Unreal Tournament III Discussion *renamed*

i'm very curious as to what the single player campaign will be like. does anyone have any detailed info on the SP campaign? if it has a solid SP campaign, ill definitely pick this up.

nice vid

of all the games (some pretenders) that have been hyped as system saviors for PS3 this past year or two, it'd be foolish to not expect this one to be possibly the biggest seller for a while (and 1st real hit) IMO.

it looks great and the mods and online will drive a community, something that only resistance and now Warhawk have done to any degree so far and where 360 has its bread buttered.

getting the exclusive is a big deal for the platform IMO

Very nice and smooth. I shouldn't ask this as it is Epic but... surely this is on UE3, right? (After the Fatal Inertia stories and general state of UE2.5/3 on PS3 I do wonder.)

I'll pick this up but I have noticed a phenomena with every online shooter I've played. In death matches I always start well but can never maintain the intensity required to finish in the top 3. Majority of the time I finish mid table. :(

I get the feeling that UT3's gameplay might not be right for a gentle soul like me.

Very nice and smooth. I shouldn't ask this as it is Epic but... surely this is on UE3, right? (After the Fatal Inertia stories and general state of UE2.5/3 on PS3 I do wonder.).
of course, this is Epic, the creators of the engine. they optimized the UE3 engine for the PS3 while making the game, i think. and obviously the engine is running great on the PS3, which is good news for PS3 owners.

Like GeoW, it will use UE3. And like GeoW it may not use every UE3 feature & technique.

Like GeoW, it will use UE3. And like GeoW it may not use every UE3 feature & technique.

Like GeoW on 360, it will probably mean that after UT3's release, we'll see a marked improvement of UE3 based games. Unlike GeoW on 360, it will add an extremely interesting new innovation to the console space, namely user mods for a console game. Finally, together with Burnout 5, Warhawk and Resistance, it will, to put it conservatively, put pressure on Microsoft's Live service, as each of these games are doing things that are currently 'problematic' to implement on Live.

Dedicated servers - if that's what you are talking about - are not problematic to do on Live (TDU has them, Frontlines will have them). Only most publishers choose not to put them.

Eveyrthing has same shiny look like all epic games. It has impressive look and everything looks very 3D. But everything is shiny.

It's a UE3 game. UE3 imo is still in the upper echelon of console graphice, but it has certain annoying traits (kind of a "rough" overly textured look) and is no longer the best looking imo.

Still pretty impressive, though.

Poor lighting conditions (not the graphics themselves but the environment in which they were recorded). Also the PS3 version seems to suffer from Aliasing so it looks like console gamers won't be getting the DX10 AA of the PC version.

Im sure that when its released this will be one of the best looking games available on any platform.

It looks extremely jaggy for offscreen footage. Looks good overall, fidelity is worse than in Gears of War but scale is much bigger.

Why is that guy so proud of animations? They are worse than in Halo 3, not to mention Call of Duty 4 or Killzone 2. Though I guess they are good enough for what they are.

It looks extremely jaggy for offscreen footage. Looks good overall, fidelity is worse than in Gears of War but scale is much bigger.

They say they have raised the detail over Gears pretty much across the board. From the better vids I have seen (not this one) im inclined to believe them.

Still im looking forward to doing some head to head comparisons of the PC versions of both games.

OXM did a story a few months ago seeing it running on 360 and said that it was definitely above GeoW in graphic wow factor.

Like GeoW on 360, it will probably mean that after UT3's release, we'll see a marked improvement of UE3 based games.

I am not sure the GeoW parallel works (seeing as the 360 didn't have any full UE3 releases before GeoW). But I would agree, once Epic gets out a fully functional game on UE3 out on the PS3 it will benefit most UE3 PS3 games.

Unlike GeoW on 360, it will add an extremely interesting new innovation to the console space, namely user mods for a console game.
Unlike Gears of War on the 360, UT3 on the PS3 won't sell 4M copies. Games are more than features and check boxes.

Last edited by a moderator:
[modhat]The thread is UE3, and not online services, people. Some of the deleted comments had relevant points, but I chucked the babies out with the bath water. I've guests downstairs to get back to now that file is emailed. If another mod doesn't get round to it, I might revisit this and tidy things up, maybe spawing an online services thread. Until then, please keep this thread on UE3, or start another thread 'Online services - what are the strengths and weaknesses of the different approaches' or somesuch.[/modhat]

Back