Unreal 3 engine & Nv40 at GDC2004

John Reynolds said:
If I had a place to slap the pics from the CGW preview up online I'd scan them tonight. One is just mind-blowing (at least to mine eyes).

I already have them on my PC, which would you like me to post?

Dural said:
John Reynolds said:
If I had a place to slap the pics from the CGW preview up online I'd scan them tonight. One is just mind-blowing (at least to mine eyes).

I'm trying to get some unreleased images, like those from GDC.

Gawd... sometimes I wish developers don't know I'm with a "press/media website"... that kind of precludes a lot of stuff that developers would like to send to me on a personal basis....

Evildeus said:
So do we know which was faster? I've got hint that it was the NV40, but ...

haha evil i was told it was the other way around . Alll i know is i wont be playing that game on either card :)

Why? I said that the hints were not much reliable, but that doesn't mean that they don't exist. You are saying that i'm interpreting, which is false (other people are, but that's not my problem)

What do you guys expected how this engine will match up against the Serious Sam 2 engine?

That promo video looks amazing :oops:

goofer456 said:
What do you guys expected how this engine will match up against the Serious Sam 2 engine?

That promo video looks amazing :oops:

The new Unreal Engine is DX9 as bare minimum and made for titles released at the end of 2005 and up so i would guess that it's a bit more advanced then the SS2 engine.

no one has posted the rest of the quote
Even with that powerful silicon, the demonstration struggled at times. However, it's clear that this technology will be used to power the next generation of PC games, as well as games for the upcoming generation of video game consoles. And if these games can look anywhere near as good as what we saw in today's demonstration, the future could look stunning, indeed.

;)

Now would this have been due to the processor or the nV40? Because they dont really state what type of 2GHz AMD they are using, XP, MP or 64

John Reynolds said:
Dural said:

The top pic from page 32 would be great.

Vampire4.jpg

The fire looks like crap though. Looks like they're using billboard sprites, they need to be using depth sprites (see ATI's demo) so that the intersection of the fire and the ceiling and floor looks better.

Not just the fire, the whole thing looks pretty craptastic. Note the triangle "feet" in the shadows.. the gun also looks like a glossy paper cutout. I wish someo f these damn artists would realize that "more shiny" doesn't mean "better" -- EQ2 is quite guilty of this. Edit: yeah, I know it's a scan of a magazine, no need to point that out if anyone was planning to :)

Yeah, but EQ2 has atleast one excuse: most of the characters are wearing metal armor. :)

As for the shiny heads on monsters, maybe they've got a problem with their oil glands? :)

Back