Uncharted 4: A Thief's End [PS4]

Status
Not open for further replies.
ND has always been pretty clear about their cinematics, that they're rendered on consoles but with higher quality settings than the actual ingame stuff. I'm sure there's a Sony PR push not to talk about whether UC4 is realtime or not but they're not lying about it at all. It is in-engine, it's just - quite probably - not at realtime settings. Does not matter much, the quality of the assets, animation and effects are obviously very high nonetheless.

I'm not aware of any games using displacements and displaced wrinkle maps; it might happen eventually but ISS and this trailer shows that developers can get very far with more detailed models and blended normal maps.
The original MotorStorm had very good mud displacement effects but I can't recall how their achieved the effect.

Their cutscenes have never been realtime, always fmv, i'm sure it will be the same for uncharted 4.
Even if its done with the game engine, as long as its not realtime (like say RE5) it does not impress me.

I'm not aware of any games using displacements and displaced wrinkle maps; it might happen eventually but ISS and this trailer shows that developers can get very far with more detailed models and blended normal maps. I do know about one game that uses blendshapes and tessellation, though, but can't tell which one :)

The rest of the stuff in this trailer is probably realized with some very high quality effects work, the water splashes for example must be done with alpha mapped particles and some sort of proceduralism. Getting this stuff to look like the "real thing" (proper volumetrics and fluids) has to be pretty damn hard.
Are you referring to the wrinkles in the faces? If I remember correctly it was first done by Half-Life 2 in 2004. This much added to the expressions on Alyx's face. I know lots of games that have been using this wrinkle technique since. Other than its use on the faces and skin, the FIFA series has been using this normal map blending to fake folds in the clothes of players. This was also used in later R.A.G.E. games specifically: Red Dead Redemption (was also used to fake muscle flexing on horses), Max Payne 3 and GTA V.

I think you're absolutely right about the water splash part. Fluid simulation in such a big environment would have really taxed the GPU (assuming they were using a GPGPU method of simulating fluids).

The original MotorStorm had very good mud displacement effects but I can't recall how their achieved the effect.

There was no actual geometry deformation on the ground surface. It was achieved through normal maps if I recall. The ground was flat and the illusion broke once you placed the camera parallel to the ground

Snow/sand levels in virtua fighter 4-5 had the same technique we see in this trailer i guess.

It looks similar in princible but I am not sure its the same technique. In VF the ground was deforming but it wasnt as convincing because you just saw trail and hill formation. In this trailer you can see volume moving and shifting even though subtle as if the ground is indeed made out of little sand particles. Very convincing how they did it

I just saw a big hump appear when Drake got to his feet. Didn't see any particles moving or small mounds, and certainly no volume shifting. That said, ND had that sand tech working in U3.

I just saw a big hump appear when Drake got to his feet. Didn't see any particles moving or small mounds, and certainly no volume shifting. That said, ND had that sand tech working in U3.

I wasnt talking about the bump under his body. It was the sand moving near his hand when he moved it. It was very very subtle. It was more apparent in the video that somone modified its saturation to look like its daylight

edit:
Near the :24 second mark near his elbow when he reaches for the gun
I did not imply particle movement. I implied that the effect is convincing as if it is made of sand particles.

Near the :24 second mark near his elbow when he reaches for the gun
I did not imply particle movement. I implied that the effect is convincing as if it is made of sand particles.
Okay. There's some movement there. Looking at the sand overall though, such as the hole left by the gun when it's taken, it doesn't look at all convincing as wet sand. Looks pretty much like a textured mesh to me. They could be using a number of techniques from procedural deformation to prebaked, so we can't really take anything from such minutiae critique.

There you go, confirmed all real time on running on PS4 even though they call it in engine. I guess they'll render all the cutscenes realtime this time to save space which makes sense.
GamingBolt’s Leonid Melikov bumped into Naughty Dog’s Studio Coordinator Rodney Reece and Lead FX Artist Keith Guerrette. Although we were not able to conduct a full fledged interview with them, the duo were able to confirm a few interesting points about the trailer for Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End.

They confirmed to us that the Uncharted 4 trailer showcased during Sony’s E3 2014 press conference was a part of an actual level in game. Secondly, they also confirmed that the entire trailer was running in real time on the PlayStation 4 and it was all in-engine.
http://gamingbolt.com/uncharted-4s-...an-actual-level-in-the-game-was-all-in-engine
What a godsend beast ND is...sweet jeezuz.

There was no actual geometry deformation on the ground surface. It was achieved through normal maps if I recall. The ground was flat and the illusion broke once you placed the camera parallel to the ground

It seems to me that they're not using normal maps to fake mesh deformation. Like I said earlier, they must have made two different meshes (for cutscene purposes), one for before he reached for his pistol and the second one for after he grabbed it.

Naughty Dog has been known to release assets captured from host PlayStation hardware - just like this trailer - but often these videos are not generated in real time - hence the now infamous yet still rather brilliant Uncharted 3 demo running at 60fps along with the initial PS3 Last of Us video trailer. In short, the practise of rendering out offline video from the PS4 as opposed to capturing it in real-time allows developers to massively ramp up image quality with often insane levels of anti-aliasing, ironing out frame-rate dips at the same time.

A quick look at the Naughty Dog blog says that this is "in-engine" footage running on PlayStation 4 hardware - a stunning demonstration of what the new technology is capable of, but missing the all-important phrase: real-time.

The Uncharted 4 trailer runs at 1080p and 60 frames per second, but Naughty Dog has confirmed that it's 'in-engine' PS4 footage, suggesting it is not running in real-time.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-uncharted-4-and-the-last-of-us-at-60-fps

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back