Uncharted : Drake's Fortune*

Giving developers money rather than shop owners is the way forward.
Rentals do include a payment to the publisher. I've no ideas on the details, but this was touched on before, I think in a discussion on used games. But yes, consideration for the developers should come into it. Playing Uncharted even just once is at least as good value as going to cinema in terms of pounds per hour. Cheapskates like me like games with lots of longevity and don't go tot the cinema much as they think it costs the earth!, but for most folk if you like going to the flicks, value-wise even short single-player titles are good value (excluding cost of hardware, which actually seriously screws with per hour entertainment value. I mean, £300 of console hardware is quite an investment up front and you'd want a good ROI on that to balance out with the economics of doing other fun stuff instead.)

I like Uncharted as just a single player game. MP would've been a nice addition but the SP is what this game really was about and definitely gives it that excellent cinematic experience that I love.

Rentals do include a payment to the publisher. I've no ideas on the details, but this was touched on before, I think in a discussion on used games. But yes, consideration for the developers should come into it. Playing Uncharted even just once is at least as good value as going to cinema in terms of pounds per hour. Cheapskates like me like games with lots of longevity and don't go tot the cinema much as they think it costs the earth!, but for most folk if you like going to the flicks, value-wise even short single-player titles are good value (excluding cost of hardware, which actually seriously screws with per hour entertainment value. I mean, £300 of console hardware is quite an investment up front and you'd want a good ROI on that to balance out with the economics of doing other fun stuff instead.)

Why would you buy a console and not buy the best looking game on it to show it off? I have no idea why people wouldn't buy Uncharted JUST for that - 10minute demos to other people. You happen to get a lengthy replayable game as well.

I always thought games should be 10hours long...I have no idea where this mindset that games should be 60hours long to be worth a purchase, came from.

Rent a game if it's crap. Rent a game if it's as long as a movie (3hours). Rent a game to test it. And buy less cookies.

Oh and I'm glad the publishers get some money from rentals. Would be nice if the devs did too ;)

Does the terrain texture change like motorstorm when you walk in the mud?

No, but from Evan's comments at Sony Gamer's Day, I think they intended to.

How many times can most people replay it? Maybe twice. And it's a short game on top of that. Online and/or co op would add more replay value. It's an ideal rental.
its not short, its typical for the genre.

personally, i beat it 3 times, but i continue to go back to in once in a while because its great demo material and its fun and nice to look at.

It's one of the few games that warrant putting 60 dollars down for it IMHO. Second best game of the generation for me personally after Mass Effect.
My sentiments exactly. Mass Effect, Uncharted, and Halo 3 are my 3 top games of this generation so far. I've never played Halo 3 multiplayer, so yes I did actually enjoy the single player.

To say it's not worth 60 dollars is like me saying COD4 isn't worth 60 dollars. It may not be worth that to me since I never play console games online, but at least I can recognize that it's indeed worth the money for fans of that genre.

A short game? It's 10-12hours. You can play through it around 3 times. Moreover, you'll show it off everytime someone new sees your PS3. Over in the UK at least renting games is rare. And I think that's a good thing. Giving developers money rather than shop owners is the way forward. Then again, there's a lot of used game sales going on.

I don't understand the renting of quality, good length games. I'd rent a game to see if I liked it, and if I did I'd buy it. Or I'd rent a game I thought might not be very good.

Oh and I'd say ND put a hell of a lot of replay into Uncharted - all the new options you can gain, a hard mode, a incredibly difficult crushing mode, new rendering, a mirrored world - which turns every level back to front, actually making it feel completely new (enemies come from different locations etc.). You can play through Uncharted again and again and it will still feel fresh. There's other SP games that could only dream of this replay value. I won't name names.

Uncharted offers very little replayability in my book.

It took me 9 hours to finish on hard. It will take about the same for the "crushing"
difficulty (atleast right now im going way faster than i did on "hard".

The rest is just different skins you can play with and different color filters, which is worthless. It adds amusement for 10 seconds. Replaying the game with the mirrored world, just gives you a worse singleplayer experience than a normal game would, neither the AI or the gameplay is good enough to justify my time, certainly not when im just replaying maps.

Even thought i hated gears of wars, i would say that one offers more as it has Co-Op atleast. Coop is a reason for replayability in my book. Multiplayer is ofcourse a whole different aspect we wont get into here.

With Uncharted only offering the same 10 hours of singleplayer experience, while good, the small bonuses that offers you different skins to play through the game, and a couple different rendering modes, imo doesn't give it that much replayability.

Your still playing the exact same thing over and over again, it doesn't offer much fresh except for the chance to make the enemies spawn in different locations.

It took me 9 hours to finish on hard. It will take about the same for the "crushing"

The rest is just different skins you can play with and different color filters, which is worthless. It adds amusement for 10 seconds. Replaying the game with the mirrored world, just gives you a worse singleplayer experience than a normal game would, neither the AI or the gameplay is good enough to justify my time, certainly not when im just replaying maps.

Even thought i hated gears of wars, i would say that one offers more as it has Co-Op atleast. Coop is a reason for replayability in my book. Multiplayer is ofcourse a whole different aspect we wont get into here.

With Uncharted only offering the same 10 hours of singleplayer experience, while good, the small bonuses that offers you different skins to play through the game, and a couple different rendering modes, imo doesn't give it that much replayability.

Your still playing the exact same thing over and over again, it doesn't offer much fresh except for the chance to make the enemies spawn in different locations.

It's not about different spawn points but the player taking fewer shots and giving the enemy AI more opportunities to flank and overrun, it changes the player's tactics quite a bit.

You must feel like that about all single player games then...I thought the bonuses were neat and I am currently but slowly playing through my second time.

For a SP game Uncharted gives you a lot of replayability.

So finally i saw the game to the end... and i didn´t even play it myself :)

A friend of mine play it when he was visiting so i kind a watched a action/adventure movie. Now when the game is done i must say it´s better than i expected when "we" were halfway through.

The autosave are pretty well done, the small puzzels are easy and graphics are some of best i have ever seen not to mention the sound and soundtrack, it looked and sounded like a big budget movie. I like the story, you have expectations about the different chars, but the story twists it a little, you might say X will do this, and then later X does exactly as expected only to return later in an unexpected way.

The last twists and turns in the story works just as well as the first. The main char himself has a nice ironic distance to everything and is a bit of a "fool" without being stupid. Way better hero than most other games in this genre where it´s a man hanged like a horse that kills everything with one finger while he has 3 woman under his left arm, in bikini.

Playtime were around 12 hours on normal (or is it called easy?). Worth all the money i paid and then some.

The dialogue does not feel forced or "gaming like" and sometimes causes a little smile and a laugh.

If i could ask for anything from a follow up it would be, more free roaming adventuring so you could really suck up the amazing environment, more puzzles, maybe even with a bit of going back and forth in between the different settings. I would hope the same Jungle enviroment would return, but at the same time i would really like to see this engine flex is muscles on something else, like a old western city or mountain city.

The last twists and turns in the story works just as well as the first.

Yeah, I like the twist myself because all of a sudden it's a different game, and relationships were reconfigured somewhat when sh*t hit the fan.

The main char himself has a nice ironic distance to everything and is a bit of a "fool" without being stupid.

Yes, I remember the part where Elena and Sully told Nate to be careful, and he scorned, "I am always careful". Then he turned around and hit the low hanging door arch. "Ow ! I did not see that...". It brought a smile to my face. :)

I was a little surprised Sully didn't point at Nate's face and laugh 'coz my friends were all over the floor when I hit a lamp post.

I got the album off of itunes, it's so totally worth it.
Indifferent2.gif

So finally i saw the game to the end... and i didn´t even play it myself :)

A friend of mine play it when he was visiting so i kind a watched a action/adventure movie. Now when the game is done i must say it´s better than i expected when "we" were halfway through.

The autosave are pretty well done, the small puzzels are easy and graphics are some of best i have ever seen not to mention the sound and soundtrack, it looked and sounded like a big budget movie. I like the story, you have expectations about the different chars, but the story twists it a little, you might say X will do this, and then later X does exactly as expected only to return later in an unexpected way.

The last twists and turns in the story works just as well as the first. The main char himself has a nice ironic distance to everything and is a bit of a "fool" without being stupid. Way better hero than most other games in this genre where it´s a man hanged like a horse that kills everything with one finger while he has 3 woman under his left arm, in bikini.

Playtime were around 12 hours on normal (or is it called easy?). Worth all the money i paid and then some.

The dialogue does not feel forced or "gaming like" and sometimes causes a little smile and a laugh.

If i could ask for anything from a follow up it would be, more free roaming adventuring so you could really suck up the amazing environment, more puzzles, maybe even with a bit of going back and forth in between the different settings. I would hope the same Jungle enviroment would return, but at the same time i would really like to see this engine flex is muscles on something else, like a old western city or mountain city.

I wonder if Hennig and Lemarchand were just itching to put some puzzles in there but didn't go as far because they wanted to keep that accessibility, they had some really awesome puzzles/puzzle-bosses in Soul Reaver, I would like to see them let loose a bit in terms of puzzles.

Back