Uncharted 3

Patch note:

Uncharted 3 – Patch 1.02

Single Player

General

Movie cutscene viewer added (in the Bonuses menu, Single-Player only)

Technical

Fixed the missing Motion Blur effects (for Single Player only)
“Alternate Aim Settings” added to the Options menu under Camera options (for Single Player only)

Multiplayer

General

Settings bug fixed: all controls being set to flipped mode setting will no longer change all controls back to default

Gameplay

Medal streaks won’t reset if the host migrates to another user
Blindfire targeting adjusted so that opposing players past a certain vertical angle above and below won’t be hit.
Allow grenade throw while scoped
Tuned Pull Down range from 1.5 meters to 2.0 meters
Lowered the player running speed when players run ‘n gun by approximately 15%
Slightly increased the turn radius of run ‘n gun
Slightly decreased the turning speed during Sprint

Technical

Fixed an infrequent hunter spawning issue in Hunter Arena when the match round switches
Fixed several cinema crashes
Locked fast-forwarding on convoy sequence in Airstrip TDM and train sequence on London Underground TDM to 3x maximum in Cinema Mode
Fixed certain cameras in Kick Offs and Pull Downs
Fixed a late join skin bug with locked content
Fixed a split-screen Buddy treasure pickup bug
Fixed duplicate medal problem causing bad tabulation of a few medals to the player’s career stats

User Interface

Objective points now show up in the player’s Competitive statistics tab instead of the Cooperative statistics tab
Added a Facebook Sign Out option
Added the Add Friend functionality in the Facebook tab
Fixed voice icon for mics not appearing in Matchmaking lobby
Adding missing weapon stats tracking for certain weapons that were not being recorded to the player stats
Fix for not displaying the entire Online ID within the “Players” column of any leaderboard.
Fix for a user having an online ID containing fifteen or more characters created in uppercase format and actively using a voice comm device.

Server

Matchmaking now waits for double the number of players in the biggest party in the room to be present before starting a game (to prevent parties from being split frequently)
Players no longer able to join party that is already in Matchmaking

patch said motion blur only apply to SP, but that is not true according to many ppl. MP also get the same treatment, which is nice.

This weekend, I had a chance to put in a few other games, among which were Tomb Raider Legend (of the HD classic disk) and Skyrim. Playing them briefly made me aware how good Naughty Dog are and how brilliant their games are.

We might be critical of the latest story that is built arond hollywood style blockbuster set-pieces or the gimmicky platforming (that's just too forgiving), but in the end, it's still easy, fun and rock-solid. The engine is good that you seldomly get stuck in objects and the gameplay is just guided very well.

Bravo.

I've been on with the original control scheme in U3, never had any issues, but I must say, the alternative method is much nicer, especially where diagnol movement is concerned. Also great to see the fabulous motion blur back in action!

I personally like Uncharted the way it is.

I'm up to chapter 10 or so and the game is really picking up. A lot of the first few chapters were like interactive cutscenes, but I think they're there for you to get accustomed to the controls.

The story telling in the cutscenes is very well done and they mix in just enough gameplay. So far, this has been the best Uncharted in every way (except the controls, but I haven't tried the patched controls yet). Really great game.

Ew, no, UC doesn't need to go open-world. Rather, Naughty Dog needs to sit down with PoP:SoT and TT, play them 47 times in a row, and understand that making fun, exciting platforming is about reflexes, timing, and danger, not simply pressing the stick in a direction while scripted pieces of the thing you're climbing on break off without you ever being in actual danger of falling off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Played for a bit with the new controls, and it does seem the lag is gone. The motion blur is definitely back too, though it isn't quite the same as it was in Uncharted 2. It looks more realistic most of the time, it seems, less overdone.

Ew, no, UC doesn't need to go open-world. Rather, Naughty Dog needs to sit down with PoP:SoT and TT, play them 47 times in a row, and understand that making fun, exciting platforming is about reflexes, timing, and danger, not simply pressing the stick in a direction while scripted pieces of the thing you're climbing on break off without you ever being in actual danger of falling off.

Amen to that. It's why I still prefer something akin to Tomb Raider Anniversary. Climbing around stuff is actually a proper gameplay mechanic instead of a QTE in disguise in games like that.

The new aiming method makes a big difference by the way. Making fine adjustments is so much easier and snappier now. I'm kinda torn about whether I like the added motion blur or not, though. It still has a tendency to blur stuff more than necessary, and doesn't look anywhere near as convincing as it does in Killzone 2 or God of War 3.

never know until we see it, they can make it like Jak 1.
I totally agree a Jak and Daxter type "semi open world" level structure would be nice for next UC, as long as it wouldn't limit the variety of locales. I'd stil want the game to span different parts of the world.
I don't think a GTA style open world would really work with UC, but a FFXIII type rpg might be an interesting idea :)

I totally agree a Jak and Daxter type "semi open world" level structure would be nice for next UC, as long as it wouldn't limit the variety of locales. I'd stil want the game to span different parts of the world.
I don't think a GTA style open world would really work with UC, but a FFXIII type rpg might be an interesting idea :)

no, not GTA style, dfferent kind of locales is what I want, all type of environment like snow, desert, volcano etc all in 1 uncharted game and you can explore is what I want to see.

What's TT ?

I need to find my Uncharted 3 disc. Misplaced it somewhere over the Thanksgiving break. >_<

This game is amazing. I can't believe how good it looks.
The melee is satisfying and throwing back grenades is fun too.

Tho, I think the game just killed my 40GB fat PS3 :(

What's TT ?

Follow up to Sands of Time ...

Which reminds me - the PSP ports of the Prince of Persia games were actually quite good. Only downsides were load-times, really. They would run quite well on Vita I expect, and if they can make it so that it supports the second analog stick that would make it even better.

@messyman: that sucks! Hearing you have a 40GB, it's likely to be your BD laser acting up, or do you have a proper ylod? Laser tends to be less 'final' an issue.

Errrm... Uncharted isn't a platforming game. None of them are, and i don't see why after three games now some folk seem not to be able to see that. :-S

The core of uncharted gameplay is the shooting. The platforming is intentionally made easy because the game isn't designed around it. Stuff like the platforming and puzzles are only really there to add variety to the gameplay, and whilst they may be basic they add an extra dimension to the core third-person-shooter mechanics.

I don't see how more manual platforming, ala Tomb Raider, would enhance the games. Entering a big gunfighting area for example would be much more frustrating, as not only would you have to be aware the positions of your enemies, the weapons they're using, their movements etc, you'd also have to struggle with hit & miss skill-based platforming. ND would either have to reduce the gunplay and enemy encounters considerably, basically making the game a Tomb Raider clone (and therefore not at all what the playerbase wants - otherwise they'd just go play Tomb Raider), or the game would be a mess.

The platforming in Uncharted is fine. If you want Uncharted to be a different game than it is to appeal to your own personal sensibilities then that's fine, as everyone is entitled to their own tastes. However no offense but i find it entirely obnoxious to make statements about the devs as though they don't know what good platforming is (look at Jak & Daxter for proof that they do), when in reality it's really you who misses the point and entire design focus of what the uncharted series actually is.

I just don't see how a Prince of Persia and Uncharted comparison holds any relevance or merit. You might as well compare gears of war to Mario party and complain about the lack of puzzles in the former, as both games are also two games that are designed to differing gameplay goals.

Also, re the comment about Uncharted platfoming being a QTE in diguise, i disagree. It's hyperbolic and disingenuous. You could say the same about Assassin's Creed, but that equally wouldn't be true.

Platforming in videogames in my mind doesn't always have to be done in a certain specified way, as all games are not equal. Tomb raider and POP platforming wouldn't work in Uncharted, just as Halo open-pen FPS gameplay wouldn't work in Zelda. Different games = different goals...

Last edited by a moderator:
Errrm... Uncharted isn't a platforming game. None of them are, and i don't see why after three games now some folk seem not to be able to see that. :-S

The core of uncharted gameplay is the shooting. The platforming is intentionally made easy because the game isn't designed around it. Stuff like the platforming and puzzles are only really there to add variety to the gameplay, and whilst they may be basic they add an extra dimension to the core third-person-shooter mechanics.

I don't see how more manual platforming, ala Tomb Raider, would enhance the games. Entering a big gunfighting area for example would be much more frustrating, as not only would you have to be aware the positions of your enemies, the weapons they're using, their movements etc, you'd also have to struggle with hit & miss skill-based platforming. ND would either have to reduce the gunplay and enemy encounters considerably, basically making the game a Tomb Raider clone (and therefore not at all what the playerbase wants - otherwise they'd just go play Tomb Raider), or the game would be a mess.

The platforming in Uncharted is fine. If you want Uncharted to be a different game than it is to appeal to your own personal sensibilities then that's fine, as everyone is entitled to their own tastes. However no offense but i find it entirely obnoxious to make statements about the devs as though they don't know what good platforming is (look at Jak & Daxter for proof that they do), when in reality it's really you who misses the point and entire design focus of what the uncharted series actually is.

I just don't see how a Prince of Persia and Uncharted comparison holds any relevance or merit. You might as well compare gears of war to Mario party and complain about the lack of puzzles in the former, as both games are also two games that are designed to differing gameplay goals.

Also, re the comment about Uncharted platfoming being a QTE in diguise, i disagree. It's hyperbolic and disingenuous. You could say the same about Assassin's Creed, but that equally wouldn't be true.

Platforming in videogames in my mind doesn't always have to be done in a certain specified way, as all games are not equal. Tomb raider and POP platforming wouldn't work in Uncharted, just as Halo open-pen FPS gameplay wouldn't work in Zelda. Different games = different goals...

finally, someone I can completely agree with on this matter!

Back