Unreal Engine 5, [UE5 Developer Availability 2022-04-05]

Eh, I don't think so. It clearly had plenty of limitations and problems at the time and took quite a few years for everything to not look slimy and/or brown and gray in a lot of ways.

I identify more with the games it was able to bring to bear. And ue4 and 5 are just an out and out upgrade I think over what came before. I can't wait to see what happens when devs really get their arms around ue5.

My main issue with ue5 right now funnily enough is the efficiency of the updates and rapid progress they are making to features. In this kind of environment it's hard for developers to create games with set tools because better systems and improvements are rapidly being created.

Like I don't expect any games to ship with ue5.1 or later features for a few years simply because devs are busy making the games using the first ue5 release. I don't know how hard it is to swap between engine updates(I would hope it would be seamless as a mere update in features?) But major features like nanite foliage definitely won't be something devs who have been making games on ue5 for a while will be able to suddenly go back and make full use of and that will affect those products.

That's what's so exciting! There's a lot of potential there! 😁 Almost negligible asset budget with nanite and automatic ray tracing with lumen? Automatic resolution reconstruction without needing to beg devs to implement FSR2 or DLSS in individual titles or worry about badly implemented alternate performance saving techniques? Bring it on I say! 😂

In my opinion, UE5 will play a much more important role in the gaming industry than most people thought about it. It is even conceivable that the majority of games will run on this engine in the coming years. From a developer's point of view, this game engine makes game development much easier in the modern era, at least compared to the engines of the last one or two years that have been used so far. It puts a truly comprehensive and easy-to-use option in the hands of developers. And the fact that it continues to develop over time is only a good thing. I think it is possible to solve the installation of the features of newer versions very quickly.

Shifty did you seriously mention that thread without a link, I just spent minutes searching 😂
Why aren't you subscribed to it?! One of the most exciting things I've seen for a while. ;)

Anyway, turns out I'm lying on two counts. It's not in that thread, probably in this one, or a different VR thread. But also I've recalled it's not UE5 abilities that don't work, but eye-tracked foveated rendering. UE5 works in VR...

So the challenge is getting it performant enough for PS5 without foveated rendering to help, which should be the case for simple scenes?

Epic documentation that I remember, so I'm not a complete faker. https://docs.unrealengine.com/5.1/en-US/xr-performance-features-in-unreal-engine/

Last edited:

Future Chinese game using Unreal engine 5 and cloud rendering

WELL-LINK has announced China's first cinematic graphic game that is entirely cloud-based, The Grass of Genesis, developed with Unreal Engine 5. The game is very similar to Tomb Raider. The company is known for collaborating in the cloud version of Genshin Impact. The Grass of Genesis has a storage of 10G resources per minute on the cloud service and achieves 8K resolution, 120hz refresh rate, with Dolby surround sound. Impressive Graphics with advanced real-time cloud rendering technology!

Last edited:
The interesting thing about PSVR2 is it has the hardware for foveated rendering, and about VR in general is just how much work you can share between both eyes.

Given the investment Sony's made in Epic, I'd expect to see foveated rendering and things like RESTIR shared between each view/diffuse shading and reflection reprojection/etc. over time. Theoretically a lot can be done, solid quality Lumen and such don't seem out of the question at all.

Back