Uncharted 3

Also, re the comment about Uncharted platfoming being a QTE in diguise, i disagree. It's hyperbolic and disingenuous.

You're right. Most QTEs at least require some amount of reflexes and timing.

ND tends to go on and on about Uncharted's "three pillars of gameplay", when it's actually only one pillar with some throwaway stuffing at the sides.

There's plenty of platforming in U3, and since none of it is engaging in the slightest, quite a few people regard this as a negative. I don't want a different game. I just want a better one. Leaping across a seemingly bottomless chasm should never ever feel casual, let alone boring. Calling out a dull mechanic for what it is seems fair to me.
After all people also complain about the combat in Tomb Raider games, and Tomb Raider in general has far fewer combat situations than Uncharted has platforming sequences.

Assassins Creed is an entirely different beast altogether. Climbing and platforming in that game is akin to driving around in your car in GTA. Getting from point A to be B is easy. The actual challenge is to reach your destination in the quickest and most elegant way possible. Besides, the game's platforming mechanics are usually put to fairly good use in the game's many platforming focused interior environments.

Aren't you now substituting all of the running, jumping and climbing you do in this game with the non-combat related climbing parts of the game? Because while I agree that the game has a number of practically on-rails climbing sections (which still often serve a really good purpose story-wise, mind you, but not always), there is also free jumping and climbing that happens during combat / stealth, and that involves mostly the same mechanics. I have been playing some more of the chateau levels on Hard yesterday, and now that I'm more often actually forced to be stealthy, I enjoy it all the more. The AI is great now too - "There's a dead body here!", "Where did he go?", "Hunt him down!", etc. Very satisfying to figure out a good strategy, and it always involves climbing, hiding, jumping, etc.

Mind you, some of that platforming has firm roots in the later editions of the Prince of Persia series, so all respect there, but on the other hand I really enjoy the dynamic animations of Uncharted. But I had a similar feeling after Infamous 2: Festival of Blood, that I really enjoy the more dynamic platforming in that game. I'd defintely wouldn't mind having a mixture of Uncharted and Infamous 2 for the next Uncharted in that regard, and while we're at it I'll gladly have Infamous 2's excellent Move support in Uncharted as well. :p

Aren't you now substituting all of the running, jumping and climbing you do in this game with the non-combat related climbing parts of the game? Because while I agree that the game has a number of practically on-rails climbing sections (which still often serve a really good purpose story-wise, mind you, but not always), there is also free jumping and climbing that happens during combat / stealth, and that involves mostly the same mechanics. I have been playing some more of the chateau levels on Hard yesterday, and now that I'm more often actually forced to be stealthy, I enjoy it all the more. The AI is great now too - "There's a dead body here!", "Where did he go?", "Hunt him down!", etc. Very satisfying to figure out a good strategy, and it always involves climbing, hiding, jumping, etc.

Mind you, some of that platforming has firm roots in the later editions of the Prince of Persia series, so all respect there, but on the other hand I really enjoy the dynamic animations of Uncharted. But I had a similar feeling after Infamous 2: Festival of Blood, that I really enjoy the more dynamic platforming in that game. I'd defintely wouldn't mind having a mixture of Uncharted and Infamous 2 for the next Uncharted in that regard, and while we're at it I'll gladly have Infamous 2's excellent Move support in Uncharted as well. :p

Arwin would you mind elaborating on this a bit more. I've yet to play InFamous 2:FOB yet so i don't know how platforming is handled in that game.

I'm also curious as to what these "on-rails" plaforming sections are in Uncharted that folks seem to always refer to as being the lion's share of the platforming. For example, when i think about stuff like the tibetan mountains levels of Uncharted 2, and even the Shipyard of Uncharted 3, i wouldn't say that any of that could even be remotely considered as on-rails. If you're talking about the bits in the cruise ship when the spaces are tight and the ship is being tossed and turned, then i can see what you mean, but then those are few and far between and don't even make up the bulk of the platforming sections in Uncharted games.

Uncharted basically treats its platforming as a vehicle to get you from one gun-fight/puzzle/cut-scene to the next. I would say in exactly the same way as platforming in Assasin's creed is there to take you from point A to B. Making the platforming sections more non-linear, or the actual mechanics more manual (they actually are fairly manual anyway, despite the hyperbole you read on the internet), would affect other parts of the game like the pacing, level design etc, and ultimately change the game.

I don't think i want core Uncharted games to be too different from what they are in terms of platforming. The mechanics can be tightened a little, but all in all I'm happy with that side of the gameplay, but that's just me. Sure the games can be more open, allowing for more space to navigate, more secret areas and divergent paths. But making the platforming more timing/reflex-based would make it harder and ultimately more frustrating when you really only want to go from point A to point B, whilst being shot at along the way.

That's my two cents anyway.

Follow up to Sands of Time ...

Which reminds me - the PSP ports of the Prince of Persia games were actually quite good. Only downsides were load-times, really. They would run quite well on Vita I expect, and if they can make it so that it supports the second analog stick that would make it even better.

@messyman: that sucks! Hearing you have a 40GB, it's likely to be your BD laser acting up, or do you have a proper ylod? Laser tends to be less 'final' an issue.
I have no idea what is the problem.
The system shut down while playing U3 and now it doesn't want to turn back on.
Oh well, I've always wanted a slim PS3 so this is a good excuse to get one.

:cry: Slims are much quieter though! But this gen has been much more expensive than others due to the need to buy replacement consoles.

When it doesn't turn back on, does it turn on, flash the yellow light, and die again, or doesn't anything happen at all?

When it doesn't turn back on, does it turn on, flash the yellow light, and die again, or doesn't anything happen at all?

My fat PS3 died similarly when I was playing Uncharted 2. Probably the series requires so much power to perform those gorgeous visual feats that the console simply kicks the bucket before it screams "THATS TOO MUCH FOR ME TOO HANDLE GO GET A PS5 OR SOMETHING" :p

My PS3 is on it's deathbed too so I wont get to play this game for a while :\ If I even decide to fix/replace it.

Regarding the platforming, it was so hilarious to see Drake jump on and of a Truck and then his Horse (who apparently runs at a speed faster than the trucks). Amazing level but looks very stupid, something akin to the Uncharted 2 truck chase level would've made more sense.

Regarding the platforming, it was so hilarious to see Drake jump on and of a Truck and then his Horse (who apparently runs at a speed faster than the trucks). Amazing level but looks very stupid, something akin to the Uncharted 2 truck chase level would've made more sense.

Found my U3 disc last night.

Horses can gallop up to 50mph I think but not for long. Driving a truck on a sandy road @ 50mph may be scary. I agree it doesn't feel realistic (The horses are too brave), but I don't care ! I :love: that part. ^_^

Man I'm loving the campaign. It mixes the gameplay much more than previous Uncharted games. The story is better than ever and the animations and voice acting are excellent. Unless this game turns to shit over the last few chapters, this is my GOTY.

And dem graphics. :oops: The only issue I have is the aliasing in some levels is pretty bad, but it's pretty rare.

And dem graphics. :oops: The only issue I have is the aliasing in some levels is pretty bad, but it's pretty rare.

I played it in 3D yesterday. At first, it looks just OK. KZ3 has more pronounced 3D effect. When I got to Chaper 4, the
forest looks amazing ! Much better than KZ3 jungle
. I would love to visit the real location if there is one.

The Hard Co-op Adventures remain tough as hell after the control patch. You can tell people try very hard to clear the levels, but the computer bested us. It looks like I have to use the kickbacks to help my team. I have been ignoring these perks.

Man I'm loving the campaign. It mixes the gameplay much more than previous Uncharted games. The story is better than ever and the animations and voice acting are excellent. Unless this game turns to shit over the last few chapters, this is my GOTY.

Oh believe me it only gets better and better.

Oh believe me it only gets better and better.
Omg, you weren't kidding! The last half of the game is literally a nail biter.

I can honestly say that this is the best single player campaign I've played this generation, if not ever. ND are seriously geniuses.
Best way I can describe it is, it's like you're playing very good and polished game and watching a very good film at the same time. That's not to say that there's relatively few gameplay parts (far from it). It's just very well done.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back