Upgraded 360 with Natal (Rumor)

I personally don't see any serious hardware upgrades happen with Natal - there are no applications now nor on the horizon that suggest this is even necessary for anything. If there are any significant spec-changes, it will mean that Microsoft went ahead with developing an Xbox 720 and launches it together with Natal maybe. Much more likely though we'll see a new SKU for Natal as mentioned by other people with improved built-in storage options.

I think right now though the consensus is that neither consumers nor publishers want the new console cycle to begin, and that the focus is going to be on motion controls first. I would think that means we will see new machines maybe announced in 2012, though release will follow soon after the announcement probably. But we'll see, it could even be later, depending on whether for instance true 3D technology is going to catch on, because I definitely think that Motion Control is going to accellerate the use for that technology, there's also a renewed interest for it coming from the movie industry, etc.

Listening to listen up, first off the man who wrote the article, Sam Kennedy, didn't really speak much about it. I guess this podcast was pre article.

David Ellis and other stated theyve heard of this "iterative" 360, Ellis even claimed 360 games coming out in the near future will look better on it. Thats more evidence it's BS imo, as I think devs would have to know about it now in that case.

Another thing they stated is the idea that the "new" 360 will be this "iterative" 360 packaged with Natal, and simply called Natal. That's the most likely scenario imo. That the "new 360 will just be a slim, or something to that effect. Possibly packaged with flash memory as well. By "superior" hardware, 1up's sources are probably just meaning process shrinks, flash memory, and such, and wires got crossed somewhere. Although Ellis for one is insistent it will actually be more powerful, in a free flowing conversation its difficult to tell how much is simply their opinions only and how much supposedly came from "sources". I suspect the former, all the Listen up crew and particularly Ellis are given to extremely uninformed hardware speculation.

I can see a "slim" type of 360 easily hitting packaged with Natal in 2010, maybe even fall 010. Thats a long way away, and theyll want to cut costs as much as possible and do almost a system relaunch. All that makes perfect sense. But not that it will actually be more powerful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Natal isn't even the product's actual name, it's a code name for the project. I'd expect some more marketing-oriented final name for the actual product.

I've seen some presentation where I work about brands and their strength. Microsoft brand is strong (and costly by the way) I could see Ms sell the natal SKU as "Microsoft Natal" (or whatever is the name they give to the final product. In the casual and non gamer realm Microsoft brand is likely way stronger than "XBOX"

Also, John Davison claimed that the "new" 360 will follow a "new" way of making hardware, iterative, not greatly different, and backwards compatible. With a new method of control.

His trailblazing example? Wii relative to Gamecube, of course.

The race conditions discussion in the GPU vs RAM thread might lead one to believe straight clock increase with BC are impossible..but isn't Wii BC with every GC game? So I guess it's not that much of a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Doesn't the Wii switch into GC mode to play GC games? I've heard that you have to use GC controllers, even a classic controller won't do. Switching into a different mode like the first PS3s did for BC seems counterproductive -- wouldn't it kill the supposed advantage of native 1080p and FPS increases fans are expecting (assuming those things are even possible)?

Ellis even claimed 360 games coming out in the near future will look better on it.

Well this could be possible if, as I speculated somewhere else, MS were to just increase the amound of EDO with a small bump in GPU speed in order to allow MS to require devs to support AA in all titles as was the original idea for the X360.

In that case, devs could, in theory, just put in a simple switch to detect how much EDO is available and enable AA (or 2x -> 4x AA).

It would require minimal work to support improved visuals and there would be no need for having to have different art assets, etc... Although I suppose MS would have to limit use of that extra EDO to AA (or AF?) so that other than increased AA, effects and looks between upgraded and current X360's aren't different.

Do I think it's all that likely? Not really. But it's the scenario that makes the most sense of me if you're going to speculate about an "upgraded" X360.

Regards,
SB

It might mean they have to do QA on more than one platform, no?

Most likely. And another reason I doubt it would happen. I just really don't see any console maker seriously upgrading basic system capabilities mid-life (CPU, RAM, GPU, Bus Speeds, etc.).

Regards,
SB

Most likely. And another reason I doubt it would happen. I just really don't see any console maker seriously upgrading basic system capabilities mid-life (CPU, RAM, GPU, Bus Speeds, etc.).

Regards,
SB
Because as Kaz Irai stated the others consoles doesn't have what it takes to last five more years... :LOL:

Natal isn't even the product's actual name, it's a code name for the project. I'd expect some more marketing-oriented final name for the actual product.
Oh God, I hope it'll not be the same people who are doing their names now. Zune... Bing... WTF?

Somehow, I have a feeling Natal will be better than anything they can do.

Oh God, I hope it'll not be the same people who are doing their names now. Zune... Bing... WTF?

I agree indeed, Microsoft Natal doesn't sound bad actually.

Between hand up for 1UP who managed to create quiet an healthy amount of clics with this rumour and this in a pretty slow period (just after the E3), That's a pretty good job imho, I hope the new writter that pushed out this one will have his prime :LOL:

Heh, I actually think Bing is kinda catchy. Zune just doesn't quite roll off the tongue as well though. Then again iPod was a really awkward name to me when it first came out. :)

It'll certainly be interesting to see what name MS comes up with for Natal...

Regards,
SB

Doesn't the Wii switch into GC mode to play GC games? I've heard that you have to use GC controllers, even a classic controller won't do. Switching into a different mode like the first PS3s did for BC seems counterproductive -- wouldn't it kill the supposed advantage of native 1080p and FPS increases fans are expecting (assuming those things are even possible)?

Probably but Wii wasn't designed for forwards compatibility in mind. That said if you take RE4 for Wii as an example, the Wii version had some graphical improvements over the GC version. I think it would've been trivial for Capcom to make the Wii version playable on a GC if the physical disc size wasn't different.

Updated Xbox360 can be simply Xbox360+ Natal+ 1080p+ AA+AF
The software would be compatible between each other. No fragmentation of the software library or anything. When you play a game on Xbox360 it would be lower resolution and lower quality. On new Xbox it would be 1080p with AA/AF. They can even sell it as Xbox360HD.

I am not saying the rumor is true. It may even be improbable but I don't see why it can't be done.

I personally don't see any serious hardware upgrades happen with Natal - there are no applications now nor on the horizon that suggest this is even necessary for anything. If there are any significant spec-changes, it will mean that Microsoft went ahead with developing an Xbox 720 and launches it together with Natal maybe. Much more likely though we'll see a new SKU for Natal as mentioned by other people with improved built-in storage options.
I think right now though the consensus is that neither consumers nor publishers want the new console cycle to begin, and that the focus is going to be on motion controls first. I would think that means we will see new machines maybe announced in 2012, though release will follow soon after the announcement probably. But we'll see, it could even be later, depending on whether for instance true 3D technology is going to catch on, because I definitely think that Motion Control is going to accellerate the use for that technology, there's also a renewed interest for it coming from the movie industry, etc.

But how does a bigger hdd/ssd, or more flash help implement natal? And if natal can run on the current Xenon without effect to games, then why the whole song and dance about it needing its own processor and memory? It's really a question of does MS offer a builtin natal sku or only offer it as an addon accessory (having a packin sku doesn't change this, it only gives them a money loser sku).

Why would MS do this? To satisfy some technophiliac jerking circle demanding more AF and ever higher shader models?

It will increase costs, fragment the market, frustrate developers and increase the burden on them. Natal is targeting the same people who think Wii Sports is "good enough".

I don't even buy the "lite" version of this theory, which claims that Microsoft will sell the same hardware under a different brand, because Xbox is somehow tainted by association with hardcore gaming. Xbox is a very powerful brand in the US, and growing daily in EU; the Halo/GEars image won't hurt a good product with a clear marketing message more than the violet lunchbox with prancing dinosaurs and plumbers in the previous generation hurt Nintendo with the Wii.

I agree entirely. The whole story is obviously rubbish. Why generate new silicon with all the R&D that entails just for a "small" upgrade to the 360? Why bother developers with a new architecture just as they're getting to grips with this one? Why develop a more expensive machine when making the current one cheaper is the key to profitability or the means in which to get Natal onto the shelves as cheaply as possible? Why fragment your audience just for a small increase in power?

Time for a reality pill, I think.

360 Slim + Natal in a mid-life relaunch? Far more likely.

Back