Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Honestly looks pretty good to me. If something is burning that's producing that black smoke, it's going to be dense. Just maybe unrealistic to be burning something like that in a barrel, unless it's crude oil or something lol.

Reminded me instantly of a tire or tires on fire when I saw it.
While it's not a super common thing to see in a lot of places, a chunk of rubber on fire emits smoke very similar to that.

Black, fluffy, and quite opaque.

1711403595015.jpeg

remember that smoke in the reveal CGI trailer of Hellblade 2, now they might be able to add something with a similar look in the final game !

That’s huge.

Btw how are clothes modeled in UE5? The Marvel 1943 implementation is really good. Are clothes a separate mesh or is it just really good character animation.

The problem isn't really the meshes in isolation, but just how expensive collision is. Switching static collision to SDFs could solve this, SDF collision is really cheap in comparison, and something like the "reference resolution" AMD uses for its SDF "brixellerizer" of 0.05m could give detailed enough collision at low memory usage.

Of course this would be after the entire physics engine is built for SDF collisions, though I think parts of it are? I don't know there, I remember particle collisions at least (it's not the hardest thing to do).

So the Hellblade 2 previews released earlier this morning and they all seem to agree the game looks amazing. But a well known gaming personality on twitter, shinobi602, who also has worked in the games industry and has contacts, said this in the thread..

GKVL-GxXgAAISPV

Now, I'm not going to get massively overhyped... because I think most of us here have a good idea of what to expect from games on this engine.. but The Coalition has always been one of them studios to push Unreal extremely hard and also integrate their own tech..

Apparently Tom Warren and Jeff Grubb have both said they've heard that Gears 6 will be announced/revealed/teased at some point this summer.

Exciting times now that the big boys are readying up to show what this new engine can do.

Gears 4 and 5 were properly optimized DX12 games which ran well on their lowest target XBO h/w.
I definitely wouldn't call them as "pushing Unreal extremely hard" though. On quite the contrary - and due to the main target h/w - they were fairly lite in their graphical workload.

Last edited:
Gears 5 and 6 were properly optimized DX12 games which ran well on their lowest target XBO h/w.
I definitely wouldn't call them as "pushing Unreal extremely hard" though. On quite the contrary - and due to the main target h/w - they were fairly lite in their graphical workload.
Ok, post some games which pushed Unreal harder, ran at 60fps, and looked better.

Or, you know, use box/sphere/capsule collision primitives for high traffic stuff like every other game has for decades.
Yeah I'm a little confused by the complaint to be honest. Complex mesh collision has always been expensive and something you only use in specific places as far as I am aware. Also there's nothing forcing people to use the Nanite fallback mesh as your collision mesh as far as I know. Perhaps folks are just saying it used to be more possible to use the actual mesh geometry for collisions in the past before they got super dense, but honestly in my experience (which is admittedly not an expert in the physics side of game content) I think folks tend to use convex hulls or other similar approximations a lot of the time still rather than actual render mesh collisions.

Gears 5 and 6 were properly optimized DX12 games which ran well on their lowest target XBO h/w.

You mean 4 and 5? Gears 4 looked pretty good on PC. Haven’t seen much of 5.

Neon Giant are making a Deus Ex style game next, so maybe the 'complaint' (because it's not really one) stems from something they're doing with genre.

Ok, post some games which pushed Unreal harder, ran at 60fps, and looked better.
That's a weird line of qualifiers for a game which should be just "pushing Unreal Engine extremely hard".
Off the top of my head though? Something like Ghostrunner or Robocop would be more suitable recent examples.
The Callisto Protocol and Jedi Survivor also push the engine "hard" - the latter one even manages to push it off the cliff really.

You mean 4 and 5?
Doh, of course.

That's a weird line of qualifiers for a game which should be just "pushing Unreal Engine extremely hard".
Off the top of my head though? Something like Ghostrunner or Robocop would be more suitable recent examples.
The Callisto Protocol and Jedi Survivor also push the engine "hard" - the latter one even manages to push it off the cliff really.

Doh, of course.
There's different ways of pushing engines hard. I disagree with Ghostrunner, there's nothing special about it. Robocop is UE5 and not on the last gen consoles.. Jedi Survivor was also not on last gen consoles.

The Callisto Protocol looked like trash on last gen consoles. Horribly low resolutions and reconstruction, textures which wouldn't load and looked terrible even if they did.. They also ran in the mid 20s during cutscenes..

I mean, "pushing the engine hard" is making something which runs well, and looks great for how well it runs.

There's different ways of pushing engines hard.
I mean, "pushing the engine hard" is making something which runs well, and looks great for how well it runs.
You're confusing "pushing hard" and "properly optimizing for a specific target platform".
With Gears 6 likely targeting XSS as its lowest h/w it is highly likely to be similar to both 4 and 5 in how it will approach the use of the engine features.

In terms of visual features, Gears 4 and Gears 5 pushed some high fidelity effects onto UE4, like high quality Depth of Field, and higher forms of screen space reflections, as well as screen space shadows.

Gears 5 even implemented screen space traced global illumination. So they were definitely ahead of the pack of the rest of UE4 titles (apart from ray tracing of course).

Last edited:
Back