Upgraded 360 with Natal (Rumor)

It'll all be trumped when SEGA leverages its Ray-Tracing technology and builds a full-room hologram emitter. I imagine two generations from now they'll even be using replicator technology to make it more real.

Microsoft, I don't want to have to buy a new tv again, just give me this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jd3-eiid-Uw

Thanks.

Tommy McClain

OMG that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking of all those times I've mentioned Natal as being an "enhancement" for games that would still use a standard controller.

But I've never been able to express in words properly what I meant.

Sends shivers down my back to see demo'd only what I had in my head. :) The illusion of 3D is just incredible.

Regards,
SB

Considering how they have all sides of the car-thing, I'm guessing that's not from Natal, unless it doesn't need line of sight to see.

Considering how they have all sides of the car-thing, I'm guessing that's not from Natal, unless it doesn't need line of sight to see.

They could have used the natal camera, but in a 3D scan / object build mode (obviously implemented by software) where you take a snapshot of the object from different perspectives and it builds the point space model/cloud. Or perhaps in a more fancy implementation, just rotate it around a bit -- but I doubt this is possible. What's pretty neat to me is he converts those into vertices or something using fancy path algorithms or heuristics specific to certain models (like humans). I suspect that although he has a rabbit point cloud, he doesn't have an implementation of natal that would allow rabbits to control burnout.

Or perhaps in a more fancy implementation, just rotate it around a bit -- but I doubt this is possible.

Why would that not be possible? Siggraph stuff is full of utterly amazing sh** like this every year, you wouldn't believe some of the stuff those university researchers come up with.

It's about time some of that gets into commercial products like Natal :)

Ok, so is this (image from the blog linked above) an image of what Natal's IR camera is "seeing." And that MS is just picking 48 of those points to track skeletal movement?

Kinda more complicated then that, as the actual joints are INSIDE your body, so they have to do some extra math to derive the axis points. They probably have to track all those points to kinda triangulate the joints themselves. Which is also why they have an extra CPU inside the device to supplement the X360.

Silent_Buddha said:
In which case I can see why finger tracking would be vitually impossible without your fingers being fairly close to the camera.
I was thinking maybe some color coated (or something similar) gloves could help with this.

Ok, so is this (image from the blog linked above) an image of what Natal's IR camera is "seeing." And that MS is just picking 48 of those points to track skeletal movement?

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CPucYiWYXAQ/SiTIdxSJ9HI/AAAAAAAAAW8/qIriW4rzW5M/s1600-h/pointcloud.jpg

In which case I can see why finger tracking would be vitually impossible without your fingers being fairly close to the camera.

Regards,
SB

No, that's not what the camera sees, it's just a the interpretation of the object from camera data. The human form image though would be the most representative of what Natal can probably do.

Natural Point has been offering this for PC games for years... There's an old PS Eye demo that does the same thing (may even be an old EyeToy sample as well).

I don't play games on my PC anymore, that's what the 360 is for.

Tommy McClain

That shit is so old. Natural Point has been offering this for PC games for years... There's an old PS Eye demo that does the same thing (may even be an old EyeToy sample as well).

OK, very cool. Even has what I was trying to explain in a racing game. Where you turned your head slightly to look into a corner and you actually LOOK into a corner, and even to cars beside you.

And from what I can see everything they do can also be done with Natal's IR camera except without the clip-on reflector.

Very exciting stuff. Looking through their supported list of games. If there's enough of them that I have or are interested in, I may just buy one of their TrackIR controllers.

Still don't see something that gave the illusion of 3D quite like that youtoube demo. But that's more a limitation of the applications. Still looking through their video's of use with games, very cool stuff.

Damn, no RTS games in there.

It'll be interesting to see what games are like when they are specifically designed for something like this.

Just raised my expectations of Natal up another notch. :)

Regards,
SB

OMG that's EXACTLY what I've been thinking of all those times I've mentioned Natal as being an "enhancement" for games that would still use a standard controller.

But I've never been able to express in words properly what I meant.

Sends shivers down my back to see demo'd only what I had in my head. :) The illusion of 3D is just incredible.

Regards,
SB

Where have you been ? We were showing the same video for both Wii and PS3 in 2007.
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46076

[size=-2]No wonder you guys are so excited now.[/size]

Where have you been ? We were showing the same video on Wii and PS3 in 2007:
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=46076

Heh, back in 2007 I didn't bother with the console forum. :)

It wasn't until sometime last year that I had the time and inclination to poke around in here and then found some of the discussions rather fascinating. :)

Prior to that I was primarily in the Core Forums...

And considering that's from 2007, I'm even more surprised at some of the cynicism many people here have towards Natal.

Regards,
SB

:LOL: Now you know, there are more cool (and old) VR demo videos in this forum.

Silent_Buddha said:
And considering that's from 2007, I'm even more surprised at some of the cynicism many people here have towards Natal.

May be because they/we have already tried the first wave of experiences personally ? and most of what MS showed are relatively old concepts (except for the skeleton generation). It's not difficult to call out their voice concept video either. They need to come up with more specific advantages for the z-camera.

Back