
    Legend Veteran

Someone on here just ordered hundreds of ram sticks right? That would be blazing fast for mining this coin (ram as virtual disk)

4. pcchen

pcchen Moderator
    Moderator Veteran Subscriber

From my understanding you don't need super fast storage for this. Your network bandwidth is probably more important.
    A friend of mine used to run a node for BTFS (a copy of IPFS on Tron blockchain) and it ate a lot of bandwidth. It also stopped being profitable after the "airdrop" of coins stopped (i.e. people are not that into buying not-so-reliable storage space after all).

#4 pcchen, May 2, 2021
    Last edited: May 2, 2021
    Lightman and BRiT like this.
  5. hoom

Veteran

This stuff makes me so mad.
    I'd be OK with them if they were actually doing meaningful work like running SETI at home/Folding or genuinely providing real 'cloud' processing/storage to generate the crypto-currency.
    But the established ones are literally all about who can utterly waste the most electricity/CPU/GPU cycles and now this is about wasting HDD space/read/write cycles.

We have like minus 20 years to balance our carbon budget and we're letting this shit waste our electricity, Leonidas would have kicked these bastards down a well years ago.

/rant