Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Well there was that one indie puzzle game made by a single developer but more power to them if they find it useful to create more tech demos ...

Ok, not sure what any of that has to do with colored shadows. Your premise seems to be that nobody will use the nvRTX UE5 branch because it will break their projects. Guess we’ll just have to take your word on that but don't really see the problem with the branch existing. Someone out there likely finds it useful.

Other than the "stained glass window" thing I can't name almost any scenario where you actually see colored shadows as such really.

Well, technically, every glass has some amount of colour tint to it. And as far as I know, most games barely ever do partial shadows for glass anyway, coloured or not, which would be a significant visual upgrade. Sunglasses come to mind, not because they are everywhere, but because when they are somewhere, its right on a character's face, over their eyes...

Also, technically, many kinds of cloth, tarp, plastic wrappings, plastic objects, vegetation do have translucent shadows, but the difference to just opaque shadows are negligeble enough.

Well there was that one indie puzzle game made by a single developer but more power to them if they find it useful to create more tech demos ...
Companies using UE(5) do not care about modern rendering features. They want to create a product. How many AAA UE4 games have Raytracing? Less than Indie games...

Well, technically, every glass has some amount of colour tint to it. And as far as I know, most games barely ever do partial shadows for glass anyway, coloured or not, which would be a significant visual upgrade. Sunglasses come to mind, not because they are everywhere, but because when they are somewhere, its right on a character's face, over their eyes...

Also, technically, many kinds of cloth, tarp, plastic wrappings, plastic objects, vegetation do have translucent shadows, but the difference to just opaque shadows are negligeble enough.

Pretty much all those examples are scattering, you can't get that effect with colored shadows, it'd look like a glitch. You need subsurface scattering to be accounted for in global illumination, which just sounds costly typing it out. Though now that I'm typing it out, if you cache a coherent pass from the light's point of view like with reflective shadow maps, you could read out two sided materials and cache the other side with i/radiance as well.

As for windows and sunglasses, those are handled easily enough with UE's existing Shadow as Masked function,though I don't know if it works with virtualized shadow maps off hand (this would be an oversight if not, smoke definitely needs to cast shadows and looks great with self shadowing).

As for windows and sunglasses, those are handled easily enough with UE's existing Shadow as Masked function,though I don't know if it works with virtualized shadow maps off hand (this would be an oversight if not, smoke definitely needs to cast shadows and looks great with self shadowing).

Honestly, I am not up to date with the current state-of-the art or common practices for translucent shadows not using RT. What are typical solutions? Moment SMs? How many layers? What resolution? Do they use some kind of stocacity?

Honestly, I am not up to date with the current state-of-the art or common practices for translucent shadows not using RT. What are typical solutions? Moment SMs? How many layers? What resolution? Do they use some kind of stocacity?

I've seen moment shadow maps with it a few years ago (pre-pandemic), but it's been a bit since I've looked into it.

I know this may be "old" to some (uploaded 8 months ago) but regardless, it deserves to have another spotlight put on it. It's simply incredible what is possible with Unreal and Metahumans.

Yes, it's a relatively simple scene of 1 character... but my lord.. when I was younger I never would have thought that computer graphics... let alone real-time graphics.. would look like that in my lifetime.

I remember when Nvidia released this tech demo.. this was just 11 years ago.. and it was just a head..

It's absolutely insane how far we've come. Can you imagine with AI, how things will advance in the next 11 years? Crazy stuff.

I know this may be "old" to some (uploaded 8 months ago) but regardless, it deserves to have another spotlight put on it. It's simply incredible what is possible with Unreal and Metahumans.

Yes, it's a relatively simple scene of 1 character... but my lord.. when I was younger I never would have thought that computer graphics... let alone real-time graphics.. would look like that in my lifetime.

I'd not seen that before. Is that really real time? And running on what? It's ridiculously good. Like, bleeding edge movie good.

Yeah, it's incredibly good. There's something subtle about the lip / mouth / jaw movement when saying certain words which still somehow isn't right, like maybe they're a little too closed-jaw with the enunciation. Honestly though, I'm sure I'm hyper-sensitive to it only because I know it's 100% rendered (realtime or otherwise.)

I wager if I showed this to my wife, she shouldn't know it was a purely CGI human face and not just the typical green-screen foreground-human background-CGI we're accustomed to.

That is really rather impressive.

TBH though the thing that threw me off was the lighting. It just doesn't feel cinematic, but neither does it feel like real life.

There should be a whole bunch of C-list actors shitting themselves watching this.

There should be a whole bunch of C-list actors shitting themselves watching this.

It's entirely performance captured, so they'll not be soiling themselves just yet.

On performance capture, 3Lateral, aside from being Metahuman's developers, seem so good at it. Ninja Theory and Kojima Productions are using them on their pending sequels and it really shows.

UE 5.4 should be released, at least in preview around the time of their state of unreal at GDC. Really interested in that presentation to see what future roadmap stuff made it in. Also there's a big fortnite update today, so I'm always curious to see if there are any differences in performance etc.

As good as UE5 is, it didn't blow me away as much as this did back in 2004 (3 years before Crysis!!)

It's funny watching that video now and my first reaction is... light functions and vertex shaders were such a mistake to expose to artists. Still dealing with the fallout today 😂

But as we've discussed now several times in other contexts, if UE had not given artists powerful tools it may not have gotten as popular as it is today. There's always going to be some amount of tradeoff between giving folks flexibility and power, and allowing them to do bad/inefficient stuff.

Last edited:
Back