Unreal 3 engine & Nv40 at GDC2004

John Reynolds said:
Bjorn said:
I certainly hope so. Mostly because the Unreal Engine is popular among RPG developers and i'm a huge RPG fan myself.

Slightly OT, but speaking of upcoming RPGs using advanced engines, Troika's Vampire: Bloodlines is using Valve's Source engine. I just got the latest issue of CGW in the mail yesterday and it has a 3-page preview of the game and it looks incredible. And Arx Fatalis 2 will also use Source.

Slightly OT back atcha, do you forsee the possibility that a game using the Source engine could be released before Half-life2 is?

digitalwanderer said:
Slightly OT back atcha, do you forsee the possibility that a game using the Source engine could be released before Half-life2 is?
Last I heard, HL2 was slated for the summer. . . That's not too far away.

Rookie said:
Hi,It's not only run on NV40,R420 is also involved the UT war,I just wondering would UT2006 still to be a TWIMTB game or not :LOL:

Quote from Gamespot:

"Epic ran the demonstration on a system with a 2Ghz CPU from AMD using next-generation hardware from Nvidia (a system in another room ran the demonstration using next-generation ATI hardware). "

Hmmm... now we just need to find somebody who saw both and ask him about speed difference...

GameCat said:
6000 tris per character? That isn't even high by todays standard. There are PS2 games that use twice that for characters for christ sake.

Just as a point of reference....

Epic tells the mod teams to keep UT2k4 models charactors to under 2k polys and weapon models under 1k polys which was the same that we did for UT2k3. Again just as an FYI

Ostsol said:
digitalwanderer said:

Yeah, and before that the last I heard was Sept 30th... :rolleyes: ;)

Like I was asking, any chance of a Source powered game being released before HL2? Or will Valve be able to "hold back" any such release 'til they get their baby out the door?

jb said:
Epic tells the mod teams to keep UT2k4 models charactors to under 2k polys and weapon models under 1k polys which was the same that we did for UT2k3. Again just as an FYI

And it looks it!

T2k said:
Rookie said:
Hi,It's not only run on NV40,R420 is also involved the UT war,I just wondering would UT2006 still to be a TWIMTB game or not :LOL:

Quote from Gamespot:

"Epic ran the demonstration on a system with a 2Ghz CPU from AMD using next-generation hardware from Nvidia (a system in another room ran the demonstration using next-generation ATI hardware). "

Hmmm... now we just need to find somebody who saw both and ask him about speed difference...

Yeah I wanna know!

And why is the headline NV40 and Unreal3-engine, as it was also show on R420 hardware, was it to fast on ATI's or has their Pr more money?

Valve just released some of the mod tools for HL2 (special version of SOFTIMAGE) hopefully the game will follow soon!

Ostsol said:
digitalwanderer said:

My local videogame retailer said June was the last firm date they received a couple of months ago, and there has been no chatter regarding a pushback. Here's hoping. :)

digitalwanderer said:
Yeah, and before that the last I heard was Sept 30th... :rolleyes: ;)

Like I was asking, any chance of a Source powered game being released before HL2? Or will Valve be able to "hold back" any such release 'til they get their baby out the door?

Shhhhhhh! don't jinx it! :)

Skinner said:
Yeah I wanna know!

And why is the headline NV40 and Unreal3-engine, as it was also show on R420 hardware, was it to fast on ATI's or has their Pr more money?

Maybe because they only saw the version running on NV40, since the other one running on R4xx was in another room...

jb said:

Epic tells the mod teams to keep UT2k4 models charactors to under 2k polys

But the Unreal engine still does not use vertex shaders, so that they want to keep polycounts low has most likely a big performance reason. More polys = bigger CPU load...

And "summer" release date for HL2... Could mean end of august for all we know, maybe end of september even if one means summer quarter. It's all very nebulous.

digitalwanderer said:
Or will Valve be able to "hold back" any such release 'til they get their baby out the door?

Yes, that will be in the licensing agreement (to a point).

Though this is of course subject to change but Troika is adamant that Bloodlines will ship this fall (October-ish or so), so if true that does mean we'll see HL2 by at least late summer or early fall. The current scuttle-butt is that Troika has removed all multiplay from their game to make the ship date, though this isn't confirmed/announced yet.

Bjorn said:
Ok, "a company that is run by former Black Isle guys that made awesome games like Planescape torment, Baldurs Gate 1-2.... that got the contract from Bioware" then :) (if i'm not mistaken)

Heh, I know. Obsidian, IMO, is now the premiere developers when it comes to RPG in-house talent, so I expect KotOR 2 to be an awesome game.

If I had a place to slap the pics from the CGW preview up online I'd scan them tonight. One is just mind-blowing (at least to mine eyes).

Guden Oden said:
jb said:

Epic tells the mod teams to keep UT2k4 models charactors to under 2k polys

But the Unreal engine still does not use vertex shaders, so that they want to keep polycounts low has most likely a big performance reason. More polys = bigger CPU load...
Only if their alternative to vertex shaders is software T&L. . . :p Somehow, I don't think that's likely. It definitely uses Hardware T&L (when available). There's no need to go to a software vertex-processing method as everything that UT2003/2004 needs can be done by existing fixed function technology.

london-boy said:
Skinner said:
Yeah I wanna know!

Maybe because they only saw the version running on NV40, since the other one running on R4xx was in another room...

Why didn't they entered the R420's room instead of the NV40 room :D jk.

Well I hope w'll know the comparison sometime.

Here is a link to november 2002 Unreal Engine Technology demo
showed in the presentation of geforcefx. A long time has passed
since then, so now it must be much better.8)
Unreal_GFFX_01-450.jpg

This next link is the big size image.
http://www.guru3d.com/tech/geforcefx/img/Games/Unreal_GFFX_01.jpg

Back