UK views towards Piracy

Blazkowicz_ said:
people who download gigabytes of crap couldn't afford it, or wouldn't buy it anyway.
Without P2P I wouldn't have seen star wars episode 3 until it's out for free on TV.. and I feel like I should have been paid for downloading it :oops:
That's the lamest, most morally disingenuous excuse there is.

"I wouldn't have bought it anyways."

Well, you sure the heck seem happy enough to steal it. What was the last game you bought, anyways? The last movie you paid to go see? The last album you bought?

To me there will be a period of time between batman in the movies and batman in stores . If i download it between that time (which i will ) I don't consider it stealing since the company is not offering to me any other way .

What is funny is that i will still go out and buy batman when it comes out on dvd

RussSchultz said:
Blazkowicz_ said:
people who download gigabytes of crap couldn't afford it, or wouldn't buy it anyway.
Without P2P I wouldn't have seen star wars episode 3 until it's out for free on TV.. and I feel like I should have been paid for downloading it :oops:
That's the lamest, most morally disingenuous excuse there is.

"I wouldn't have bought it anyways."

Well, you sure the heck seem happy enough to steal it. What was the last game you bought, anyways? The last movie you paid to go see? The last album you bought?

you live in a fantasy world where everyone has unlimited funds?
of course, "I wouldn't have bought it anyways."

I'll buy more crap when I'll get richer.

last game I bought is an excellent shareware 3D mahjong.
I don't listen much to music and when I do, it's on radio; and I watch most movies on TV. (have a few gigabytes of fansubs and movies and warezed FPS's though)

I have two other lame and sinful excuses too : Who cares, everyone does it! , and : If I do that the copyright holder doesn't lose anything.

RussSchultz said:

the last overhyped piece of shit game i bought?
the last movie that sucked so much i left theatre?
the last album which is prolly used in Gitmo to torture prisoners?

simple.... i'll DL before buying or going to theatre to see movie or buy CD...
if and only IF i find it worth my money i will buy it.....
i wont pay for crap they overproducing now.
very simple.

out of 5 games i DLed last month i played all 5 of them for no more then 2-3 hours and seen them and crap as they acctually are.... so i uninstalled them and deleted DLed files....
after Doom 3 there is NO way i gonna buy game before i DL and try it....

same goes for movies... i watched Sin City and think its utter crap, just like SW:3.... i was even skipping some scenes in SW:3 cause they were just simply unwatchable....
lots of cash for fancy CGI cant make good movie and i sure as hell will not fall for that corporate marketing shit....

and only music i ever listen are trance mixes from live parties, which you cant buy anyway....

so, as conclusion..... no way i gonna pay for some piece of shit just cause 50.000.000 went into marketing and hype for some movie or that game publishers have been teasing and giving in-game movies and creating hype for year + to find that the game is piece of shit full of bugs you cant play on your current comp....
i wonder how many copies would BF2 sell if they marketed it as "Battlefield 2, you need to buy at least 1 more gig of RAM to experience it to the maximum"....

yeah, great slogan for selling....

bloodbob said:
Ty said:
Two UK university researchers found that people did not see downloading copyrighted material as theft.
Well atleast here in Australia and in the US niether does the law. Its called piracy and there is no criminal pental there are civil ones though.
With Theft you actually loose an actual asset with piracy you loose a possible sale.

Clearly anyone who thinks the piracy and theft are the same are really don't know the difference between loosing money and loosing an oportunaty to make money.

You've misquoted me and someone else because I did not say what you've credited me with.

epicstruggle said:
You are profiting by not spending money on that game/movie/music that you might have purchased had you not STOLEN it in the first place.

epic

I'm still waiting for someone hwo BOUGHT Photoshop or 3DSMax for home use. Just an example, insert any app which costs a few grands.

_xxx_ said:
epicstruggle said:
You are profiting by not spending money on that game/movie/music that you might have purchased had you not STOLEN it in the first place.

epic

I'm still waiting for someone hwo BOUGHT Photoshop or 3DSMax for home use. Just an example, insert any app which costs a few grands.
Are they twisting any arms to force you to buy their product? Just because its expensive does not mean you have a right to steal it. I cant afford to buy a lear jet, ok to steal it?

epic

epicstruggle said:
silence said:
RussSchultz said:
I dont buy, i steal. muhahaha
I fixed your post. ;)

epic

you are such a sweetheart....
11_4_101.gif

epicstruggle said:
Are they twisting any arms to force you to buy their product? Just because its expensive does not mean you have a right to steal it. I cant afford to buy a lear jet, ok to steal it?

epic

maybe if you try? 8)

epicstruggle said:

epic

I completely agree with your point epic but the reason why the two sides do not see eye-to-eye is one of philosophy vs. pragmatism. In their case, they do not see anyone hurt (because the pirater would not have bought the product in the first place). Therefore as there is no victim, there is no crime.

This fits in with prostitution and other so-called victimless crimes.

Don't get me, I am not trying to preach my belief or condemn those that do, I am merely explaining the two sides as I see it.

That said, should you be preaching right vs. wrong when you have profited by the illegal activities your family has commited? In your case, I would call your crimes victimless as well.

Ty said:
That said, should you be preaching right vs. wrong when you have profited by the illegal activities your family has commited? In your case, I would call your crimes victimless as well.

well, when epic breaks the law thats OK, cause it was his ass on the line.... but when someone - godforbids- download something from internet cause he is fed up with overhyped crap marketing and publishers are being forcing into market, then here comes epic in his shiny armor to defend the law... same thing he broke and about which he glots....

i dont think anyone missed his counter about getting US citizenship.... why didnt he make counter of how long it passed since he broke US immigration laws?
and as a side note, those that visit politics forum know that epic himself started several threads about how to stop illegal immigration...

speaking of hypocrisy.... :rolleyes:

Ty said:
epicstruggle said:

epic

I completely agree with your point epic but the reason why the two sides do not see eye-to-eye is one of philosophy vs. pragmatism. In their case, they do not see anyone hurt (because the pirater would not have bought the product in the first place). Therefore as there is no victim, there is no crime.

This fits in with prostitution and other so-called victimless crimes.

Don't get me, I am not trying to preach my belief or condemn those that do, I am merely explaining the two sides as I see it.
Just so my stand is clear. There are 3 camps to this whole debate, those who are thieves (and those who support them), those on the side of riaa/mpaa (and the authors, musicians, programmers), and them my camp. :) My camp is very small. i personally think we should boycott the music/movie/video game industry until many of the problems are fixe, but without stealing from them.

If people keep stealing from them we will end up with drm riddled computer systems. And them everyone loses.

Well, i dont feel like im preaching. Im just trying to stand up for the people who have their income stolen from.

I did benefit from what my parents did, but when i went infront of a judge to ask for my green card, he was presented with the full story. He judged that i should get my green card. Now you can hold that against me or not. Irregardless my point on piracy is still correct. If you cant afford (or dont want) to buy it, you dont have a right to pirate it.

epic

epicstruggle said:
I did benefit from what my parents did, but when i went infront of a judge to ask for my green card, he was presented with the full story. He judged that i should get my green card. Now you can hold that against me or not. Irregardless my point on piracy is still correct. If you cant afford (or dont want) to buy it, you dont have a right to pirate it.

epic

ahhh... that makes it right. if you are not allowed in country, you shouldnt have stayed, together with your parents, no matter what came later (using same logic).

you broke the law, whole family did, getting green card later doesnt make it right and what about jobs you stole from some american family?
you came there illegally to steal jobs....

didnt you? dont tell me you went there for VERY long siteseeing.... :rolleyes:

silence said:
epicstruggle said:

epic

ahhh... that makes it right. if you are not allowed in country, you shouldnt have stayed, together with your parents, no matter what came later (using same logic).

you broke the law, whole family did, getting green card later doesnt make it right and what about jobs you stole from some american family?

you certainly are trying to grasp those straws. ;)

epic

epicstruggle said:
silence said:
epicstruggle said:

epic

you certainly are trying to grasp those straws. ;)

epic

am i?
why did you go there?
to get jobs... true?

so when you came there and broke the law by staying, you stole jobs from some american workers....

dont tell me you went there to boost US ecnomoy or help elect Bush.

in this case epic, you are the one grasping for last straws....

why is ILLEGAL immigration big problem in US? cause they steal jobs from americans.... 1 immigrant more willing to work == 1 less workplace for american....

pretty simple acctually... if your family didnt come and some american built motel on same place, who would he hire?.. americans.....
sooooo, our knight in shiny armor, how many american jobs did your family steal?

silence said:
sooooo, our knight in shiny armor, how many american jobs did your family steal?
Well in the first year -2,
within 5 years -8,
bought our second business, which after a year made it -12 or so.
almost 20 years in and we probably have stolen around -160ish jobs. :)

My parents have had a bit of luck. Every business we ever bought/partnered with has increased their revenues and made us hire more people. Now at 15 motes/hotels, and will be buying another one (my first one :) ) within 2 weeks or so.

epic

Back